Staff member
Administrator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
Here's the part that discusses the 2015 Mustang:

What's next?

"Ford's done a fairly good job evolving the appearance of the Mustang," said design consultant David Rand. "The current model has visual ties to the original, but they're not literal. I wouldn't call it retro, but it has historic connections."

Regardless of what people call the 2015 Mustang's design, some will hate it, and they'll be loud. The Internet has given everyone a voice and made feedback much faster than when the '65 Mustang became a hit, Anderson said.

"It's always difficult to evolve a classic design that has retro elements," said Peter Davis, chief designer at Tata Technologies. "The last couple of Mustangs have been very successful, but at some point you have to depart from the formula. That really stirs a designer's juices."

The secret to the 2015 Mustang's success may lie in how designers combine elements that make it recognizable as the latest version of a classic with new touches to keep it fresh.

"We've heard from people both ways about retro versus modern," said Roger Barton, general manager of Reineke Ford Lincoln in Findlay, Ohio. "No matter what it looks like, some people will hate it. The one thing that's certain is that there's massive interest, because it's an all-new Mustang."

Ford will unveil the 50th anniversary 2015 Mustang late this year or early in 2014. It will come from the Flat Rock assembly plant where the current model is built.

"I expect a lot of changes, but a design that will clearly grow out of the current car," said Mike Rey, president of the Mustang Owners Club of Southeast Michigan. "It won't be some far-out European-looking car."

OP
OP

KZStang

"The last couple of Mustangs have been very successful, but at some point you have to depart from the formula. That really stirs a designer's juices."

"I expect a lot of changes, but a design that will clearly grow out of the current car," said Mike Rey, president of the Mustang Owners Club of Southeast Michigan. "It won't be some far-out European-looking car."
This has me seriously excited. Saying all the right things. Just take my money already Ford :D:D

OP
OP

OKCfan

This balancing act that the article talks about is going to determine whether the s550 is a success or not. Ford has a tough task on its hands I think.

They want the next Mustang to be a global car which means it needs to attract the European enthusiasts. They are used to sleeker and smaller sports cars overall, which American muscle cars have never been. So is there a design out there which can satisfy North American customers who are used to a more brash in your face styling and the European styling preferences? My bigest fear is that the design ends up trying to straddle both sides and ends up not very appealing to either group. That could be a disaster.:doh:

Ford reps seem confident in their talk so far and the company has seen a great turnaround in recent years with sales and its designs so I trust their words... but it's not an easy task they have to deal with. You guys see any renders that you think can satisfy both?