Qcman17

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cam
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT A10 Velocity Blue 301A
I don't "Park it all Winter"

I'm lucky that I have a Truck to drive and the Mustang stays in the garage during snow and salty slushy days. I do drive the Mustang every couple weeks when the weather allows and I look forward to that quick ride. No Battery tender or anything special for the winter. This car is my retirement car and I plan on driving it many many years from now ... I hope :sunglasses:
I'm in a similar boat. I have a work truck I drive all winter. The Mustang is just a toy and so driving it in slop just isn't fun to me. I do put a tender on mine but if the weather turns nice I will take it out and set it free! I did this with my Camaro SS before it too.

Yes its just a car but I like keeping it pristine and hope to own it for a long time as I really do love this car. I would take my Camaro out for a ride or cruise this car I pull it out to drive it-hard!
Sponsored

StangTime

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
19' GT PP1 Manual
We are free to do with our cars what we like in regards to when and how much we drive them. I would love to drive my Stang all year round but the winters are so hard on cars in Canada.
I bought a 2014 Ford Fusion 5 years ago. I have have to drive to another city to work and it's a 40 minute trip one way. 90% highways, farm roads, gravel trucks, tractors, are all encountered daily. My car looks like it went through hell. Rock chips, dents, broken fender liners, a windshield that looks like it was sandblasted, and now I have an undercarriage panel half missing from the passenger side. It got ripped to pieces because there was a chunk of scrap metal lying in the middle of the road (looked like a computer case). I had no choice but to drive over it due to being boxed in. Then there's the ice boulders that drop off everyone's cars. The Fusion is not high enough to clear most of them so that's more damage. I really should be driving a pickup or Stupid Ugly Vehicle for more ground clearance. The Mustang sits too low. There is no way in hell I am subjecting the Mustang to any of this shit. It will always sleep for the winter.

Jmtoast

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2018 Roush GT
Vehicle Showcase
We are free to do with our cars what we like in regards to when and how much we drive them. I would love to drive my Stang all year round but the winters are so hard on cars in Canada.
I bought a 2014 Ford Fusion 5 years ago. I have have to drive to another city to work and it's a 40 minute trip one way. 90% highways, farm roads, gravel trucks, tractors, are all encountered daily. My car looks like it went through hell. Rock chips, dents, broken fender liners, a windshield that looks like it was sandblasted, and now I have an undercarriage panel half missing from the passenger side. It got ripped to pieces because there was a chunk of scrap metal lying in the middle of the road (looked like a computer case). I had no choice but to drive over it due to being boxed in. Then there's the ice boulders that drop off everyone's cars. The Fusion is not high enough to clear most of them so that's more damage. I really should be driving a pickup or Stupid Ugly Vehicle for more ground clearance. The Mustang sits too low. There is no way in hell I am subjecting the Mustang to any of this shit. It will always sleep for the winter.
Yeah that's life in Michigan winter also. Rust and ground clearance is the least of your concerns, lol. It's a warzone for cars.

Jeff58

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang EcoBoost HPP
I used to do that when I had my 2012 and 2014 Mustangs, neither one ever saw rain or snow and were parked from end of Oct to end of April. I was able to afford to do that back then as I had other vehicles to drive, but not now (and it was a lot of money to spend to only drive a tiny bit each year, the black 2012 was so nice and only had 4500 miles when I traded it in, the dealer said it was the first used car he ever put on the show room floor....I was joined by good company a GT500 and GT350 in subsequent years) The 2014 GT only had 2500 miles when I traded it, they were both better than new. I decided this will be my only vehicle, but I work from home all the time now and do not have to go anywhere. I have only put 500 miles on it since Oct 16th. Since I have multiple cats in the garage I have multiple car covers on it so they can't scratch it though I am sure down the road either they will or it will pick some up just from driving. But still will only take it out once the roads have been cleared off. i also put on all-season tires since the HPP comes with summer only and went with a staggered looked using 275/40/19 in back.

Last edited:

Phil_Werrell

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Vehicle(s)
GT350
Ford actually recommends a 235/50R18 for winter tires on the GT. Of course that might not fit on a PP1 or PP2 b/c of the Brembos.

