DaveB

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
18 gt350, 16 gt/cs (wife)
Vehicle Showcase
The Mustang sits in the garage all winter because of having a truck for a DD. It's the definition of garage queen - it always looks nice because I never drive it unless the roads are dry, and it rains in Pittsburgh all the time (when it's not snowing). But it SUCKS looking at it sitting there doing nothing from November till April. I'll start it up for a few minutes while plowing snow in the driveway but that's about it. When money it tight the feeling is "damn, why I am making payments for it to sit there?" The rest of the time it's "damn, I can't wait to be able to drive it with the windows down again!" Today I put the winter wheels and tires on my wife's car as the Mustang was sitting there all quiet and shiny, and it was so frustrating thinking that it's gonna be months before being able to smell the warm fresh spring air as I'm cruising around looking at all the buds popping up on the trees. RRRRGGGGHHHH!!!!!! Wife and I are moving to Arizona as soon as we retire!
Unless you had to, don't sell it on the impulse of it just sitting there taking up space. It will be all worth it come spring and summer when you get to have the windows down, breathing in the fresh air, looking at the beautiful green plants and blue sky, and listening to the beautiful exhaust note and feeling it underneath you! Priceless
Sponsored

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
BTW bucket list includes attending Penguins games in Vancouver, Winnipeg, Calgary and Edmonton!!!!
Yeah I'd avoid downtown Winnipeg. Unless you take a cab to & from the Bell/MTS center to a hotel in the burbs haha. To bad betman ain't saying a damn thing about the 20/21 season..

OP
OP
Mikepol2

Mikepol2

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1, 2019 Ram 1500
Unless you had to, don't sell it on the impulse of it just sitting there taking up space.
You know what they say, fool me once, shame on you... fool me twice, shame on me. Made that mistake with the 2003 Cobra and won't make it again!

OP
OP
Mikepol2

Mikepol2

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
Yeah I'd avoid downtown Winnipeg. Unless you take a cab to & from the Bell/MTS center to a hotel in the burbs haha. To bad betman ain't saying a damn thing about the 20/21 season..
Bad area around the arena I guess? It's the same here, the scalpers and homeless people around PPG Paints Arena are harmless enough, but go about 4 blocks in any direction and you better be packing a sidearm.

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
but go about 4 blocks in any direction and you better be packing a sidearm
Here if your packing a sidearm you'll get way more jail time than the bum tryna rob you. But yah.. they don't call it Murderpeg for nothing.

Typical:

Last edited:

Sponsored

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
For all those who are looking to keep their car a long time. I know I would love to keep this one forever.

Do we all think that electrical components will last forever?

I always wanted to do a restoration of a classic car (late 60's , early 70's) and part of that was because they were so simple and everything was mechanical that you could.

With all the computers, connectors and such, what are all of us going to do when parts become scarce? I think they only need to make parts for something like ten years or so.

What is our plan when we have a low mileage/ higher year car but we start having electrical issues?

I had an '86 Dodge Daytona that needed several sensors replaced and the ECM by 10 years of age. I know, it's a Dodge and that one was not so well build either and it was the quality of the 80's.

Do we feel car these days CAN be kept for 20+ years?
Will it still run?

Cars today are so complex making it more likely for something to fail.

My wife's uncle has an all original '69 GTO Judge (might be a '68 - forget). He drives it to car shows! I wonder if any car these days can still be driven 50 years from now assuming we all still can buy gasoline, etc for them. Assuming all the lubricants and fuel are available, will they still work?

Maybe this is why I use my car as often as I can and in my case daily, even in winter. I am not so sure it will be running so many years down the road simply because it will be impossible to find parts.

Thoughts??
This is a good train of thought to consider. However, as someone who grew up with computers, I've found that they are generally quite reliable. Most solid state electronics are. Vehicle electronics have the bonus of being engineered for temperature extremes and repeated heat cycling, as well as extra protection from other potential issues. Cars may be more complicated than they were decades ago, but they're also constructed better. Better metals, better rust protection, and we're in decade #3 of computers running the show, so a lot of that has been perfected. Does that mean Sync 3 will still be working great in 10 years? Probably not, but I do have reasonably high confidence in the engine computer and BCM continuing to work with no problems. My 22 year old Taurus still runs without missing a beat, despite having an early generation fuel injected, computer controlled engine.

