Frustrating to park it all winter

Phil_Werrell

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Vehicle(s)
GT350
Winter? Park it? Nah son, ain't got time for that.

Got me some meats for the cold season and ready to roll. Now I won't take it out in more than a couple of inches of snow (and even then it's only to go slide around my neighborhood for some fun), but just because it's cold and/or rainy doesn't mean I can't drive it.

1606761618068.png
That's what I did with my GT and plan on the same with the Shelby. I spent 50k on a car to drive it, I didn't pay that much money to have something pretty to look at in the garage.
Sponsored

Donm308

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
15 Mustang GT Convertible
78CF3A1E-BE5A-4FCA-A87C-44D8DE75FD9F.jpeg
Just rearranging the shop this morning, get everything in it’s place for the winter.

I’m 50 miles west of Boston, last year our first storm of the season was December 3-4 and we got 2 feet of snow. Hoping this winter isn’t as bad.
Awesome looking garage!!!

brucelinc

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT premium A10 (SOLD)
Mine was parked for the long MN winter until we got a bonus day over the holiday weekend in the mid-50s, so my fun cars got to come out. Everybody else thought the same thing apparently, lots of cars and bikes out.

It's over now though, back to 30s for highs. :frown:
It is a beautiful sunny day and no snow in sight for the next few days!

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels

Sponsored

Mach VII

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT 401A, 1989 Lincoln Mk VII LSC
Winter? Park it? Nah son, ain't got time for that.

Got me some meats for the cold season and ready to roll. Now I won't take it out in more than a couple of inches of snow (and even then it's only to go slide around my neighborhood for some fun), but just because it's cold and/or rainy doesn't mean I can't drive it.

1606761618068.png
Damn dude, that's pretty wide for a winter tire. Something thinner might perform better?

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
Damn dude, that's pretty wide for a winter tire. Something thinner might perform better?
I can't imagine, a narrower tire will have just have less tread blocks in the middle but as far as the tread blocks they are the same size. So if anything, this has more tread to grip more snow/ice.

The fronts are narrower obviously so those will be better at plowing through the snow. But in the rear I want as much tread to grip more snow/ice.

See below, a 225 tire has just as wide tread blocks in the middle just that there are 3 of them vs. mine that have 4.

1606768063723.png

Mach VII

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT 401A, 1989 Lincoln Mk VII LSC
I can't imagine, a narrower tire will have just have less tread blocks in the middle but as far as the tread blocks they are the same size. So if anything, this has more tread to grip more snow/ice.

The fronts are narrower obviously so those will be better at plowing through the snow. But in the rear I want as much tread to grip more snow/ice.

See below, a 225 tire has just as wide tread blocks in the middle just that there are 3 of them vs. mine that have 4.

1606768063723.png
Narrower tire will cut through snow and make better contact with the ground vs wide tire which tends to float on top.

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
Narrower tire will cut through snow and make better contact with the ground vs wide tire which tends to float on top.
Possibly, but if you're on compacted snow with 0 exposed ground, it doesn't matter if you have a 185 tire or 345 tire...it won't cut through to the ground.

And at that point, wouldn't a wider tire with more tread be able to grab onto the packed snow better to create traction?

Lgb0250

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Larry
Vehicle(s)
22 Mustang GT Premium, 22 Lexus 450h Luxury
I find it hard to wrap my head around not driving my car all winter! Why buy one just to look at? I bought mine to drive it and drive it hard. I was in the auto game for many years on the retail side of things so I probably have a little different perspective than many others. But, we always had a saying that it was just a piece of metal. Don’t fall I love with it. I treat it with respect because of how much I paid for it but it is really only a piece of metal sitting in my driveway and if I don’t drive it as a DD why throw that much money away.

Sponsored

poncho@home

GettingOld
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Premium
Preaching to the choir brother...been storing my summer ride for 30 years, either a car or a motorcycle or both.

These days I actually hibernate 2 summer rides, my Mustang and a BMW cabrio.

Luckily we have a Subaru and Audi Q5 for the winter! So different fun!

