Sponsored

Front bumper paint mismatch on ordered car, what should I do?

OP
OP
Rusherific

Rusherific

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT350R
I can definitely see it on my home monitor as well. It's pretty bad. Is the base color Oxford white? The bumper almost looks like a more arctic white. Sometimes the sealer or ABS plastic type can cause color mismatch like this, but I would still push them to fix that. It's also unfortunately possible the car was damaged in transport and "fixed" by a body shop. Manufacturers don't have to report that to you.

I can't help with what options you may have as far as recourse, but I can confirm you aren't crazy.
That's crazy I had no idea manufacturers do that.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Rusherific

Rusherific

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT350R
Thanks guys for the replies, it doesn't sound like there's a lot of great options for me at this point. I'm going to call the dealer soon and see what they say, and decide from there if I need to drive up, which I probably will. This dealer's kind of out in the middle of nowhere so it would be 1.5hr+ drive even for anyone I know in the area, so I might as well go myself. There's not anyone in this forum that lives around the Morgan Hill, CA arear right?

For anyone saying it's not that noticeable--last night I just googled "mustang oxford white" and you can scroll through 100's of amateur pictures, maybe only 2-3 of which I could tell any difference at all in the bumper, and even then just barely lighter or darker, which would be...livable for me. This looks like a whole other color, it's definitely not within the normal variation based on what you can find online.

As far as what to do, it sounds like my options are say no thanks, I don't want the car.....which could get messy since I already mailed back the papers and downpayment (I know I should have demanded photos sooner, but I didn't think I'd need to verify a new car is all 1 color, call me naive). Or take it and live with it no matter how it ends up? I mean then this is the final year of production, all orders are in already and who knows if I would find another one that I like for MSRP, so if I leave this one that means I give up what I've waited for for 5 years....

njudd921

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
2017 FORD MUSTANG GT PP
What I want to know is, assuming it is bad, if anyone has dealt with Ford on this issue and whether they'd fix it under warranty. I've found a lot of threads about Tesla Model 3 owners with the same problem getting fixed by Tesla, but I don't know the reality of that with Ford. Can I wait for it to arrive for me to see for myself? Or do I need to refuse delivery if that's the only way to make them responsible for it? Maybe I'm being crazy, I dunno, just want to know my options.
I missed that part. I know this doesn't help much, but it'll likely be a case by case scenario. I have a white 2020 Ram, so Im on that forum from time to time and recall seeing people with the same issue on the white trucks where the front bumper was a completely different shade of white, almost like the trucks went out with the ivory white body and bright white front bumper (luckily mine wasnt one of them). Chrysler wouldn't replace them. Ford may be easier to deal with. I think your best bet for now is to get eyes on it, or have them take pics with something other than a potato. I'd be nervous if I were you too, but it could honestly just be the pictures. Good luck and let us know what you find out! That car is badass!

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
Thanks guys for the replies, it doesn't sound like there's a lot of great options for me at this point. I'm going to call the dealer soon and see what they say, and decide from there if I need to drive up, which I probably will. This dealer's kind of out in the middle of nowhere so it would be 1.5hr+ drive even for anyone I know in the area, so I might as well go myself. There's not anyone in this forum that lives around the Morgan Hill, CA arear right?

For anyone saying it's not that noticeable--last night I just googled "mustang oxford white" and you can scroll through 100's of amateur pictures, maybe only 2-3 of which I could tell any difference at all in the bumper, and even then just barely lighter or darker, which would be...livable for me. This looks like a whole other color, it's definitely not within the normal variation based on what you can find online.

As far as what to do, it sounds like my options are say no thanks, I don't want the car.....which could get messy since I already mailed back the papers and downpayment (I know I should have demanded photos sooner, but I didn't think I'd need to verify a new car is all 1 color, call me naive). Or take it and live with it no matter how it ends up? I mean then this is the final year of production, all orders are in already and who knows if I would find another one that I like for MSRP, so if I leave this one that means I give up what I've waited for for 5 years....
OK, here is another option.

