Fuel conditioner and storing your 350 for the winter

Frank.Herbst

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Frank
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
Make sure to read the GT350 manual supplement. It states what fuels to use and what additives not to use. Contact Ford performance for any additional questions. I would be careful about using any information not from Ford. We all did things differently with our older cars. Modern warranty policies reward people that follow manufacture's guidelines.
If you want to do something good for your Shelby, don't let it sit for months. So many places that have bad weather get a couple days warm enough each month to start your car. Already January here in Colorado and my Shelby has been out every month. No to mention it's great to hear her run with not much else going on.
Sponsored

Nfs1000f

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Neal
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 & 2019 Ford Fusion SEL Hybrid
Living in upstate New York makes it hard for me to take my car out during the four months it is stored when there is the occasional warm day. Prior to storing my car each year, it gets fully detailed than covered. A short drive on winter roads, even dry ones, will leave the car coated in a fine dusting of road salt and dirt. It is not feasible to go ahead and detail the car again each time I take it out. I agree with your point that it’s better to drive the car then let it sit, but I think most of us who live in the northern US face the same dilemma.

Frank.Herbst

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Frank
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
Living in upstate New York makes it hard for me to take my car out during the four months it is stored when there is the occasional warm day. Prior to storing my car each year, it gets fully detailed than covered. A short drive on winter roads, even dry ones, will leave the car coated in a fine dusting of road salt and dirt. It is not feasible to go ahead and detail the car again each time I take it out. I agree with your point that it’s better to drive the car then let it sit, but I think most of us who live in the northern US face the same dilemma.
I know it's difficult to get out in different areas. Did you see my earlier post where someone described how to turn the engine over with out starting it? I had mentioned that after restoring several early Shelby's I noticed the assembly lube in the engine would drain out over a period of time. In that case I always pressured the oil system before the first start. We restored all of the major systems while waiting for the body shop.
Anyway someone responded to my post and let us know you can turn over the engine with out starting it. Maybe one way to circulate the oil after it has been sitting for an extended period.

Nfs1000f

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Neal
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 & 2019 Ford Fusion SEL Hybrid
I know it's difficult to get out in different areas. Did you see my earlier post where someone described how to turn the engine over with out starting it? I had mentioned that after restoring several early Shelby's I noticed the assembly lube in the engine would drain out over a period of time. In that case I always pressured the oil system before the first start. We restored all of the major systems while waiting for the body shop.
Anyway someone responded to my post and let us know you can turn over the engine with out starting it. Maybe one way to circulate the oil after it has been sitting for an extended period.
Hold down the gas and the clutch to the floor at the same time and hit the start button. The engine will turn over without starting for 4-5 seconds.

Postal Bob

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350
I agree. My car is prepped for storage in a similar way. Plus, with the original Pilot Cup 2 tires, it could be detrimental to take the car out in temps below 40.

Hold down the gas and the clutch to the floor at the same time and hit the start button. The engine will turn over without starting for 4-5 seconds.
That is fine if all I want todo is circulate the oil. But what most of us in the Northeast, who are unable to take out our cars in Winter, are concerned with, is maintaining the quality of the gas left in the tank for 2-4 months.

Sponsored

Frank.Herbst

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Frank
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
I agree. My car is prepped for storage in a similar way. Plus, with the original Pilot Cup 2 tires, it could be detrimental to take the car out in temps below 40.

That is fine if all I want todo is circulate the oil. But what most of us in the Northeast, who are unable to take out our cars in Winter, are concerned with, is maintaining the quality of the gas left in the tank for 2-4 months.
Another reason I don't fill my car up with gas late fall going into winter.

Postal Bob

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350
Another reason I don't fill my car up with gas late fall going into winter.
An empty tank,as opposed to a full one, is more likely to accumulate condensation/water, than an empty one.

Make sure to read the GT350 manual supplement. It states what fuels to use and what additives not to use.
The manual says nothing about fuel stabilizers. They mention things like octane boosters, magnesium based additives, and lead based fuels.
Plus, one tankful, once a year, should not have any long term effect vs the positive attribtes it provides.

Frank.Herbst

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Frank
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
An empty tank,as opposed to a full one, is more likely to accumulate condensation/water, than an empty one.

The manual says nothing about fuel stabilizers. They mention things like octane boosters, magnesium based additives, and lead based fuels.
Plus, one tankful, once a year, should not have any long term effect vs the positive attribtes it provides.
I never store a car in a humid environment. As I mentioned before I restored 60's Shelby's. Moisture is a problem for cars that sit. Not just in the tank. I always ran a dehumidifier when humidity was above 50 percent. Never had any issues with corrosion on any metal or connectors. Also I mentioned checking with Ford and reading the supplement. Just depends how much you want to reduce the risk of warranty issues. I know Ford can look for signs of staining in the fuel system.

Frank.Herbst

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Frank
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
One last thing, when fuel contains ethanol it has a 90 day life. By then phase separation (water and ethanol sink to the bottom of the tank) is significant. No over the counter product fixes this, over the counter fuel products for fuels with ethanol mainly prospect against corrosion and help remove moisture. Less fuel in the tank during the winter and running your car when you can is probably a good idea.

Ozark427

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dennis
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
I've been using Sea Foam in all my Harleys and Cobra for years and have not had any problems. I do follow the directions and measure for the correct amount. Never added any to the Shelby because I do get to start and drive it during milder winter days.

Sponsored

Frank.Herbst

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Frank
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
I've been using Sea Foam in all my Harleys and Cobra for years and have not had any problems. I do follow the directions and measure for the correct amount. Never added any to the Shelby because I do get to start and drive it during milder winter days.
I used a fuel additive in the older cars because of the open fuel system. They attract a crazy amount of moisture when driving in humid conditions. I don't remember if sea foam has the same corrosion protection that Sta-Bil has for older cars, before fuel systems were made to handle ethanol.

Postal Bob

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350
One last thing, when fuel contains ethanol it has a 90 day life. By then phase separation (water and ethanol sink to the bottom of the tank) is significant
I'm not sure it's that extreme. My 2019 GT350, and my 2016 F150 were both left over models. That both sat at the dealers for 1 -1 1/2 years with the original gas in them. And the F150 sat outside at the dealer. If seperation was that severe, Im sure I would've noticed problems when I first bought them.

lenFeb

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Len
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350 #K0110
I'm not sure it's that extreme. My 2019 GT350, and my 2016 F150 were both left over models. That both sat at the dealers for 1 -1 1/2 years with the original gas in them. And the F150 sat outside at the dealer. If seperation was that severe, Im sure I would've noticed problems when I first bought them.
Agree. My 2019 GT350 production date 2/2019. Purchase date 9/3/2019. 2019 cars were sitting at the Ford factory lot waiting for the steering wheels for a longer time.

Frank.Herbst

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Frank
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
Agree. My 2019 GT350 production date 2/2019. Purchase date 9/3/2019. 2019 cars were sitting at the Ford factory lot waiting for the steering wheels for a longer time.
Modern cars pull timing on lower octane (old) fuel. It is still not the best for your car and if enough old fuel is run they can tell from detonation issues. That's why they tell you low octane voids engine warranty.
Sponsored