AngelDeath

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
'20 Shelby GT500 Rapid Red / '01 Metallic Red C5 / '17 White Overland
Greets all,

I have a strange noise coming from the front end of my car which I was having the dealer look at with my oil change which has them stumped and wanted to ask to see if anyone else had the same sound.

Turning the wheel all the way to the left and in drive stepping on the gas pedal (not hard, normal) there is a knocking/ticking sound that is coming from the footwell, and seems to feel through the gas pedal it only occurs initially stepping the on the gas pedal and holding the wheel like your making a turn, both in drive and reverse. This problem doesnt happen during normal driving or if you were turning a corner. I looked at the TSB 21-2284, but I dont think this applies as I am not getting a wrench and no malfunction.

Just wanted to know if anyone has run into this? Issue does not happen when the steering is turned all the way to the right. They have checked the whole front end and everything they say is tight, but they are stumped, obviously it won't do it on the lift.
Sponsored

VoodooThomas

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Shelby GT500
I think I have the same issue you're talking about. Low speed full lock turns such as pulling into a parking spot or doing a u turn I can hear and feel a clicking noise in the steering wheel and gas pedal. I'm taking my car in on Tuesday for them to take a look.

OP
OP
AngelDeath

AngelDeath

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
I think I have the same issue you're talking about. Low speed full lock turns such as pulling into a parking spot or doing a u turn I can hear and feel a clicking noise in the steering wheel and gas pedal. I'm taking my car in on Tuesday for them to take a look.
Not a 500, but my 20 350R does the exact same thing. I normally get it at low speed, sharp left turns.
Well my guys are stumped because they check the front end and nothing is loose, but its a head scratcher, and putting the car on a lift doesnt help cause the car has to be moving.

OF5.0

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2022 Shelby GT500 CFTP
Well my guys are stumped because they check the front end and nothing is loose, but its a head scratcher, and putting the car on a lift doesnt help cause the car has to be moving.
Most likely, the swaybar or swaybar end link is hitting something when the suspension is loaded. That’s why you can’t see the problem on a lift. Have them try the full wheel lock procedure while the car is on an alignment rack or over an oil change pit. The suspension will be loaded and they can see the car from underneath as the wheel is turned.

Sponsored

Jmeo

You said member ;)
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaime
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500, 2022 F150 PowerBoost
Vehicle Showcase
I installed headers on a friends car a few years ago that resulted in a similar finding. It ended up being the steering shaft bolt at the upper knuckle (closest to the firewall) tapping on the steering shaft at full lock, in that direction. It did not repeat itself in the other direction because the head of the bolt was 180Âş out when turned the other direction. I discovered the front K member was off center, towards the drivers side of the car which cause the space between the header and the steering shaft knuckle to be reduced. Wasn't fun to fix by the way.......

Anyway, that's all I got.

OP
OP
AngelDeath

AngelDeath

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
Most likely, the swaybar or swaybar end link is hitting something when the suspension is loaded. That’s why you can’t see the problem on a lift. Have them try the full wheel lock procedure while the car is on an alignment rack or over an oil change pit. The suspension will be loaded and they can see the car from underneath as the wheel is turned.
I installed headers on a friends car a few years ago that resulted in a similar finding. It ended up being the steering shaft bolt at the upper knuckle (closest to the firewall) tapping on the steering shaft at full lock, in that direction. It did not repeat itself in the other direction because the head of the bolt was 180Âş out when turned the other direction. I discovered the front K member was off center, towards the drivers side of the car which cause the space between the header and the steering shaft knuckle to be reduced. Wasn't fun to fix by the way.......

I will be passing these along and any other helpful tips. Thanks.

OP
OP
AngelDeath

AngelDeath

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
Well they checked everything and they said they cant pinpoint the issue or where the sound is coming from, they have said everything it solid and tight, at this point I took the car back and told them at least there is record of this in case anything comes up in the future. If anyone that has this finds out what it is on there cars, please post it here so I can relay and have it checked.

Torchy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Mustang GT

OP can you see any slight marring on the bolt head of the steering knuckle?

OP
OP
AngelDeath

AngelDeath

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
OP can you see any slight marring on the bolt head of the steering knuckle?
Dont know if they look for that. but they did say they found nothing that would lead them to the problem. I will look tomorrow a bit where I look more with a fine tooth than most, but the vibration is felt through the gas pedal, but I dont know if thats just referred noise channeling through.

Sponsored

Wilson & Co

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
mustang-less
Mine does it too. Backing out wheel turned everytime

OP
OP
AngelDeath

AngelDeath

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
Mine does it too. Backing out wheel turned everytime
Yes it happens both in drive and reverse. All I will say it if anyone ever figures this out or finds the culprit, please post it here for all of us as will I.

kcobra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT500, Base w/tech, black roof, vinyl stripes
My 21 has the same issue as yours. Just another issue that plagues these cars.

dbtgt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT500
Could it be the Torsen differential talking through the driveline during hard left slow speed turn?

Firsttexan

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2011 GT500 '19 GT PP1 '13 GT500, 98 GT, 92 LX 5.0
Vehicle Showcase
Mine had the problem at 15k miles. It was the upper strut bearings/bushings. It snapped and popped while slow turning. Such as pulling in and out of a parking space.
Sponsored