It appears that there are a number of decently rated body shops in Morgan Hill. Find one you like and call them. See if they will go over to the dealer and, for a charge, of course, and give you an evaluation of the bumper situation.
https://www.google.com/maps/search/automotive+body+shops/@37.1227856,-121.6748002,13z

Vicr

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vic
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Ecoboost Premium
Have your dealer paint it the correct matching color.

Sponsored

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
I'd want to lay eyes on it myself. Especially after waiting five years, what's a road trip?

It does look off, but pics/monitors can be weird too.

Mustangpursuit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT/CS 2019
Vehicle Showcase
Did it also come with the chin spoiler stored in the backseat or trunk?

3 silver cars I had and have now from Ford, the front and rear bumpers never really blended to the metal frame color, but I lived with it. sometimes the primer was grey color on one surface and the other primer was black.

OP
OP
Rusherific

Rusherific

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT350R
Well I just hopped on a video call with the sales guy, it honestly looks 99% perfect on video in broad daylight from multiple angles, I can see a slight brightness difference but that's more what I would expect as a typical variance.

I'm almost wondering if it's not just an issue with the car being so new the plastic panels' paint even hasn't had time to really cure/get hit by the sun. Even new cars on the lot are going to have been there for a while in the sun already.

To me even if I went up there to inspect what does that do for me? Like others have said it boils down to do I want the car or not. I'm not gonna get another white (or any color probably) no stripes 2020 GT350R for MSRP that also happens to have better matching paint and is also close enough for me to inspect in person this time. So am I going to fly all over the country? It's not worth my time in the end if my goal has been to get one of these cars. Best case scenario is I berate the dealer into a months long battle with Ford to get it fixed over an issue I can't even see on video. At that point I might as well just get it professionally redone someday if it really bothers me that much. I might have to someday anyway considering how bad factory paints are these days. I'm not really planning to ever sell the car so the carfax stuff doesn't worry me that much.

OK, here is another option.

It appears that there are a number of decently rated body shops in Morgan Hill. Find one you like and call them. See if they will go over to the dealer and, for a charge, of course, and give you an evaluation of the bumper situation.
https://www.google.com/maps/search/automotive+body+shops/@37.1227856,-121.6748002,13z
Thanks bikeman that's actually a good idea but I think at this point I'm just gonna roll the dice and live with it.

OP
OP
Rusherific

Rusherific

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT350R
Did it also come with the chin spoiler stored in the backseat or trunk?
Haha that's a whole different story, apparently the splitter that came with the car was warped so they have a new one on order. It was supposed to arrive last week but at this point is probably is going to miss the truck picking up the car tomorrow, so I'll have to install it myself once I finally get the splitter lol. Maybe for the best considering the threads I've seen on poorly installed lips, and one less thing to get banged up in loading/unloading.

speedfrk

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.nationalsuperbike.com
First Name
Curt
Vehicle(s)
2022 Nissan Frontier
The bumpers are not painted at the same time as the car. Many manufacturers actually have their bumpers made and painted by suppliers. Even US made Mercedes are not that great. I remember seeing a Challenger Scat Pack wide body in F8 green and the bumpers didn't even look like the same color, lol. A good body shop will match it perfectly since they will do spray out panels. That's what I'd ask for.

Sponsored

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
Well I just hopped on a video call with the sales guy, it honestly looks 99% perfect on video in broad daylight from multiple angles, I can see a slight brightness difference but that's more what I would expect as a typical variance.

I'm almost wondering if it's not just an issue with the car being so new the plastic panels' paint even hasn't had time to really cure/get hit by the sun. Even new cars on the lot are going to have been there for a while in the sun already.

To me even if I went up there to inspect what does that do for me? Like others have said it boils down to do I want the car or not. I'm not gonna get another white (or any color probably) no stripes 2020 GT350R for MSRP that also happens to have better matching paint and is also close enough for me to inspect in person this time. So am I going to fly all over the country? It's not worth my time in the end if my goal has been to get one of these cars. Best case scenario is I berate the dealer into a months long battle with Ford to get it fixed over an issue I can't even see on video. At that point I might as well just get it professionally redone someday if it really bothers me that much. I might have to someday anyway considering how bad factory paints are these days. I'm not really planning to ever sell the car so the carfax stuff doesn't worry me that much.