Spartan1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Eruption Green GT 400A
Posted this in the 'ecoboost in winter' thread.

I just don't understand why people want to drive a performance car (albeit a Mustang, not a Porsche) through the snow, slush and ice that we have here in MI for 5 months a year. On top of not being able to enjoy what the car is meant for, it looks like chit the entire winter.

But to each their own, as long as people are safe.

It is kind of sad saying goodbye, wish I had a 3 car garage so I could at least see it.

storage.jpg

Spartan1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Eruption Green GT 400A
Quick question, does everyone pull their collision coverage off while it's in storage? That is 1 silver lining not being able to use it.

StangTime

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
19' GT PP1 Manual
Quick question, does everyone pull their collision coverage off while it's in storage? That is 1 silver lining not being able to use it.
Yes sir I do.

OP
OP
Mikepol2

Mikepol2

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
I don't, my policy doesn't save a lot of money by doing it, and I want to be able to take advantage of any rare nice winter days that pop up.

Sponsored

I Bleed Ford Blue

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2023 grabber blue metallic Mach 1
I do. The first year I dropped it down to fire and theft coverage only my insurance company at the time (nationwide) informed me that some banks will not allow it, that they require full coverage year round until the loan is paid in full. So I called the bank who financed the car, a local Ohio based bank, and they told me that they get so many requests for exactly this that they actually have a special dept to handle the requests. In the end they told me it was not a problem and go ahead and drop the coverage down to comprehensive only.

I had planned to store my car during winter since before I bought it, and yes I can afford to have a $48K toy that sits for 6 months a year. If you notice my sig, the mustang is the oldest vehicle in my current fleet and the least expensive one too.

Last edited:

SloRyd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rich
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT
I’m sorry for me, these cars are just to beautiful to trash all winter long. I don’t care about resale value or depreciation.

It’s like when I see a nice car in line to get beat with the rollers at the Speedwash... I mean it’s yours 😬 do what you wish.

Just because Ford produces a bunch of them doesn’t mean they should be destroyed and thrown out.

But I guess some kids kept their toys nice and others just destroyed them and went on to the next.

Grew up in NH...home of winter, my last vehicle in that state was an 89 S10 and you could see the ground under your feet because the floor pan was rotted out.

No vehicle deserves that.

I Bleed Ford Blue

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2023 grabber blue metallic Mach 1
Having grown up around Cleveland, I remember back before they started using galvanized steel body panels, it was not uncommon to see ~5 year old cars in the junkyard because they were that far gone already. Even cars of today start to show signs of the dreaded car cancer as early as 3 to 4 years old. I had a 2001 chevy cavalier that I bought new in October 2000, by 2011 the frame rails were so far gone that when it was rear ended with what amounted to a love tap, the insurance deemed the car unsafe and totaled it out, it only had 86K miles at the time. I also remember that back in the seventies there used to be muffler shops on just about every street corner because the average life of an exhaust system was around 15-18 months.

Fly2High

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Frank
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2
Posted this in the 'ecoboost in winter' thread.

I just don't understand why people want to drive a performance car (albeit a Mustang, not a Porsche) through the snow, slush and ice that we have here in MI for 5 months a year. On top of not being able to enjoy what the car is meant for, it looks like chit the entire winter.

But to each their own, as long as people are safe.

It is kind of sad saying goodbye, wish I had a 3 car garage so I could at least see it.

storage.jpg
It is not a race car. It is not a track car. It is not a drag car.

It is a grand tourer.

By definition, A grand tourer is a type of sports car that is designed for high speed and long-distance driving, due to a combination of performance and luxury attributes.

Nowhere does it say that a grand tourer cannot handle winter weather. Many grand tourers are driven to make the drive to ski resorts and such.

Sure, many want to believe this car is only a race/track/drag car specially built for just that purpose. It is not. Jack of all trades, yes. Can it do much when raced, sure.

At its roots, it is transportation that allows the drive to be more fun.
Sponsored