Sponsored

FREE HORSEPOWER: Modifications to the stock CAI that help flow!

A7X

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Premium Black Silver Stripes
Just installed the Mishi tube, so far not so good, car feels fine low down, maybe a touch more torque.

But up top it feels like it falls a bit flat, no knock showing, its either adapting or its a bit meh.

First flow result also shows 42.90, a touch down, but with how flat it felt that was not painting the true picture.

Hoping my Mishi tube is an improvement - please keep us posted Gibbo:cheers:
Sponsored

OP
OP
Gibbo205

Gibbo205

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
UK 2015 Mustang & BMW E46 M3
Hi there

OK not convinced by this Mishi tube effort. It feels perkier now, but am I just getting used to the powerband being moved?

Flow results, the tube has had zero impact on flow, the maf flow rates are essentially identical, if anything marginally less.

I am gonna drive with it another day to truly get used to whatever it has done, I shall then refit the stock tube and do a KAM reset. See if the car all of a sudden feels stronger/different, it shall be easy to tell after getting used to it how it is now.

Also I can make the engine knock with this tube, stab the throttle beyond 4000rpm some brief light knock around +1-2 degrees, probably false.

I can also rev it at idle some strongish but not foot to floor will see as high as +7, again seems false. I am putting this down to this tube deleting the chamber from the stock tube that control the sounds/pulses of air.

Like I've said before on this forum, people slag Ford off, but they spent years and lots of money and lots of hours testing the intake designed on this car, for this car in all kinds of environments to work best for the engine and yes whilst meeting emissions laws etc. If some people are deluded to think some guy in a shed can come up with a tube and make 15HP, do you not think Ford would of done so or maybe had a reason not too. Just think about that!

The Mishi tube won't harm anything because whilst driving all is well, negative knock and all that, but you can make it spike positive if you try. Revving in neutral with stock tube produces little to no knock and you really have to stab the throttle very hard, my car is probably also more prone due to the crazy loud exhaust.

But still I am not convinced, lets me drive it for another day or two, then refit the stock and see if the car all of a sudden feels stronger or weaker.

Normally best way, for example going back to stock manifold from GT 350 manifold, I can really feel the difference, the stock IM is weaker beyond 6000rpm, past 6500rpm the 350 one is a world of difference.

Also I think the Mishi tube definetely creates more torque down low, reason how I know, I can feel it a bit, but on the JDM tune the TQ management is relaxed but not disabled on stock tube car always pulled hard from any RPM in 3rd below 3000rpm, but with the Mishi tube, sometimes TQ management kicks in, which means the tube is obviously setting off TQ management due to extra torque or something it does not like.

Manders Mustang

The Boss
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red Ecoboost
Vehicle Showcase
Little turbo petrol engines are usually good fun but what spoils Ford's versions is the name Eco Boost. It's just a really naff name.
I have to second that, it's a torrid name.

[MENTION=13598]Gibbo205[/MENTION] Keep us posted as I inevitably know you will - looking forward to seeing outputs.
Again one for the experts but, could a tune, potentially unlock more from this tube, or nah? :lol:

OP
OP
Gibbo205

Gibbo205

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I have to second that, it's a torrid name.

[MENTION=13598]Gibbo205[/MENTION] Keep us posted as I inevitably know you will - looking forward to seeing outputs.
Again one for the experts but, could a tune, potentially unlock more from this tube, or nah? :lol:
The car is tuned.

The maf ID is not changed, a tune allows more adaption of the fuel trims, AFR than stock map so very doubtful.

I feel its simply snake oil, because in theory and logical how can it flow more, as the size of the holes at either end have not changed in size. Throttle body is same, maf ID is still the same. Just the tube has more girth and no resonance chambers.

I tried it to see if the snake oil was true, as with most things that claim easy horsepower its normally total bullshit, yes dyno graph this and dyno graph that but its easily to manipulate them, run the stock car in cat protection mode, then put mod on and run it without cat protection mode, you can't tell except car makes less power when dumping more fuel to protect the cats.

