Front License Lawbreaker!

BabyPanza

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cheryl
Vehicle(s)
2021 Audi SQ5
Texas here so front plate required, but not running one on either vehicle. And only one car in the past 8+ years with one (CPO and already drilled). Haven’t been pulled over (touch wood), but big city so better things to do I’m guessing. We told dealership on the ‘21 GT, don’t drill and if you do, that’s a deal breaker. A shame to ruin a nice ride with plate. If we get stopped will go with Sto-n-Go.
Sponsored

Joe B.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang V6 coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Don't and won't have one. I got a couple speeding tickets in my previous 'vettes, but never hassled for the missing plate. Not sure what my response would be if I was, but I'd probably regret it.

OP
OP
TheYankeeMarshal

TheYankeeMarshal

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
First Name
Yankee
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT Premium
I have a Sto N Sho mount and for the first year I owned my Bullitt I almost always drove it with the license plate in my trunk, ready to pop on if needed.
I put one of those on my 2019 Challenger and loved it, even though I never actually left the plate in it. That is until I ripped it off backing over a speed bump...along with a big chunk of the plastic underpinning.

Last edited:

Nardly

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bernard
Vehicle(s)
21 Mach 1 Twister Orange M2425 Chassis
In Virginia front plates are required but I have been lucky so far. At first I thought every time I saw a police cruiser I would get pulled but I read they can’t pull you just for no plate. Also we are the only state where radar detectors are illegal with a $100 fine and confiscation of the detector.

Carbide

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brad
Vehicle(s)
2020 Race Red w/white stripes Shelby GT350
Minnesota requires one. I'll pay the ticket if I get one.
8 years with no front plate on my C6 Corvette. This car will follow suit.

Sponsored

Vlad Soare

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vlad
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
If I were you I wouldn't bother with suction cups, or removable brackets/mounts/whatever, or any of that stuff. I would simply drive without a front plate, and if getting a measly ticket every couple of years were the price for my happiness, then I would gladly pay it.
This car swallows an enormous amount of money in gas, insurance, tyres, etc. A no plate ticket is a tiny fraction of that. And this is even before going into accessories, hardware modifications or ECU tunes - I'm sure most of us have already paid Steeda & Co a lot more than what a policeman would charge for the privilege of having a beautiful front bumper.

I don't have this issue, since a front plate has been mandatory around here since forever, so I don't mind my car having one. In fact, to us it would look terribly odd without one (besides, European plates look less out of place anyway, due to their shape). But I do have a problem with speed limits, 90% of which are absolutely ridiculous. And I apply the same reasoning: screw them, if an occasional speeding ticket is the price for my freedom and joy, so be it.

Roadway 5.0

Strassejager
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2016GT PP 6MT
Vehicle Showcase
full.jpg

I suppose I’m in the minority — I drilled my bumper with no hesitation or remorse. I lived in Germany at the time and required the front plate.

It’d be nice if US plates were more the shape of Euro tags; I think they look good. I still have my Deutschland plate on even now being back in the US for a couple of years.

Last edited:

ksampler

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Preston
Vehicle(s)
2016 Comp Orange Prem. W/ PP
Unfortunately, Texas requires one, so the dealership where I got the convertible drilled the front bumper. Those holes are now plugged. Colorado didn't drill the front bumper of my V6 and it's not going to get grilled. No front plates, not going to worry about it until I have to. Been cruising around since 2005 without one.
I am so glad that my bumper wasn't drilled when I bought my GT in Colo. Still have temps so we will see if I run a front or not... Probably just gonna use a "Sto N Sho" bracket since I do use the toll roads quite a bit.

SINBUSTER007

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
19 Edge ST, 17 Escape, 12 Boss, 15 GT, 66 V8 Coupe Auto, Kids Boss 302
have the sto n sho on both of mine.
MD unfortunately require, and for some reason they rather pull you over for missing front plate,
than to pull you over for weaving in and out of highway traffic at 100mph like i have seen others (in non-mustang cars) and they just go by as if they did nothing wrong....

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
LOL, the horror!!!

horror.jpg

As a resident of a militant front plate state, I've had several cars that got aftermarket front plate mounting "solutions". Each one eventually had an issue of some sort. Every. Single. One.

So, when my '15 arrived, I had no qualms about those horrific holes being drilled and that OEM affront to plate mounting attached. Haven't given it a thought since, really, and it still looks and functions like new. Meh, whatever.

As I get older I've learned there are FAR more important things in life to fret about.

Sponsored

geep81

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Glenn
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT Premium
Ohio until recently required one and I never had one on any car for the last 12 years. Did not have a problem once about it.

One time 20 years ago I pulled up next to an officer at a light, and he commented that some cops would pull me over for that. Then he drove off.

Now Ohio doesn't require them anymore and I am a legal eagle.

StangTime

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
19' GT PP1 Manual
I have a Sto N Sho mount and for the first year I owned my Bullitt I almost always drove it with the license plate in my trunk, ready to pop on if needed.
Turns out, at least in Toronto, it has been needed.
I’ve been pulled over twice now to be issued a warning about it, and a third time a TPS constable warned me while driving alongside me.
You’d think cops here might have better things to do, eh?
Downside of living in a low crime city, I guess.
So now I just take it off while visiting in-laws in Quebec, land of the front-license plate free.
(Just don’t try putting up any English-language signs or try to get a job with the government if you wear a turban or yarmulke.)
Low crime city? HAHAHA a day can't go by without someone getting shot in TO.

You know what REALLY pisses me off about this front plate B.S. in Ontario? The fact that I see so many cars on the road with almost impossible to read rear plates. All the letters peeled off or plastic covers that are so dark you can't even tell there's a plate there. People are driving around with expired plate stickers from 2 years ago. They can order plate validation stickers online in 10 minutes and have them delivered to their door FFS.
But I fail to put my front plate on the car, drive 5 minutes away from my house and get a $180 ticket. No warning at all. FML.
Bought a Craig's Bracket and can put it on or off in seconds.

cactus_kid

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
'21 GT (see sig)
Some dealers here in TX mount them, some don't and leave the mount and screws in the trunk. Mine is on so it's staying. My USMC Nam vet plate is mounted to it. TX has no mounting requirement for the front plate, position or height. Only that it be visible. Mine rides on the passenger seat. I can put it on the dash quickly. Never been messed with by LE. Only comment I get every now and then at the immigration checks is "Thanks for your service."

Ghost50

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Magnetic Metallic GT PP1
Also a TX resident here and when I bought mine I told the dealer I wouldn't buy it if they installed the plate holder. I hate that we have to run one. But...I don't.

I had a sto-n-show but I bent it on a driveway with a dip. So I removed it and I keep it in my trunk. So if I do get popped then I will just tell the cop that its in the trunk and I ripped it off that morning and will have to order a new holder.
Sponsored