Sponsored

Front plate mount options end of 2018- what is the most popular?

What did you use for front plate display?

• Total voters

LIGHTNING350

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
2018 shelby Gt350
Vehicle Showcase
ZL1 Addons, but with a left and right receiver installed

8BBF9E24-6186-4571-92C7-27252C94B67E.jpeg
EB44A6E3-0566-47F3-8047-9C4F7A02A14B.jpeg
10671892-EA4E-4402-9845-FE3B204E420D.jpeg
EC31344E-4D59-4F76-8640-3A50519DB237.jpeg
First off sweet car man. The way you got your plate mounted is good as well if you absolutely have to put one on. I'm in upstate New York and am suppose to have one on too - however in my years and years of never putting them on my muscle i've never had a problem, sure I have had my balls broken over it but they always have let me go with the promise that ill put it on or they just simply dug my ride and let me go (knocking on wood currently).
Sponsored

OP
OP
Hawkspring

Hawkspring

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Darrin
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350 2017F450
I don't see how you would do it without removing the bumper.
You hear the joke about the gynecologist who went to wyotech to learn to be a mechanic? Well the final exam was a full engine rebuild, all the students passed, but the gynecologist got extra credit because he did it all with his hand up the tail pipe.

That’s a long way if saying it just takes patience and removal of interference. I did mine without removing the bumper. You have to remove the chin spoiler to remove the under belly. Then you have to remove the fender lining partially and the passenger side brake ducting. From there you have access to the radiator mount and can insert the hook/plate mount. It took me four hours total, but less than 30 was installing the mount and aligning it to exit the grill.

imbadatthis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
I am going with the driver side ZL1 mount (purchased but haven't installed yet - front bumper is being resprayed which is a good opportunity for this install).

I bought my car used from a dealer and they had the 'Stow and Show' installed. I pulled it off because of damage occurring from it being so low to the ground. Photo below.
IMG_20190202_165236.jpg

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like to disassemble things.
I was not impressed at all with the quality or engineering behind the ZL1AO hook. Not knocking their intent but rather the execution. I think they can do much better.

I fabricated in industry for decades and took a look at the means and methods behind most every design and then came up with my own. I wanted a centrally located hook that would distribute typical tow "shock" loads when tugging on the aluminum bumper extrusion that could also serve double duty as a quick mounting point for a front license plate.

I started by pulling off the front clip to collect data and verify fitment.

____%20x6-X3.jpg

After figuring out a way to make it work I started cutting some heavy angle and plate, mig welding into a rough assembly.

____%20x2-X3.jpg

I pulled the bumper off to through drill as square as possible and then bolted it back on when finished.

____%20x-X2.jpg

Mocked up a number of times to determine the amount of projection I wanted.

____%20x1-X3.jpg

I then added slotted holes for fine tuning the hook mount elevation and added gusseting. I'm a huge fan of overkill here. Note the threaded holes at the end of the mount for fastening a license plate.

____%20x3-X3.jpg

Trimmed the lower grille and reinstalled the front clip over the hook mount.

____%20x4-X3.jpg

I fabricated an aluminum frame to attach to the license plate that would then be attached to the hook mount. I drilled two small holes in the plate, one above the second "E" in Empire and one below, to allow a pair of stainless socket headed capscrews to attach the frame to the mount. Very rigid and quickly removed or installed. I also added some dense foam pieces to the frame that would act as a cushion/barrier between the plate frame and the front fascia in case the plate were ever pushed back at all.

____%20x5-XL.jpg

Sponsored

crazymayhem

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Daniel
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 LB

cactus_kid

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
'21 GT (see sig)
TX has a front plate statute. Rarely enforced. For a while only the highway patrol was doing it as the local courts only made $10.00 of the $200.00 fine. No points to dl. As such, the municipal courts let it be known that they didn't want to mess with the citations. I've only had to deal with it once and the judge vacated the citation. Had the venue changed to a court 485 miles away. Well worth the drive as it put me a short drive from the grandkids in CO. The trooper had to drive from Hillsboro,TX to Texline,TX. That cost the state more than the fine. Judge threw it out. He was pissed to say the least. :)
Sponsored