Frustrating to park it all winter

Fly2High

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Frank
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2
Oh I agree, it can be done, didn't mean to imply it couldn't. I live 5 minutes from Flat Rock, my wife is a Ford employee, so we have a million of these cars around here. People do drive them in the winter, leave them parked in their driveways, etc.

It pains me seeing one covered in snow and plowing through slush, even though you can, why would you want to? You lose all the performance aspects, and the car looks trashed covered in salt and grime. Performance and looks are why we drive them, isn't it?

Anyway, interesting debate, no right or wrong answer.
Spartan1,
Could not agree with you more. agree with your comments too.

I agree that it pains me to see my car or any other nice car covered in snow or outside. Just put an order in for a car cover much like I did for my beloved '86 Dodge Daytona Turbo Z. It makes taking the snow off much easier. I will NEVER drive any car or SUV with snow on it. God forbid it comes off and causes an accident. Besides, I think it is illegal to do so, at least by me.

I tend to like endurance or F1. I prefer motorsports that do drive in nearly any condition. For me, being able to eek out the most from whatever you have is fun too. It is not just driving the fastest or taking turns at crazy rates of speed. Some days, it is just being able to drive in poor conditions is enough. There are challenges in snow or bad weather that can be fun too. Best part in winter is that speeds tend to be slower and there is less damage should something go wrong. It is why the BRZ is such a fun car even though it doesn't have the performance of a Mustang.

A coworker and I purchased cars at the same time. He too like speed and handling but went for an M2 Comp. I said, once you get use to all the bells and whistles, all the comfort and plushness, you can never go back. I think the same is true with the Mustang. i think once you experience the performance of today's Mustang, it is hard to drive anything else. Maybe the same is true about poor conditions. Maybe we all want to drive like it is dry and warm out but cannot. Some just don't. Others see and appreciate the challenges in those conditions and make the best of it.

I think some of us LOVE to get the looks of, they are crazy to drive THAT in the snow too!!

Also, I have a squeegee style snow broom that I zip tied a microfiber towel over the blade. no chance that will scratch the paint. I will never use any brush on a car again.

In winter, I use 1 gallon of water and two caps of ONR to wash the car whenever it gets dirty. That is at least once a week. Crazy? YES!! But at least the car is clean in winter. Quick Detailer lives in the trunk with some microfiber towels. Good for immediate removal of bird droppings, spilled coffee, or any other things that people do on other people's car.

What I get at is that even though this is a daily that is parked outside, I think I can speak for all us daily drivers, we still love our car and treat it with as much respect as possible.

Finances are another aspect too.
I have NEVER had the money for a second car so I cannot fathom having that kind of spare cash for a second car just for the winter. I completely respect those who can or grew up in a house where they had a weekend car in the garage. I never did.

I also do not have garage space to park a second car.

With my experiences and finances, I do not have the option to have a second car. I can only do the best with what I have.

This is why it sort of feels like bragging when people say they have all this stuff. It simply isn't possible for all of us. For many who have purchased a Mustang (which we all must be grateful to otherwise we may not have the choice to buy one) it is our only car.

It just sounds like bragging. I would love to have the choice but I do not. Have done the best I can with what I have.

What would all those who have a second car do if they could only afford one car? Can they still only drive it 6-8 months a year? What would you do the rest? Remember you do not have much cash. Taking the train, bus or taxi might not be an option.

On the other side, maybe I will be a little happier knowing that all those guys who have their Mustangs tucked away for the winter cringe and wish they were driving theirs when they see me driving mine all winter long. I am sure it is not just sorrow that you feel for the car but there must be some desire to drive their own too in there..

Just to turn this story around to the other season of hell, what do you guys do in the summer?

For those who do not have a garage but live in hot climates, do you leave it outside and bake in the sun, fade and have all those issues related to high heat and too much sun?

I have a red car than in the sun belt would probably turn pink in a few years from sun exposure. A cover is the best I could do on Long Island.

What do you do to protect it from the summer heat?
You do drive it in the summer? The rubber and black and all those red or dark colors do fade with time.

Is your garage air conditioned or does it sit in the garage like a turkey in an oven baking? A garage can get hot too. Rubber and plastics do not like heat.

Do you not drive it when it is too hot and sunny out too?

Do you have the luck of a parking garage at work to protect it? OOps, sorry. You probably have a second car so you would not be driving it to work anyway. Where do you drive it? Is it ever outside of a garage?

Do you ever park it for any length of time or is it just driven for a little and then put back in its garage?

For those who swap spots in the garage based on the season, does your car live outside in the summer or are you fortunate also with multicar garage as well? That must mean you have a rather good income too. Got a position for me?

What about bird poop? Do you clean it as soon as it happens? Not many birds in winter around here. Then, on the west coast, you have all that pollution which imbeds it into the car. I had a writeup from Meguiars that told me specific things on car care based on location. Smog does ruin paint.

I had a buddy who use to live on Long Beach, NY. The sand use to get blown up onto the streets from the beach. Anyone live by the water? The blowing sand can scratch and etch a paintjob real good. At least sand and salt form winter are only applied and really a problem if and when it snows and when and where I drive it. For me, main roads tend to be clear within 24 hours and there isn't much sand around.

Of course, I can PPF the car or save for a paintjob but use Imron for the paint!. That stuff is aircraft paint and can take a sledgehammer and not chip. Panel will dent before the paint will break/crack.

I guess those who have a garage, extra cash and a spare car are living the good life. I wish, someday to join you.