Nate_V8

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT/CS
I have to store mine in a spot I can't see or work on it all winter, I've always stored my mustangs like this but they were foxbodies (6) that would rot away at the thought of road salt. This winter is the first time I've half regretted storing my mustang and not getting winter tires. I say half because if it wasn't in storage I would have to take it everyday no matter what due to covid and my wife working from home and can't leave a stick car for her ( plus she wouldn't drive it if she could). So shitty 30cm snow storms and ice days...etc. Would have to take it.
Also...
The thought of having a fender bender on a long drive to work in a snow storm or salt/rocks that pelt the car on those other shitty wet days prevents me from taking it out as I obsess a little over the paint lol. I see other mustangs during the winter but as I pull along side them at the lights it justifies me storing it. Besides It gives me something to look forward to over the winter and plan my mods for spring. As soon as it comes out it's getting a ford performance track kit all around, billet mounts, bigger front sway, toe links, GT350 mani/TB and pmas.

Maybe next year, if everything is back to normal and I can leave it home on shitty days. Maybe.

Fly2High

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Frank
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2
Possibly, but if you're on compacted snow with 0 exposed ground, it doesn't matter if you have a 185 tire or 345 tire...it won't cut through to the ground.

And at that point, wouldn't a wider tire with more tread be able to grab onto the packed snow better to create traction?
Ford actually recommends a 235/50R18 for winter tires on the GT. Of course that might not fit on a PP1 or PP2 b/c of the Brembos.

Narrow tires should have a smaller footprint. A smaller footprint will produce more pressure per square inch than a larger one. The way tires work in the snow is that they catch snow in the grooves and use snow on snow for traction. It is said that snow sticks to snow better than does rubber. Also, narrower tires will not follow marks/ruts left by other cars as much as a wider tire will and will cut through the snow. Wide ones float on top and provide little traction.

I do not see the value in buying a car that depreciates whether you drive it or not. For those who have long winters or those who have lots of rain, why bother buying the car? I guess you have more discretionary spending money than I do. IT is one thing to be a collector but another to just park it. I cannot afford a second car and would not want to drive a beater wondering if it will make it where I want to go. It is another thing to have two good cars. Not in my price bracket. Even if I had the money, I do not think I would ever want any form of utility vehicle. I prefer sedans and coupes. Station wagons are fine or at least better than the Supid Ugly Vehicle.

Also, tires, winter tires - not all season, have always been the ideal tire for winter. With traction control and snow modes in everything, I am surprised how many still feel the need for a different car in winter. Cars today do far better, when equipped right, in the snow than ever before. Do a search on the net for all those videos of 2WD with winter tires outperforming 4WD with All Season tires. Also, they are not snow tires, they are winter tires. They are designed to catch snow for better traction in the snow AND have rubber compounds to better grip the road in temps below 50 degrees. Summers tend to to do well starting at 50 and do really poor below 40. All season do have slightly better rain traction but do not have enough channels and sipes to catch enough snow to really be great in the snow. Better than a summer - yes but not ideal for any one weather. If you want max traction, a set of summer and a set of winter tires is the best way to go. Those of us who have been around before all season tires remember when it was normal to swap tires in winter. That is still the best way to have traction.

We do get snow on Long Island but they tend to be great about it. It is rarely on the ground more than a day. Besides, all those SUV and truck owners stay home when it snows anyway. I have to laugh how many people own AWD/4WD cars, claim to love the environment, and never drive in inclimate weather. SUV manufacturers make them because they allow lesser fuel economy requirements than cars, they weigh more, often have increased drag and will use more fuel (at real highway speeds - not the fake government sticker values you see on the car that averages 48 mph on the highway).

Everyone can do what they want as long as they keep buying 2 door cars with great power so I have something to drive. Also, please get a manual from time to time. I prefer to have buttons and digital joysticks on my video game consoles, not my cars. Besides, if you keep the Mustang looking new, I will have something to buy in good condition for parts for my car!!

Enjoy Your Mustang anyway you like. It is all good as long as you buy them and enjoy them.

Last edited:

Rock&Roll

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Stick- 2022 VW GTI Stick -2011 HD Fatboy
I don't "Park it all Winter"

I'm lucky that I have a Truck to drive and the Mustang stays in the garage during snow and salty slushy days. I do drive the Mustang every couple weeks when the weather allows and I look forward to that quick ride. No Battery tender or anything special for the winter. This car is my retirement car and I plan on driving it many many years from now ... I hope :sunglasses:

Fly2High

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Frank
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2
I decided two things when I purchased my Mustang:

1. It was a daily driver - not a garage queen
2. Got the phone number of a great body shop should I need them ever in the future.

We hope to keep this car long into the future too. Not too many V8s in the future electric world and even less manuals!!
Sponsored