Frustrating to park it all winter

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
Move to south florida you will get 360 days of summer and 5 days of autumn. Lol no need to worry about any salt on the roads
But then I'd have to deal with humidity and Florida Man. As a desert rat I say no thanks lol
Sponsored

Troutwrangler

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT PP2 Magnetic Metallic
N
Wow thats news to me. Is like that in Western Oregon by the coast as well?
No, I was going to mention that if you're west of the Cascade Mountains you don't get the cold winters like we get east of the Cascades. It usually rains for weeks on end over there and cloudy. If they get 4"+ of snow over there, everything shuts down, or close to it. The west side of the state doesn't have the snow and ice issues to deal with normally. If they get snow they try to plow it and then wait for it to melt.

Where I'm at in Central Oregon (near Sunriver, south of Bend) I'm at approx. 4300' elevation.
East of the Cascades we get the cold, snowy winters.

I'm like @ice445... a high desert rat. I don't like humidity or rain.... and I absolutely hate mud.

Last edited:

IrishStallion

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 gt mustang
Mine sits in the garage all winter, but I still drive it (dry, no salt) as long as temps are 32 above. Cannot really get on it much without massive wheel spin 32-50 degrees.

brucelinc

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT premium A10 (SOLD)
Mine sits in the garage all winter, but I still drive it (dry, no salt) as long as temps are 32 above. Cannot really get on it much without massive wheel spin 32-50 degrees.
Yeah, high power and cold pavement are not a great combination.

Sponsored

RPDBlueMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350 Heritage Edition, Civic Type R
No, I was going to mention that if you're west of the Cascade Mountains you don't get the cold winters like we get east of the Cascades. It usually rains for weeks on end over there and cloudy. If they get 4"+ of snow over there, everything shuts down, or close to it. The west side of the state doesn't have the snow and ice issues to deal with normally. If they get snow they try to plow it and then wait for it to melt.

Where I'm at in Central Oregon (near Sunriver, south of Bend) I'm at approx. 4300' elevation.

I'm like @ice445... a high desert rat. I don't like humidity or rain.... and I absolutely hate mud.
I see. Wouldn't consider myself a desert rat, but I do not like humidity or rain. I lived in Tennessee for 3 years and that humidity was insane. California has really spoiled me with the nice weather. I would like to stay but I just can't stand getting my wallet hate raped on everything and the politics here are hard to ignore. I only moved because I wanted to go to college on the beach with my best friend from the Army. I am graduating soon and looking at graduate schools.

When I was younger I didn't mind the cold but now I have some bullshit disease and I am pretty much allergic to the cold now. I would like a place like Santana Barbara, 70 degrees year round if thats even possible lol. Im thinking there are places in Southern Colorado that have pretty mild weather. There is the desert heat of New Mexico and then there's the cold from Denver, I am sure there is some overlap where it is mild. Same with southern Idaho maybe.

I am a bitch with weather I know but I got my reasons lol.

Last edited:

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
N

Yep, salt lake is right around 4300ft as well. My skin gets dry in the winter but its worth it, lol. Other than the power loss my engine experiences

Troutwrangler

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT PP2 Magnetic Metallic
I see. Wouldn't consider myself a desert rat, but I do not like humidity or rain. I lived in Tennessee for 3 years and that humidity was insane. California has really spoiled me with the nice weather. I would like to stay but I just can't stand getting my wallet hate raped on everything and the politics here are hard to ignore. I only moved because I wanted to go to college on the beach with my best friend from the Army. I am graduating soon and looking at graduate schools.

When I was younger I didn't mind the cold but now I have some bullshit disease and I am pretty much allergic to the cold now. I would like a place like Santana Barbara, 70 degrees year round if thats even possible lol. Im thinking there are places in Southern Colorado that have pretty mild weather. There is the desert heat of New Mexico and then there's the cold from Denver, I am sure there is some overlap where it is mild. Same with southern Idaho maybe.

I hear what you're saying....
You need to be where the climate works in your favor with health issues.
You'll find a good place to call home.

As far as your wallet getting hate raped and the politics, Oregon is getting to the same place as California is with our Communist governor.

Soulja4187

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT Premium & 2022 Audi A5 S-Line

The humidity here isnt as bad as Tennessee, we get the ocean breeze. You make it seem like you going to live outside all day! Lol, you ever heard of an AC? Its a good match while drinking your margaritas :crackup:

Fly2High

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Frank
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2
I find it interesting you say that Florida doesn't have bad humidity. It is surrounded by water on three sides and tends to rain every day in the afternoon or at least that was the impression I got from business trips and vacations. The temps were either hot and humid or oppressive and humid.