Narrow tires should have a smaller footprint. A smaller footprint will produce more pressure per square inch than a larger one. The way tires work in the snow is that they catch snow in the grooves and use snow on snow for traction. It is said that snow sticks to snow better than does rubber. Also, narrower tires will not follow marks/ruts left by other cars as much as a wider tire will and will cut through the snow. Wide ones float on top and provide little traction.

I do not see the value in buying a car that depreciates whether you drive it or not. For those who have long winters or those who have lots of rain, why bother buying the car? I guess you have more discretionary spending money than I do. IT is one thing to be a collector but another to just park it. I cannot afford a second car and would not want to drive a beater wondering if it will make it where I want to go. It is another thing to have two good cars. Not in my price bracket. Even if I had the money, I do not think I would ever want any form of utility vehicle. I prefer sedans and coupes. Station wagons are fine or at least better than the Supid Ugly Vehicle.

Also, tires, winter tires - not all season, have always been the ideal tire for winter. With traction control and snow modes in everything, I am surprised how many still feel the need for a different car in winter. Cars today do far better, when equipped right, in the snow than ever before. Do a search on the net for all those videos of 2WD with winter tires outperforming 4WD with All Season tires. Also, they are not snow tires, they are winter tires. They are designed to catch snow for better traction in the snow AND have rubber compounds to better grip the road in temps below 50 degrees. Summers tend to to do well starting at 50 and do really poor below 40. All season do have slightly better rain traction but do not have enough channels and sipes to catch enough snow to really be great in the snow. Better than a summer - yes but not ideal for any one weather. If you want max traction, a set of summer and a set of winter tires is the best way to go. Those of us who have been around before all season tires remember when it was normal to swap tires in winter. That is still the best way to have traction.

We do get snow on Long Island but they tend to be great about it. It is rarely on the ground more than a day. Besides, all those SUV and truck owners stay home when it snows anyway. I have to laugh how many people own AWD/4WD cars, claim to love the environment, and never drive in inclimate weather. SUV manufacturers make them because they allow lesser fuel economy requirements than cars, they weigh more, often have increased drag and will use more fuel (at real highway speeds - not the fake government sticker values you see on the car that averages 48 mph on the highway).

Everyone can do what they want as long as they keep buying 2 door cars with great power so I have something to drive. Also, please get a manual from time to time. I prefer to have buttons and digital joysticks on my video game consoles, not my cars. Besides, if you keep the Mustang looking new, I will have something to buy in good condition for parts for my car!!

Enjoy Your Mustang anyway you like. It is all good as long as you buy them and enjoy them.
A lot of mustang and corvette enthusiasts needs to hear this. People are treating these mass produced sports cars like some sort of limited production run rare collector items. I understand if your hobby is to collect mustangs and you want a museum grade show car in 20 years to never take it out in the rain. But the vast majority of people bought these things because they like driving it, if you can't afford to take the depreciation hit on these cars from driving then you really can't afford to own one.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Mikepol2

Mikepol2

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1, 2019 Ram 1500
People are treating these mass produced sports cars like some sort of limited production run rare collector items. I understand if your hobby is to collect mustangs and you want a museum grade show car in 20 years to never take it out in the rain. But the vast majority of people bought these things because they like driving it, if you can't afford to take the depreciation hit on these cars from driving then you really can't afford to own one.
Has nothing to do with not being able to afford the depreciation. There are an awful lot of guys with cool classic muscle cars at shows that still look nice today because their owners can afford to park them and not beat them up. I park it for the winter because I can afford to drive my truck instead, and like the Mustang to stay looking nice, but I still love to drive it and take it out any chance I get.

jmack

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT, 2002 F-250 7.3 PSD
If the roads are dry and it's at least 40deg, the Mustang will come out to play even in an upstate NY winter. I have the super duty and my wife's exploder for the rest of the time.

