Sponsored

From SS 1LE to Mach1 Handling pack

willymo72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang
I think the M1 is pretty close to the best that could be done with this s550 chassis, whereas the Camaro alpha chassis used in the Camaros is simply much better. The challenge with the Camaro (for me atleast) includes polarizing exterior looks, poor outward visibility, and a V8 that lacks character and has simply been around forever compared to the high revving DOHC coyote.

For track/ canyon carving, a SS 1LE is the way to go. I cross shopped the two very heavily but at the end of the day I prefer the coyote DOHC motor to the Chevys, and also think the mustang just looks much better and is better suited to how I would use it on the street.

At the end of the day you can't really go wrong. No car is perfect, besides GT Porsches imo.. My dream ponycar would be the Camaro chassis, M1 coyote motor and M1 body/ exterior. Get what best suits your use case.
Sponsored

Last edited:

saleen367

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1 HP N3451 2015 Focus
The Camaro is the superior chassis, but I still love the Mustang everywhere else. Engines are fairly equal, but they get you there in dissimilar ways.

As for the DH, we don't know what we don't know. Will it be better than anything we've ever had or just another model that has its shortcomings like the S550? Time will tell. If my PP2 wasn't paid for I'd definitely find a nice used Mach I only because I prefer the 550 over the 650.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach-1
Camaro chassis is much better imo. I didn’t even have the SS 1LE, just the V6 w/ SS suspension. The Mach-1 has a lot more flex and the steering connection to front axle is vague. You can probably close that gap with modifications, but you’re already spending a lot more.

IanKar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ian
Vehicle(s)
22 Ford Mustang Mach1 HP A10; 22 Shelby GT500 HP
Loving this back and forth... my opinion only...I have driven both on the track and being a Ford guy, would always be biased towards the Mach1. But the Camaro is impressive. And if I had the TOM ($) I would own both. Once you do the Mach1 TrackAttack you'll be glad you got the M1. And I bet if you did it with the Camaro you would be equally glad but for different reasons.

You gotta try both and see for yourself and see what resonates with you. And at what purpose and level are you at or intending to go. Like 'they' say..."Different strokes for different folks". And you always have those YouTube comparisons by seasoned racing drivers if you still undecided.

My reasons for going for the Mach1 over the Camaro- (i)love the angry mixed with beauty look (ii) the sound of the Coyote V8 (iii) the 'passion' and 'emotion' it produces (iv) the outward visibility (v) the interior (vi) and it's a MUSTANG!

f00man

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Aaron
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang M1 HP
I think the M1 is pretty close to the best that could be done with this s550 chassis, whereas the Camaro alpha chassis used in the Camaros is simply much better. The challenge with the Camaro (for me atleast) includes polarizing exterior looks, poor outward visibility, and a V8 that lacks character and has simply been around forever compared to the high revving DOHC coyote.

For track/ canyon carving, a SS 1LE is the way to go. I cross shopped the two very heavily but at the end of the day I prefer the coyote DOHC motor to the Chevys, and also think the mustang just looks much better and is better suited to how I would use it on the street.

At the end of the day you can't really go wrong. No car is perfect, besides GT Porsches imo.. My dream ponycar would be the Camaro chassis, M1 coyote motor and M1 body/ exterior. Get what best suits your use case.
💯 Before my M1 HP, I also shopped the 2SS 1LE. The Mustang just offers a complete package. I actually prefer the design of the Camaro a little bit more, but it is less practical than the Mustang (visibility and interior ergonomics are kinda weird). Add the high-revving 5.0 to the mix, and the Mustang is just better all-around. That said, they are both V8s and 🇺🇲.

Sponsored

OP
OP

codemanstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 GT Prem
Man I love the back and fourth and comments here this is great!

so today I finally drove a non handling pack manual Mach 1. First off Jesus Christ ford made the most amazing sounding v8 and exhaust. Really I loved having my foot in the gas any gear and speed. The digital dash is tits

seats. Alright so this was the normal leather seats non recaro. For the most part they were fine but I felt they sat high. I’m pretty tall (6ft 4) and felt like my right leg was too close to the brake. I had the same seats and thoughts on my 2015. I’m hoping the lower Recaros will help but concerned there isn’t enough thigh support (it dosnt go high enough to support the leg). Trying to find a recaro seat car to drive now.

swoop1156

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Mach HP, 22 Raptor 37PP, 22 Cayenne Turbo SE
Having sat in both the Standard and Recaro seats, I'm also 6'4", and opted to get my car with the standard seats.
My Polish bar... Na Zdrowie!
IMG_5199.jpg
Is that a boot camp photo I see hanging to the right of the ship/helm wheel?

OP
OP

codemanstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 GT Prem
Having sat in both the Standard and Recaro seats, I'm also 6'4", and opted to get my car with the standard seats.