For me, I prefer my high temps to be around the 80's to low 90's and just deal with the snow. I do not handle heat well. My sister in Austin tells me she traded the cold winters so that she can stay indoors all summer long in A/C. Not sure I prefer skin cancer to frostbite.

I also like that we have thin, soft grass, not thick blade weeds for a lawn and that our trees change color. in the fall. I also do not love that the temps are so hot that you cannot grow several kinds of flowers and plants. Sure, you can plant them, I guess, in the fall and watch them bloom in the winter? just seems odd to me.

I guess I am a NYer born and bred and here is where I'll stay unless health makes me move. You all can take a sigh of relief!

Sponsored

Fly2High

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Frank
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2
For all those who are looking to keep their car a long time. I know I would love to keep this one forever.

Do we all think that electrical components will last forever?

I always wanted to do a restoration of a classic car (late 60's , early 70's) and part of that was because they were so simple and everything was mechanical that you could.

With all the computers, connectors and such, what are all of us going to do when parts become scarce? I think they only need to make parts for something like ten years or so.

What is our plan when we have a low mileage/ higher year car but we start having electrical issues?

I had an '86 Dodge Daytona that needed several sensors replaced and the ECM by 10 years of age. I know, it's a Dodge and that one was not so well build either and it was the quality of the 80's.

Do we feel car these days CAN be kept for 20+ years?
Will it still run?

Cars today are so complex making it more likely for something to fail.

My wife's uncle has an all original '69 GTO Judge (might be a '68 - forget). He drives it to car shows! I wonder if any car these days can still be driven 50 years from now assuming we all still can buy gasoline, etc for them. Assuming all the lubricants and fuel are available, will they still work?

Maybe this is why I use my car as often as I can and in my case daily, even in winter. I am not so sure it will be running so many years down the road simply because it will be impossible to find parts.

Thoughts??

Soulja4187

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT Premium & 2022 Audi A5 S-Line
Yes while we are surrounded by water the humidity isnt as bad as when I lived in Georgia ATL, the summer there my very heavy and humid and the cold wasnt for me so that's why we moved back down to south florida. While it rains here often there are times that we can go weeks without rains. What do you mean soft grass? If I'm not mistaken the grass in Georgia dried out and was a bitch to walk on barefoot, my grass here in my back yard is as soft as a very plush carpet.

Last edited:

Fly2High

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Frank
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2
Yes while we are surrounded by water the humidity isnt as bad as when I lived in Georgia ATL, the summer there my very heavy and humid and the cold wasnt for me so that's why we moved back down to south florida. While it rains here often there are times that we can go weeks without rains. What do you mean soft grass? If I'm not mistaken the grass in Georgia dried out and was a bitch to walk on barefoot, my grass here in my house is as soft as a very plush carpet.
You have not experience a lawn until you walked on Northern grass. the Southern stuff is weeds to us.

From what I recall of my Earth Science, for it to rain, you need 100% relative humidity. If you have rain every day, it must reach 100% humidity. It might also be easier to handle when it is very hot and that the sweat if vaporizing off you. That was my experience. Also, if it get hotter out, relative humidity drops because the atmosphere is capable of holding more water and the temps rise. If you have larger swings in temp over the course of the day, it is effectively drying out as it warms up even if the amount of water in the atmosphere doesn't change.

Then again, I have never lived below the Mason Dixon. I think relativity plays a lot. A buddy of mine is Jamaican and he told me stories when his relatives would visit from the Island. it was in the fall and in the low 50's. they would be wearing parkas!! For them, it was really cold. To most of us, it was short sleeve weather and maybe a light jacket.

DogNPony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Royal Crimson, 2019 Bolt EV LT
The real measure of discomfort is the dew point temperature. There are parts of Alaska that have high relative humidities, but the temperature and the dew point are still low. Anytime the dew point is above about 65F it is considered "muggy".

Mean Maximum Dew Point Temperature (August).png

vernonator

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT w/PP - Race Red
Living in Central IA I feel the pain as well...however when its dry mine comes out for a spin now and then in the winter. Never if its snowing, never if there is slush snow on the road but even here we have plenty of days when the roads are dry - either because its cold and no melt or just no snow around. They can be few and far between but every couple weeks she comes out for a cruise into town or some other drive. I WFH full time (even before the 2020 craziness) and have a couple other options to drive so I can be selective. Get those ponies out on dry sunny days in the winter....they deserve it and so do you.
Sponsored