Briebee72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2019
if you can't afford to take the depreciation hit on these cars from driving then you really can't afford to own one.
LOL from driving it... My cars window sticker was 52k I talked them down with everything discounts and all to I think it was 39/40k. While I was on the lot before i bought the car I ran its vin through kbb with 500 miles on it (just random low number) Kbb said it was worth 26 trade LOL and I had not even bought it yet. Half price with no driving on the odometer yet LOL

I agree no offence but those treating these appliances like treasures are misguided for sure. I dont care how well kept you keep it with in 8 to 10 years its gonna be on a used lot for 6k.

Just drive them and enjoy them they are not precious commodities. Like was said what's the point of buying a car you cant drive for 6 months and then when you do its only on every other weekend? Maybe should of bought a proper car for your climate? IM about to get a c8 and I promise it will be traded well used like all my cars.

OP
OP
Mikepol2

Mikepol2

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1, 2019 Ram 1500
I agree no offence but those treating these appliances like treasures are misguided for sure. I dont care how well kept you keep it with in 8 to 10 years its gonna be on a used lot for 6k.

Just drive them and enjoy them they are not precious commodities. Like was said what's the point of buying a car you cant drive for 6 months and then when you do its only on every other weekend? Maybe should of bought a proper car for your climate?
I don't understand why everyone wants to keep harping on trade in values and depreciation when it comes to those of us who garage it. I DON'T CARE WHAT MY CAR WILL BE WORTH WHEN I TRADE IT IN. I like it to look nice and be in good condition, for the same reason I don't have a beater on concrete blocks in the front yard. I also happen to like performance cars and would rather pay the extra money to live in a northern climate near my family and park the Mustang for the winter, than move to a climate where I only need one car and can drive it all year.

LSchicago

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lloyd
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT/A 301A 5.0
Mine will sit all winter too, but will come out with a Procharger @12# with E85.

Sponsored

Briebee72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2019
I don't understand why everyone wants to keep harping on trade in values and depreciation when it comes to those of us who garage it. I DON'T CARE WHAT MY CAR WILL BE WORTH WHEN I TRADE IT IN. I like it to look nice and be in good condition, for the same reason I don't have a beater on concrete blocks in the front yard. I also happen to like performance cars and would rather pay the extra money to live in a northern climate near my family and park the Mustang for the winter, than move to a climate where I only need one car and can drive it all year.
Sorry not harping. Just usually its the owners of the garage queens that are the ones going on about keeping its value. So was just commenting. Not directing anything toward you personally.

Jmtoast

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2018 Roush GT
Vehicle Showcase
It's like the Manual vs A10 argument. Never gets old. Most people that garage it do so because they can afford it. You don't see many sports cars up here in Michigan being driven in a foot of snow unless some kid is behind the wheel. Grownups don't usually do it.

brucelinc

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT premium A10 (SOLD)
I enjoy my Mustang's performance and acceleration. No way to enjoy it on slick roads so it stays in the garage in the winter unless the roads are dry.

Fortunately, there are many days in a Minnesota winter when roads are dry so I take advantage of those. I would never park it from November to April like some people do. I do exchange my summer tires for all seasons when it gets cold.

I do keep my car as pristine as possible....for ME....not for resale. Driving it on cold dry winter days is no more harmful than driving it during hot summer days.

Phil_Werrell

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Vehicle(s)
GT350
Has nothing to do with not being able to afford the depreciation. There are an awful lot of guys with cool classic muscle cars at shows that still look nice today because their owners can afford to park them and not beat them up. I park it for the winter because I can afford to drive my truck instead, and like the Mustang to stay looking nice, but I still love to drive it and take it out any chance I get.
The real question is did you buy the car to look nice or to have fun driving it. With how long the winters are where I am you'd spend half the year just looking at how good your clear coat is.

Phil_Werrell

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Vehicle(s)
GT350
LOL from driving it... My cars window sticker was 52k I talked them down with everything discounts and all to I think it was 39/40k. While I was on the lot before i bought the car I ran its vin through kbb with 500 miles on it (just random low number) Kbb said it was worth 26 trade LOL and I had not even bought it yet. Half price with no driving on the odometer yet LOL
Maybe I've just seen too many people worrying so much about the value of their car they forget why they even bought the thing. Ford made so many of these if you screw up the paint on one just go and buy another one. Like I said unless car collecting is a hobby just drive the thing when it's safe
Sponsored