But the flow rates are not improved, not at all, even a tad lower!

Plus the way it causes knock (false) is not welcome as that hinders performance. I will give it another day or two.

Lund are working me a tune so I can datalog with and without it on the Lund tune and see what they make of it. One thing I will say about Lund they know the true performance of mods and have always being very open with me, essentially saying half the shit on these cars does fuck all, or benefits one area at the expense of another.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Gibbo205

Gibbo205

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
OK this mornings drive.

Back to cooler temps 13c, 15c intake.

Car feels as strong if not stronger down low and mid-range. Car feels no stronger up top, is it weaker its now hard to say as already adapting to the new power curve.

Maf flow rates still remain marginally lower, the part has done sod all for flow!

0-100 run, improved the time down to 10.6s, again using 4th and no lift shift from 3-4, my god no lift shift is pretty nice shit! :D

If remains dry, shall re-fit the stock induction pipe, and see if all of a sudden I notice more top-end, shall also have a re-run.

My gut feeling is the part does little to nothing, it just moves powerband and maybe creates a touch additional torque, it also sets the knock sensor or more easily if you really stab it, confirmed as false as number spikes then quickly returns to negative, real positive knock would continue increasing as the piston wobbles more in the bore due to shockwaves, as such the tube creates false knock when hitting it hard on the gas at high RPM very briefly, no doubt caused due to the deletion of the resonator chambers, Ford generally have a reason or other for doing things the way they do. ;)

OP
OP
Gibbo205

Gibbo205

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
OK guys

Stock induction tube back on, car feels more linear, touch less torque down low, probably the same top-end but because the stock tube keeps things more linear makes the top-end feel naturally stronger.

I prefer linear power curves, that is why I dislike turbo cars as I like power to feel like its climbing with revs which turbos very much fall flat on their ass at higher RPM.

The Mishi tube I would say honestly does nothing for power, anyone getting dyno results showing as such compared to stock probably just result of stock run being in cat protection mode.

The only positive I can see to the Mishi tube is if your revving your V8 not much beyond 5500rpm and feel you could benefit the shifted power curve that seems or feels as if their is more torque down below.

Also due to the fact it does set of the knock sensor briefly sometimes could result in less on a roll hit performance if the ECU pulls a couple of degrees for a second, I believe this is because it does away with the resonator chamber and maybe the girth design being large allows for more resonance back into the IM which sets the knock sensor of a touch.

As such it is a part I cannot advice.

Also some performance stats from several 0-100 runs, all using JDM tune and using the no lift shift feature on 3-4 change.

Mishi tube: 10.6-10.9s / 43.27lbs
Stock tube: 10.5-10.8s / 43.77lbs

The stock tube always has a 0.5lbs so it is possible the Mishi tube is slowing the air as it rushing past the maf sensor, no doubt because of the girth lower down, it does not necessarily mean the car is moving less air but as the TB end and the maf ID end holes have not changed in size I simply fail to see how the tube could flow any more than stock tube.

The maf flow, performance results and butt dyno seem to confirm this.
If I re-run my car on a dyno at somepoint I might do a back to back comparison but as of right now I feel I shall be sending the product back for a refund as it has done nothing for my car.

I will load my Lund tune on later and see how that feels with and without, but I expect the same.

What I have not tested is the Ford factory tune, it is on this tune Mishi make their bold claims of 15HP.

Right now I consider myself ÂŁ120 out of pocket, anyone want it for ÂŁ100 or am I sending back? :D

OP
OP
Gibbo205

Gibbo205

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Also as a note, V8 (Nick) from here sent me his logs for his tune, his air box is completely factory stock. His maf flow is 40.90lbs.