Thanks bikeman that's actually a good idea but I think at this point I'm just gonna roll the dice and live with it.
Thats good, it may not be that bad after all. I can kinda see in some if the photos that the color looks correct on the far edges of the bumper, so maybe it is just a slight difference that likely won't bother you in real life. I'd just take the car and figure it out later, ultimately it won't affect how fun it is to drive.

Fly2High

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Frank
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2
ICE445 has it right. I purchased a '19 PP2 that they ordered the wrong rear wheel for the car (I had three 19x10.5 and one 19x11). I spoke with a buddy of mine whose family used to own a car dealership and they said it sounded like my car , and yours, was damaged in shipment. They are allowed to repair the car and still sell it as new.

To me, you have a few options:
1. Since you waited so long, ignore it and deal with it when it comes time to paint the car. It is sealed so nothing should flake off or rust. lousy I agree. I would ask for the cost of depreciation and repaint off the price of the car.
2. Get the dealer to fix the paint. This, to me, is a little worse. I am not sure how good a job they will do the second time since it is on their dollar. Ask for a free extended paint protection on the car. I would also go over the entire car looking for what else was painted. Are you sure that was the only part they 'fixed'?
3. Reject it. I would rather wait again for a pristine car than take one with body damage. Sure, once you drive off the lot it devalues but if you noticed it, anyone else you were to sell it to would also and would want something off the price.

In my case, I had no body damage at all. I think the wheel got scratched up and they replaced it instead of fixing it. None of my body panels have been repainted. They made good on this by ordering a new wheel and gave me some additions to the car for free to cover my time.

OP
OP
Rusherific

Rusherific

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT350R
ICE445 has it right. I purchased a '19 PP2 that they ordered the wrong rear wheel for the car (I had three 19x10.5 and one 19x11). I spoke with a buddy of mine whose family used to own a car dealership and they said it sounded like my car , and yours, was damaged in shipment. They are allowed to repair the car and still sell it as new.
I'm confused does this all happen by Ford before the car is delivered to the dealer who could be unaware also? Or are you saying the dealer itself could repair shipping damage they find on arrival and lie to customers' faces about it?

Fly2High

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Frank
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2
I'm confused does this all happen by Ford before the car is delivered to the dealer who could be unaware also? Or are you saying the dealer itself could repair shipping damage they find on arrival and lie to customers' faces about it?
No, in transit.

They are not lying. They are just not required to disclose it. The car is new. Have you ever received an Amazon shipment and the box and sometimes the contents is slightly damaged? My buddy said it does happen more often than you care to know. Sometimes it is on ship, other times it is on the car carrier transporting them or when they take them off the transport. Some cars come by train. The guy goes to back it off the car carrier and it gets scratched. I am sure rocks can get kicked up by other vehicles and cause paint chips, etc. How much protection do you think that thin plastic used in delivery really offers?

things happen. I guess they still own the car so they have to make it right to sell. I believe they back charge the manufacturer for some or all of it. Might be a case by case thing.

OP
OP
Rusherific

Rusherific

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT350R
No, in transit.

They are not lying. They are just not required to disclose it. The car is new. Have you ever received an Amazon shipment and the box and sometimes the contents is slightly damaged? My buddy said it does happen more often than you care to know. Sometimes it is on ship, other times it to the car carrier transporting them. The guy goes to back it off the car carrier and it gets scratched. I am sure rocks can get kicked up by other vehicles and cause paint chips, etc. How much protection do you think that thin plastic used in delivery really offers?

things happen. I guess they still own the car so they have to make it right to sell. I believe they back charge the manufacturer for some or all of it. Might be a case by case thing.
But I mean if you asked them straight up, did you have to fix anything, they could say no?
Sponsored