The only difference might be is that I just might have 2 Mustangs instead of one. One for the daily and the other for the weekend.

Here's to praying.

I am not sure which is worse. Sun or snow. Neither is probably best. What is worse than a car getting old is a car not driven and appreciated. Please drive them long and often. Keep them in good condition.

All we can do is the best with what we have, treat them with as much respect as possible and keep them running for as long as possible. I think we all can agree to that.
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP
Mikepol2

Mikepol2

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1, 2019 Ram 1500
Rare sunny high 50's December day so I got to actually drive it to work today... nice to get it out but these tires do NOT like it below 80 degrees. Tons of traffic too so really couldn't open it up much. Not being able to drive it fast on public roads has been a bummer with my past Mustangs too but this one is definitely the fastest and best handling. Thinking about starting to autocross it in the spring, there's really no way to approach the limits on regular roads. Did a track day once about 30 years ago at Summit Point in West Virginia, what a hoot that was. Most adrenaline-pumping part of the day was following a 1980-ish Mazda RX-7 that flipped onto its roof. Pulled off the track and ran over to pull the guy out. About 5 seconds later the car exploded! There's a drag strip not far from here too if I wanted to go the 1/4 mile route. This car is just too capable to be satisfied slogging it to work and back.

OP
OP
Mikepol2

Mikepol2

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
Hard to argue... Maybe in 50 years Pittsburgh will be the Miami of the north!

stantonabc

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Stanton
Vehicle(s)
Mustang Bullitt 2020
Buying a car and keeping in a garage for months makes little sense to me. Buy a picture of the car and then look at the picture. It would be a lot cheaper.

Reddirocket27

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
2018 CPO EB Prem Conv w/ 201A
A good set of winter tires, snow mode, and a full tank of gas over the rear axle makes garaging it ridiculous. Drive like a sane person, keep rev's low and you'll be fine. If it's too dangerous to drive with the above mentioned done, it's probably to dangerous to drive period. The amount of garage cars is way too high.

Sponsored

Qcman17

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cam
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT A10 Velocity Blue 301A
Mine went into my garage yesterday for the winter months. If we get a mild spell in January I'll pull it out for a rip or 2. If not oh well. I usually get it back out mid March and judge accordingly. This is just a cool toy for me and there is no joy in sliding it around in ice, slop and snow so I'd rather keep it nice while I wait for better conditions to do what I bought it for and that's to let it rip :)

I'm always a little sad when parking it but when I pull it back out its like getting a new car & I get to experience why I bought a Mustang all over again. :clap:

Fly2High

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Frank
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2
When all of you were young, did any of you enjoy doing doughnuts in the snow?

Where is that inner child?

I still enjoy just seeing that I can still handle a car in the white stuff.

This is just like why I enjoy archery. Many ask why do that when rifles and shotguns are so much more accurate. It is all about the challenge.

Sure, the Mustang is not the easiest tool in the snow and there are better but it can be improved with the right set of footwear and driving modes. I find driving in adverse conditions really hones your driving skills. If the vehicle makes it too easy, how do you improve for the day when your tool gives up traction? You need to experience how your tool reacts and be comfortable with it to really escape a serious situation.

I once saw a racing school that was teaching drifting and they had a car that had a frame around it to reduce the traction. You could slide at like 20mph. To me, this is kind of what driving is like in snow - training for the day I do lose traction.

It is still fun too. My doughnut days may be behind me but I still amongst the fear and panic of driving in snow there is a part of me still enjoying it.

Let the inner child out

Ebm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Guy
Vehicle(s)
'14 GT
Drive the damn car! This isn't a Ferrari and it isn't a '65 Mustang. My car has seen rain, snow, hail (not my choice, got stuck in a freak storm one afternoon), sun, everything you can think of short of a tsunami. Not to mention, it has an aftermarket hood with vents. Doesn't matter if lots of rain or snow gets in the vents because everything you have to worry about is sealed. Only thing that happens if it's been sitting is a little steam comes up once the motor starts.

Some people treat their car better than a newborn, it's crazy...

OP
OP
Mikepol2

Mikepol2

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
Beautiful Pittsburgh mornings like this are the reason it stays in the garage most of the winter... I see no reason to force feed driving it when it's snowing if you have a better option. Of course the Polar Bear Club people love to jump into the river when it's freezing out too for some reason so to each their own.

IMG_3101.JPG

I Bleed Ford Blue

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2023 grabber blue metallic Mach 1
Around here the polar bear club jumps into lake Erie. Just west of cleveland where I'm at, we got about an inch. I can still see the concrete on my driveway.

Sponsored

Mach VII

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT 401A, 1989 Lincoln Mk VII LSC
E4391D05-90A5-4057-9234-DD8AB4C6C275.jpeg
AF895B16-4237-49F9-95F7-A597D0CAEFB9.jpeg

About 18” and still coming down. Took me two hours to shovel out three vehicles, waiting for the plow guy.

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
Drive the damn car! This isn't a Ferrari and it isn't a '65 Mustang. My car has seen rain, snow, hail (not my choice, got stuck in a freak storm one afternoon), sun, everything you can think of short of a tsunami. Not to mention, it has an aftermarket hood with vents. Doesn't matter if lots of rain or snow gets in the vents because everything you have to worry about is sealed. Only thing that happens if it's been sitting is a little steam comes up once the motor starts.

Some people treat their car better than a newborn, it's crazy...
I just don't want rust to ever grace my mass produced depreciation machine. It's ugly, and since I work on my own stuff I don't want to see or experience it if I don't have to 🤔
Sponsored