In short guys you can gain a solid 2lbs flow by making the air box mods in this thread, thats a good solid 10+ horses pretty much for free, so well worth trying as fitting the K&N filter impacted flow marginally, the biggest improvement came from removing the ham sandwich. :D

Mustang_Lou

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang Bullitt
I checked back to a log I did in May (stock airbox, Airaid MIT, dry AFE panel filter) and saw a max of 40.33 at 6866 rpm ... may have been more if I revved it higher but that was my peak.

Interestingly, when I had the Livernois Windstorm Extreme CAI (an Airaid with the insert removed) it maxed out at 45.37 @6,153 but again I didn't rev it past that so it'd be higher I'm sure.

I prefer the sound of the stock intake so I took it off (power was marginally better with the CAI from a seat of the pants feel).

BMR Tech

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.bmrsuspension.com
First Name
Dion
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT, 2010 GT500, 2019 F-150 5.0
As an FYI - I have seen over 44 on mine with the Mishi Tube and the K&N filter and the modded airbox lid.

Usually right at 6700 rpm.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Gibbo205

Gibbo205

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I checked back to a log I did in May (stock airbox, Airaid MIT, dry AFE panel filter) and saw a max of 40.33 at 6866 rpm ... may have been more if I revved it higher but that was my peak.

Interestingly, when I had the Livernois Windstorm Extreme CAI (an Airaid with the insert removed) it maxed out at 45.37 @6,153 but again I didn't rev it past that so it'd be higher I'm sure.

I prefer the sound of the stock intake so I took it off (power was marginally better with the CAI from a seat of the pants feel).
Peak maf flow seems around 6000rpm anyway, so don't worry about revving more as your on stock intake manifold.

Yes my PMAS CAI was 45lbs, I think getting the stock CAI up to 44lbs puts it very close to the CAI's to the point where a CAI is not worth the hassle.

The stock CAI simply drives nicer and has the bonus of lower IATs which for the drag racers should make them faster in the first 1/8 of the run.

Stock 41lbs, stock modified nearly as high as 44lbs.

Maybe Kelly at BMR could do a log for us as he has removed the IM teeth, so we can see if that helps. Then you could bore the stock TB out 2-3mm as well, which could help again.

OP
OP
Gibbo205

Gibbo205

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
As an FYI - I have seen over 44 on mine with the Mishi Tube and the K&N filter and the modded airbox lid.

Usually right at 6700 rpm.

Can you share a log or remember exact number buddy, highest I've seen so far was like 43.77lbs, still a big improvement over stock and the ham sandwich seems to yield the most? Try the stock tube as well to see if you can feel what I felt. :)

Is your TB bored out?

Wonder how much the removal of the IM teeth helps?

jord79

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
I put a K&N filter in mine but that emissions doofer in my airbag looks like this...

IMG_6595.jpg

It looks the other way round to what I've seen in other photos and didn't know if it'd make much difference ripping it out? Seeing as it is essentially an irreversible mod I've left it in - for now.

OP
OP
Gibbo205

Gibbo205

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I put a K&N filter in mine but that emissions doofer in my airbag looks like this...

IMG_6595.jpg

It looks the other way round to what I've seen in other photos and didn't know if it'd make much difference ripping it out? Seeing as it is essentially an irreversible mod I've left it in - for now.
Thats exactly same how mine was.

Rip it out, its robbing roughly 1lbs of flow, probably around 5HP.

BMR Tech

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.bmrsuspension.com
First Name
Dion
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT, 2010 GT500, 2019 F-150 5.0
Can you share a log or remember exact number buddy, highest I've seen so far was like 43.77lbs, still a big improvement over stock and the ham sandwich seems to yield the most? Try the stock tube as well to see if you can feel what I felt. :)

Is your TB bored out?

Wonder how much the removal of the IM teeth helps?
I actually have the stock tube on the car right now.

Last time I logged with the Mishi tube, it was 44.09 @ 6700 - I shared this in the MAF flow thread.

The TB is stock. As for the air deflectors being ground out, I am not sure what the performance gains were as I did not test them.
Sponsored