Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
GT PP2 RaceRed Roush> Steeda> preformance
Vehicle Showcase
I believe the science behind the statement, but .... letting it idle will raise the temp. Starts fast idle, warm drops down, is it the same a driving no. Oil temp, I would argue that when the pressure drops, you're seeing the oil at temp. The temperature gage seen in the instrument cluster is the coolant .

Does it lube the internals yes, scrub the cylinder walls yes, keep the gaskets from drying out yes. Bottom line some run time is much better than none.

You're right about it being ok to drive above 40 but with the thin paint Ford gives us I'm not willing to drive in the sand and salt.

Not pop that ballon, no paint stands up to sand and salt
Sponsored

OP
OP
Mikepol2

Mikepol2

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1, 2019 Ram 1500
Supposed to be sunny and 54 tomorrow in Pittsburgh and no rain today so the roads are dry... Steelers and Ravens all got the vid so no game to watch... will definitely be blasting out the carbon tomorrow afternoon!

Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I 've not read the paint is thin, its 2 stage top & clear coat. But I will find out, for now I will agree to disagree.

Juantrickpony

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
15GTPP
I 've not read the paint is thin, its 2 stage top & clear coat. But I will find out, for now I will agree to disagree.
Most new car paint is getting thinner and thinner to cut costs, no way around it. Fords problem is it’s ‘hard’ paint which leads to easy chipping. Get paint protection film if it’s a concern.

Sponsored

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
The paint is terrible, I picked up so many rock chips in the dumbest places, especially on the side of the car. Unless you full wrap with PPF, you're going to beat the paint up simply using the car.

Jmtoast

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2018 Roush GT
Vehicle Showcase
You're right about it being ok to drive above 40 but with the thin paint Ford gives us I'm not willing to drive in the sand and salt.
as long as you stay off the highways during rush hour traffic you’ll be fine. It’s the highways with the big trucks you’re stuck behind that throw up the rocks.

Briebee72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2019
Of course not, part of why I have a winter beater instead of 2 nice cars. But it's fairly well acknowledged that the paint on the mustangs are not the most durable so there's no reason to add sand and salt if I don't have to. I want to do my best to keep the car looking as good as I can.
I will add yes the paints delicate. but. so is everycar. My last 4 cars on each of their respective forums was the same complaint about thin paint. I think its all cars not just ford. Most blame epa rules but who knows. My 07 focus looks like its been shot at with BB guns. And civics the clear coat peals off...

Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Most new car paint is getting thinner and thinner to cut costs, no way around it. Fords problem is it’s ‘hard’ paint which leads to easy chipping. Get paint protection film if it’s a concern.
How can you say that, multi spray nozzle / tipped, robots do the painting from every angle.

DogNPony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Royal Crimson, 2019 Bolt EV LT
"I believe the science behind the statement, but .... letting it idle will raise the temp. Starts fast idle, warm drops down, is it the same a driving no. Oil temp, I would argue that when the pressure drops, you're seeing the oil at temp. The temperature gage seen in the instrument cluster is the coolant .

Does it lube the internals yes, scrub the cylinder walls yes, keep the gaskets from drying out yes. Bottom line some run time is much better than none."

I know the temperature gauge on the dash is coolant temperature. I'm referring to the oil temperature display you can bring up in the digital display between the tach and speedo. In cold weather it can take 15 to 20 minutes of driving to get that up to "normal" and probably longer to get it above the boiling point of water. (I wish it displayed actual temperature like every German car I've had.) I doubt the oil would ever get up to temperature just by idling.

Sponsored

Deleted member 35786

The Mustang sits in the garage all winter because of having a truck for a DD. It's the definition of garage queen - it always looks nice because I never drive it unless the roads are dry, and it rains in Pittsburgh all the time (when it's not snowing). But it SUCKS looking at it sitting there doing nothing from November till April. I'll start it up for a few minutes while plowing snow in the driveway but that's about it. When money it tight the feeling is "damn, why I am making payments for it to sit there?" The rest of the time it's "damn, I can't wait to be able to drive it with the windows down again!" Today I put the winter wheels and tires on my wife's car as the Mustang was sitting there all quiet and shiny, and it was so frustrating thinking that it's gonna be months before being able to smell the warm fresh spring air as I'm cruising around looking at all the buds popping up on the trees. RRRRGGGGHHHH!!!!!! Wife and I are moving to Arizona as soon as we retire!
Come summer in Arizona when its 115 degrees might change your mind. With the climate getting warmer you might want to stay north.

Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Come summer in Arizona when its 115 degrees might change your mind. With the climate getting warmer you might want to stay north.

You really do need to realize, "climate getting warmer" ... is a myth !

Climate changes every min. hr & second of the day 24 X 7 X 365 X millions of years.

fmc_smt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 gt , 2015 Escape , 2015 F250
Vehicle Showcase
You do realize that not all of Arizona gets that hot , I'm at 3250 ft and we might see a couple weeks at 110 , but at night it cools down to the 60s . More people die from exposure at night because of the temperature drop that happens once you get out of the concrete jungle.

Jmtoast

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2018 Roush GT
Vehicle Showcase
You do realize that not all of Arizona gets that hot , I'm at 3250 ft and we might see a couple weeks at 110 , but at night it cools down to the 60s . More people die from exposure at night because of the temperature drop that happens once you get out of the concrete jungle.
OMG 60 degrees? How do people not just freeze solid? 60 degrees? We hit beach if it hits 60 In The winter

SloRyd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rich
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT
Here in Cali I won’t even take the car out in the rain... going to use the next couple “rainy months” to get everything on point for spring time. Use the winter downtime to your advantage!

Looking forward to Pony’s at the Pike 2021!
Sponsored