Is that a boot camp photo I see hanging to the right of the ship/helm wheel?
what made you choose the standard seats?

swoop1156

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Mach HP, 22 Raptor 37PP, 22 Cayenne Turbo SE
what made you choose the standard seats?
Spent time in both seats for a long time just sitting and the standard was just more comfortable to me. I have an ST Edge with their sporty seats, multiple Mustangs and Raptors, and the Recaro just wasn't what I was personally looking for.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
I haven't driven a Mach 1 and I haven't driven a 1LE since Covid, but I have a lot of experience with various Fords and I drove Camaros a few times prior to Covid.

My issue with Camaros is the clutch and shifter feel really cheap to me. And I don't really like the way the pushrod engines rev out. They seem dead on the top end compared to the Fords. I also didn't like the feeling of being in a cave and had issues with the visibility.

But the last time I test drove a Camaro I was daily driving a 2016 GT350. I felt at the time there was no comparison. I'm sure part of that was the Voodoo engine, but also the GT350 is the only Mustang with an acceptably firm suspension setup. Perhaps the handling pack Mach 1s have that as well. I don't know. I took the Camaro on a road that challenges a chassis to hook up and the Camaro was sloppy and loose. I don't think the chassis in the Camaro is significantly better than the Mustang's. What is different especially on the 1LE is tires. The Mach 1 HP cars have similarly sticky tires to what the 1LE cars were always equipped with.

Based on my current Mustang with the FP track handling pack and my previous GT350, Ford leans way too far towards comfortable, cushy suspension for my taste. The GR86 stock suspension is noticeably stiffer than Ford's track handling pack, which is pretty sad in my opinion.

IMO the track handling suspension is just about right for a daily, and it's softer than I would prefer for a track car. As far as I'm concerned that's the main issue with Mustang track handling - soft suspension.

Sponsored

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
and the Recaro just wasn't what I was personally looking for.
it's wierd. I was sitting in a left-over '21 silver GT with leather Recaro (15% off) the other day and those had a small pinch in the lower back. The Bullitt ones felt 'wide', the set on the EB/HPP were quite tight in the shoulder blades. The GT350 and R version in both cloth and leather were definitely not sized for 'fluffy'. I don't know where the Mach1 seats land. It's weird how variable Ford Mustang "recaro" seats are.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
And I don't really like the way the pushrod engines rev out. They seem dead on the top end compared to the Fords.
all fixed with an Unleashed tune. Even the Coyote dies up top and Torrie fixed that right up. The pushrod now uncorked with the 2-stage exhaust is a "oh hell yeah!" grin inducing.

Mikepol2

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1, 2019 Ram 1500
it's wierd. I was sitting in a left-over '21 silver GT with leather Recaro (15% off) the other day and those had a small pinch in the lower back. The Bullitt ones felt 'wide', the set on the EB/HPP were quite tight in the shoulder blades. The GT350 and R version in both cloth and leather were definitely not sized for 'fluffy'. I don't know where the Mach1 seats land. It's weird how variable Ford Mustang "recaro" seats are.
I had bought a set of Bullitt Recaros for the 2018 GT and took them apart to try to make them more comfortable, they squeezed my lower rib cage to the point where I had to keep leaning forward to be able to breathe fully freely.

The side bolsters were actually metal plates welded to the seat frame and covered with foam. Thought about setting up some kind of makeshift screw jack to try and spread them apart a little more but was worried about cracking the welds. Not hard to imagine that normal welding process variation would lead to slightly different widths between the side bolsters from seat to seat.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
all fixed with an Unleashed tune. Even the Coyote dies up top and Torrie fixed that right up. The pushrod now uncorked with the 2-stage exhaust is a "oh hell yeah!" grin inducing.
I understand it's not a limitation of pushrod GM engines per se. Hardware mods would be a lot better for improving high rpm performance than merely tuning the car, however. You can't program in more valve lift or overlap. I do agree with you that Coyotes could be better as far as revving out. Especially my older Coyote doesn't rev like the new ones do. But in stock form Fords are far superior to GM products. I can see if you dislike Fords and so you would rather modify your Chevy than admit it is inferior to a Ford in any way.

I personally am not interested in buying a brand new car and then making illegal "off road only" modifications that make the car non-compliant with emissions regulations. Beyond that, tossing the powertrain warranty in the dumper is not something I would be interested in.

I think my point is solid with respect to anyone going out and comparing new Camaros and Mustangs as they sit on the showroom floors.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I can see if you dislike Fords and so you would rather modify your Chevy than admit it is inferior to a Ford in any way.
careful, I owned both SS/1LE and GT/PP and EB/PP all at the same time and drove them constantly back to back. Zero mods to all cars, just tune made all the difference in pulling clean and eagerly to redline. Both GM/Ford suck at proper fueling of their engines.
Sponsored