Esset

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steven
Vehicle(s)
2021 MACH 1
Hi Folks!

I am seeking your advice. I have noticed "medium to light" dent at a right side of front bumper (left side in the attached picture), near the lights. It must have happened at dealer/ford, unfortunatelly something I didnt notice. What do you think, can this be repaird in some way? I was thinking of pulling it with light force up, maybe with help of heat gun..

And the next issue is cracked paint in place when bumper meets car body. This surely happened with bad instalation at ford plant.. Is it warranty claim?

nar-vada-1.jpg

nar-vada-2.jpg

nar-vada3.jpg
Sponsored

CJJon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT/CS Convertible - Race Red
Don't monkey with it and take it to the dealer.

Mustang panel fitment and paint is awful.

Biggus Dickus

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
G
Vehicle(s)
Focus RS, Mustang GT, MME GTPE
If your car was a patient I'd describe this as "Within Normal Limits".

Albertcado

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6spd
Sorry you noticed the blemishes once you got the car home. I had some similar situations like many others who bought their car new from a dealership. Take it to the dealership as soon as possible and have them fix it on their time and dime. Keep an eye on the corners where the bumpers and fender meets in the front AND rears. It's actually a very common spot where the paint chips off just in the corners over time. I noticed mine after a few thousand miles and many others here have the same issue. No one really knows 100% what causes it but it's only visible if you crouch down and look for it. My thought is that those corners have more paint than it needs to so over time the vibrations and driving agitate the excess paint causing it to chip off or it gets knocked off at assembly. Some people just leave it be and some put a light brush of touch up paint. It looks like this,

1645042350337.png

Sponsored

Firsttexan

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2011 GT500 '19 GT PP1 '13 GT500, 98 GT, 92 LX 5.0
Vehicle Showcase
Real common issue. It's a drip from the painting process. They hang them and that tip is the lowest point.

Like the hospital, avoid the dealer at all costs.

This patient is likely to come out worse than it went in.

Remove the two 10mm bolts clamping the panels together, then separate them enough to do your work.

Lots of youtube videos on bumper removal etc...

It can be carefully sanded down with 2000 grit and the touched up. It cracks off when the panels are fit together.

Only touch it up enough to color the spot. Dr Colorchip is good because the mettalic doesn't move around and darken like factory touch up pens.

If you don't feel comfortable with that? Go to the best body shop you know of. No cheapos.

Mine has a tiny drip but it's solid and does not interfere.

Last edited:

Albertcado

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6spd
Real common issue. It's a drip from the painting process. They hang them and that tip is the lowest point. It can be carefully sanded down and the touched up. It cracks off when the panels are fit together.

Do you think there's no harm in just leaving it be? I'm assuming since there's no paint there anymore to chip or rub against anything, it shouldn't spread or cause the chip to get bigger right?
I haven't noticed any of my corner chips spreading, I guess I'm just concerned if I touch it up then the touch up paint will just rub or chip off again. Some people have mentioned they just leave it and not worry about it.

Firsttexan

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Do you think there's no harm in just leaving it be? I'm assuming since there's no paint there anymore to chip or rub against anything, it shouldn't spread or cause the chip to get bigger right?
I haven't noticed any of my corner chips spreading, I guess I'm just concerned if I touch it up then the touch up paint will just rub or chip off again. Some people have mentioned they just leave it and not worry about it.
If you leave it be, it could spread due to corrosion being it's on a metal part. I would go to the art supply and buy their smallest oil paint brush. And give it just a touch of paint to color it. Don't try to build it up. You just want a good protective coating.

Tape the lower panel. It will make the job easier. Pull the tape as soon as your done.

In this case less it more.

It won't chip further that's as far as it will go.

Albertcado

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6spd
If you leave it be, it could spread due to corrosion being it's on a metal part. I would go to the art supply and buy their smallest oil paint brush. And give it just a touch of paint to color it. Don't try to build it up. You just want a good protective coating.

Tape the lower panel. It will make the job easier. Pull the tape as soon as your done.

In this case less it more.

It won't chip further that's as far as it will go.
I'll do just that. I have those fine tip artist brushes and some dr. color chip already on hand.
I guess I'll just do one quick coat just to cover it up and let it be, it might be kind of tricky since the panels are so close to each other but I'll give it a shot.
Thanks for the advice

Firsttexan

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I'll do just that. I have those fine tip artist brushes and some dr. color chip already on hand.
I guess I'll just do one quick coat just to cover it up and let it be, it might be kind of tricky since the panels are so close to each other but I'll give it a shot.
Thanks for the advice
Slip a little tape right into groove. Remove right after touching up. Remember don't try to build it up. Just color it.

OP
OP
Esset

Esset

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steven
Vehicle(s)
2021 MACH 1
Real common issue. It's a drip from the painting process. They hang them and that tip is the lowest point.

Like the hospital, avoid the dealer at all costs.

This patient is likely to come out worse than it went in.

Remove the two 10mm bolts clamping the panels together, then separate them enough to do your work.

Lots of youtube videos on bumper removal etc...

It can be carefully sanded down with 2000 grit and the touched up. It cracks off when the panels are fit together.

Only touch it up enough to color the spot. Dr Colorchip is good because the mettalic doesn't move around and darken like factory touch up pens.

If you don't feel comfortable with that? Go to the best body shop you know of. No cheapos.

I share with you the same opinion on dealerships, so after some thinking I may go this way.. I also think they will act to reject this warranty claim, telling it was caused by manipulation of bumper after the sale.. Also, my case of purchase is a little bit different, because I bought car internationally (with 17% off), so warranty repair would be carried out by a dealership that had no margin on sale, so I can imagine their approach...

I will have to touch up a small chip on the hood, So while I'm doing that, I might as well try to fix this. It is funny though, the car hasn't even driven a single mile on a classic road and I've already caught my first pebble...
Sponsored