Frustrating to park it all winter

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
A lot of mustang and corvette enthusiasts needs to hear this. People are treating these mass produced sports cars like some sort of limited production run rare collector items. I understand if your hobby is to collect mustangs and you want a museum grade show car in 20 years to never take it out in the rain. But the vast majority of people bought these things because they like driving it, if you can't afford to take the depreciation hit on these cars from driving then you really can't afford to own one.
Some people just like having a nice toy too though. I'm not driving mine much this winter not because I'm afraid of depreciation, but because I want to keep it nice. I plan on keeping it for at least 10 years, and keeping the miles and wear and tear down is a good idea for anything that will stay around long term. I mean maybe things will change, but I could afford the car now when I may not be able to in the future due to starting a family. Id rather have a paid off toy ready to go instead of wishing longingly to have one, lol

I'm confident in my beater because in another life I would have been a mechanic, for now I just use the skills for my own benefit ;)
Sponsored

RPDBlueMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350 Heritage Edition, Civic Type R
Agreed....
Around Central Oregon the brine solution (magnesium chloride) is used generously. It is some nasty shit for car finishes...
I don't mind keeping my pony in the stable for 5-6 months to protect it....
Wait wtf? They use that instead of salt?

RPDBlueMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
There is plenty of places to live in Nevada, not just sin city. Get up closer to Reno, much cooler than the brutal desert heat of Vegas.

I myself plan on retiring to Tennessee, another no tax state but much closer to home to come visit around the holidays. And Tenn is a good compromise, far enough south that the winters are fairly mild, but far enough north that you don't get the brutal heat and humidity of the deep south.
I would reconsider Tennessee or at least take a look into it more. The winters were pretty bad and the humidity was pretty bad when I was there. They don't normally get snow but they get alot of ice storms.

I would like to retire in North Carolina, I only have been there once but every time I think of that humidity it just makes me angry.

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
Brine is cheaper so most states have switched to it. With that said, drier states out west will still rust your car less. Moisture is needed to get those ions flowing, so with less of it in the wild youre only really hurting the car once its being driven in snow and slush. When I lived in Ohio it was common for 10 year old cars to go to the scrap yard from terminal rust. Here in Utah old cars are plentiful because they rust so much more slowly. My 22 year old Taurus still looks great underneath despite not being cared for.

RPDBlueMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Put winter tires on it and drive it then. At the end of the day it's a car,,not an investment. If it's not paying enough happiness dividends then its not doing its job. Fluid film, PPF and winter tires will do just fine.
This is my dilemma, I want to get the Micheline pilot 4s tires but it's a waste to replace my Micheline Sport Cup 2s because they are low mileage 😫

Sponsored

RPDBlueMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Brine is cheaper so most states have switched to it. With that said, drier states out west will still rust your car less. Moisture is needed to get those ions flowing, so with less of it in the wild youre only really hurting the car once its being driven in snow and slush. When I lived in Ohio it was common for 10 year old cars to go to the scrap yard from terminal rust. Here in Utah old cars are plentiful because they rust so much more slowly. My 22 year old Taurus still looks great underneath despite not being cared for.
Hmm interesting, I didn't know that. I am conflicted about my next move, I like the weather on the west coast, but it is depressing at times because all of my family lives on the east coast in shit areas lol.

I always thought rust was from the salt and bullshit on the roads getting kicked up, not from moisture (I do know that rust is from oxygen reacting with iron). Wow 22 years? That is impressive. My first car was a 2004 Crown Victoria and I got it back in 2013 and it was already bad (was from New Hampshire)

Do you know about the cars in Florida? Nice weather but humid as hell. Would the moisture cause rust?

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
Hmm interesting, I didn't know that. I am conflicted about my next move, I like the weather on the west coast, but it is depressing at times because all of my family lives on the east coast in shit areas lol.

I always thought rust was from the salt and bullshit on the roads getting kicked up, not from moisture (I do know that rust is from oxygen reacting with iron). Wow 22 years? That is impressive. My first car was a 2004 Crown Victoria and I got it back in 2013 and it was already bad (was from New Hampshire)

Do you know about the cars in Florida? Nice weather but humid as hell. Would the moisture cause rust?
Rocks and BS nicking the paint is how it gets started yeah, but moisture content determines if it leaves surface rust or starts up the cancer machine. Florida cars generally don't rust, the only exception is if it does a lot of sitting near the coast.

Briebee72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2019
Maybe I've just seen too many people worrying so much about the value of their car they forget why they even bought the thing. Ford made so many of these if you screw up the paint on one just go and buy another one. Like I said unless car collecting is a hobby just drive the thing when it's safe
Yes sir thats my point. Just drive it stop worrying about salt or rocks or what ever the reason NOT to drive it is. Seems people buy cars and come up with more reasons to not drive it then to drive it. To me thats like buying a a cake to sit it on the counter to tell yourself you are on a diet and then not eat it.

OP
OP
Mikepol2

Mikepol2

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1, 2019 Ram 1500
The real question is did you buy the car to look nice or to have fun driving it. With how long the winters are where I am you'd spend half the year just looking at how good your clear coat is.
Both. And yep normally here in Pittsburgh, from Dec 1 - March 31 I might drive it twice. Have owned it 2-1/2 years and it just passed 6,000 miles.

Sponsored

Troutwrangler

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT PP2 Magnetic Metallic
Correct.
They spread cinders on the road when it gets icy as well.
The magnesium chloride is typically used on bare pavement right before a storm hits and it supposedly keeps the road surface from icing up as fast....
It leaves a thin, oily film on your vehicle and you need soap and water minimum to clean it off.
Its corrosive too. Any paint chips to metal and nicks in chrome will start rusting almost immediately.

Troutwrangler

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT PP2 Magnetic Metallic
Some people just like having a nice toy too though. I'm not driving mine much this winter not because I'm afraid of depreciation, but because I want to keep it nice. I plan on keeping it for at least 10 years, and keeping the miles and wear and tear down is a good idea for anything that will stay around long term. I mean maybe things will change, but I could afford the car now when I may not be able to in the future due to starting a family. Id rather have a paid off toy ready to go instead of wishing longingly to have one, lol
Same here...
I already have 2 daily drivers.
The Mustang is a toy, and I could afford it now, maybe not later in life.

RPDBlueMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Correct.
They spread cinders on the road when it gets icy as well.
The magnesium chloride is typically used on bare pavement right before a storm hits and it supposedly keeps the road surface from icing up as fast....
It leaves a thin, oily film on your vehicle and you need soap and water minimum to clean it off.
Its corrosive too. Any paint chips to metal and nicks in chrome will start rusting almost immediately.
Wow thats news to me. Is like that in Western Oregon by the coast as well?