Sponsored

front tires chords showing, what to do

MagneRush

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT PP1 / 10auto
hey guys, it’s been a long time, 2 kids later i’m back on the forum! lol anyways, my 2018 GT PP1 with MagneRide (stock performance wise) has chords showing on the front tires after 5 years and 26K miles. the tires are the originals that came on the car.
Michelin Pilot Sport 4S (staggered)
  • front: 255/40ZR19
  • rear: 275/40ZR19

I’ve been researching a bit and have seen a bunch of different opinions on what sizes should be used.

I was looking into the NITTO 555 G2 but just recently seen some negative reviews on them so i’m not sure what to do, should I stay with the Michelin Pilot Sport 4S tires? or any other tires are better for my driving (mainly road/highway and this is not my primary vehicle so I don’t get to drive it that much - 26K miles in 5 years)

I’m also looking into a bit bigger/meatier tires to have a flush/slight poke possibly. I read that 305s would not fit on my rear wheel (9.5” wheel). I don’t want to modify the springs, no spacers, and want to keep the stock wheels.

any replies would be appreciated with your experiences with the tires I mentioned and different size options.

Thanks guys!
Sponsored

luc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT with PP
hey guys, it’s been a long time, 2 kids later i’m back on the forum! lol anyways, my 2018 GT PP1 with MagneRide (stock performance wise) has chords showing on the front tires after 5 years and 26K miles. the tires are the originals that came on the car.
Michelin Pilot Sport 4S (staggered)
  • front: 255/40ZR19
  • rear: 275/40ZR19

I’ve been researching a bit and have seen a bunch of different opinions on what sizes should be used.

I was looking into the NITTO 555 G2 but just recently seen some negative reviews on them so i’m not sure what to do, should I stay with the Michelin Pilot Sport 4S tires? or any other tires are better for my driving (mainly road/highway and this is not my primary vehicle so I don’t get to drive it that much - 26K miles in 5 years)

I’m also looking into a bit bigger/meatier tires to have a flush/slight poke possibly. I read that 305s would not fit on my rear wheel (9.5” wheel). I don’t want to modify the springs, no spacers, and want to keep the stock wheels.

any replies would be appreciated with your experiences with the tires I mentioned and different size options.

Thanks guys!
If you want to keep your wheels, you are also stuck with the stock sizes tires. Simple as that
26k miles is not bad.

1 old racer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Will
Vehicle(s)
2018 Royal Crimson GT PP1 prem., and others
Vehicle Showcase
with that wheel set up try Continental Extremecontact Sport 02, The widest tire suggest by Tirerack is 265/35-19 front and 285/35-19 rear. For everyday street driving they wear better the the PS4's and cost less.

Oakley

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lee
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang
stock size tires for stock wheels and with that mileage i'd keep what you got. from what i've heard that's a pretty good run on those. i will be going to continentals when the time comes for me

The Demon

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brett
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1 N5809, 2019 Mustang GT Premium PP1
Vehicle Showcase
I went with the Nitto 555 G2’s on the 2019 and I’m not happy and can’t wait for them to burn down so I can go to Conti extremes. Have them on the M240i and am very happy.

Sponsored

skinnyb

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT Premium PP1, 10 Auto Grabber Blue
I second that the Nitto's are crap. I got my Velgen VF5 and got them as a package deal and they are terrible. Not too bad if the weather is pretty warm (ie 70 F) and the pavement is bone dry. If it is the least bit cool or the road is wet, they are downright dangerous. I drove my car home yesterday in the rain, not heavy rain but rather a light shower. I took off at a red light at only 1/4 throttle two different times and it got very squirrelly very fast. I have 305 wide on mine, on my stock PP wheels with Michellin Pilot all season 4, in stock size they are way more planted and drive much better. I am like the above poster, I can't wait to wear them down and get rid of them and go to Michelin or Continental.

OP
OP
MagneRush

MagneRush

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
If you want to keep your wheels, you are also stuck with the stock sizes tires. Simple as that
26k miles is not bad.
not sure about being stuck with the same sizes, there are other options people have done and are mentioning in this thread.

OP
OP
MagneRush

MagneRush

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
with that wheel set up try Continental Extremecontact Sport 02, The widest tire suggest by Tirerack is 265/35-19 front and 285/35-19 rear. For everyday street driving they wear better the the PS4's and cost less.
i’ve seen others recommend this tire, might have to give it a try, thanks for the input!

OP
OP
MagneRush

MagneRush

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
has anyone tried the Firestone - FIREHAWK INDY 500

i’ve seen a youtube video on them and they were happy with them. they are significantly less expensive, i’m curious if they would be good

luc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT with PP
not sure about being stuck with the same sizes, there are other options people have done and are mentioning in this thread.
There is a big difference between which sizes you can physically fit on a rim and what is the optimum size for handling. 275 on 9.5 and 255 on 9 is about the optimum size
After all isn’t that what Ford choose?
So, yes, if you’re not after optimum handling you can fit different sizes

Sponsored
OP
OP
MagneRush

MagneRush

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
There is a big difference between which sizes you can physically fit on a rim and what is the optimum size for handling. 275 on 9.5 and 255 on 9 is about the optimum size
After all isn’t that what Ford choose?
So, yes, if you’re not after optimum handling you can fit different sizes
yeah that’s true, that is what Ford chose and that’s what I was thinking as well, but I’m curious as to what others have done and have found out other than the stock setup, a lot of people have done different things and I haven’t been here for a while and want to learn if it’s worth trying another setup or sticking to what I have

luc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT with PP
yeah that’s true, that is what Ford chose and that’s what I was thinking as well, but I’m curious as to what others have done and have found out other than the stock setup, a lot of people have done different things and I haven’t been here for a while and want to learn if it’s worth trying another setup or sticking to what I have
If i was you, for maximum handling, i will get another set of rear wheels, mount them with 275 and use them in front with 5mm spacers.
No modifications needed and your car will handle so much better by drastically reducing understeer
You can find used pp1 wheels for dirt cheap
And as an extra bonus, you can now correctly rotate your tires and extend their life

Idaho2018GTPremium

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Camaro ZL1 A10
You could probably go 265/40 front and 285/40 rear. They’d be a little taller profile than stock but would fill in the fender gaps a little better. I wouldn’t recommend going 265/35 and 285/35 as the tire diameter would be too small, increasing the fender gap and a big change on your speedo and odometer accuracy. If it was me I’d just stick with the stick sizes on those rims. I wouldn’t like the taller profile look of going up one size in width, and I definitely would not like the smaller dia tires.

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
I mean, 26k an no complaints? MP4S is a great tire, just get another set and call it a day.

you could try the Contis, but I wouldn’t recommend going wider with that tire, they tend to be a bit softer in the sidewall and won’t perform all that well run wide on narrower wheels.

MAGS1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
Continental Extreme Contact Sport 02 is every bit as good as the PS4S. As far size, stick with the OEM size for optimum performance. Go one size up if you want a little more tire but are willing to sacrifice a little feel. There is not much choice for 285/40 as someone suggested, you’ll have to go to 285/35.

Friends don’t let friends buy Nitto G2’s
Sponsored