Sponsored

FREE HORSEPOWER: Modifications to the stock CAI that help flow!

Gibbo205

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
UK 2015 Mustang & BMW E46 M3
Hi there

Car is back to stock mods wise, those who have being here from the start, read most of my post will know I always highly rated the stock intake. Yes some CAI's will make you a touch more power with an open hood on a dyno on a cold day. Some CAI's are simply required if your fitting headers or uprated intake manifolds to flow more.

But if your mods basically include a tune and a catback, then you will probably get the best results from sticking with stock CAI as it flows more than adequate for upto 500HP and its a true enclosed/sealed CAI, so it can benefit RAM AIR which I did mention over a year ago.

Since then during my nights of reading these forums some of the US guys, in particular Kelly from BMR found some in short free power mods on the stock intake. So he gets the credit, in fact after he did these mods, got a custom tune from Palm Beach dyno (ex head tuner from Lund), he went mid 11s quarter at 117-118mph with his only mods being. Stock air box mods, custom tune, E85 flex fuel and tyres. He also had the Mishimoto tube that replaces the stock section between TB and air box lid, so no re-tune required, if this gives power or not is unknown, rumours are its worth 15-20HP under the curve, true? Who knows!

Tyres play biggest part in ET, but terminal generally boils down to power and in short based on this he would of being running around 480-490HP crank to run such a terminal in a manual, though bear in mind he is a professional drag racer too, so he knows how to row that MT86 M6 very quick indeed, no doubt power shifting too.

Lets dismiss 10-20HP for E85 and 10-15HP for not having handicapped headers.

In short the same mods could see a UK car at 445-465HP, nothing special but I think many here would be happy with such a result on stock air box and just a tune file. The only way to get more substantial gains is via headers and inlet manifolds. Or just plonk one of those really expensive fancy intake manifolds on the car that go by the name Whipple and then you whip anyones backside. ;)

If not I've wasted my time in posting this.

Here are the list of modifications I've made to the air box:

- Remove the emissions restriction thing as it blocks flow, takes a minute (picture below), credit goes to Kelly from BMR for this spot! COST: £0
- K&N oiled filter for max flow or a dry one (stock filter still in mine, will fit K&N tomorrow) COST: £55 from carpartsforless or £60 from eurocarparts!
- Velossa big mouth to channel and create RAM AIR. COST: £100 and a pain in the ass to install but also benefits all CAI's
- Sound tube delete, just for tidyness, but some report throttle response improves: COST: £5
- Mishimoto tube effort: £200, does it work? Who the fuck knows haha, I might buy one as in theory it will fit MY18. If I do might re-visit dyno with above and custom tune with max spark for Vpower99 see if can crack 460HP over Winter to make it fair comparison to when I had PMAS that made 472HP.
- DRILL OUT the honey combs to allow more air to flow to air box. COST: £0
- BIG JOB (Not bothered myself) but line the stock intake manifold or whatever manifold you install with heat reflective material on the bottom, I did this on my 350 IM, FordSVT gained 7HP with it, true who knows, but if your bored one day, worth a shot. COST: £40-£60 for silver thick reflective material.

In short remove the emissions dudar, delete the sound tune, drill out the honey combs cost less than a tenner. Helps reduce IAT and improves flow.

I did log before and after:
Maf flow rate with emission thingy: 42.76lbs
Maf flow rate with emission thing deleted: 43.50lbs

The above is with stock filter, if K&N can put me over 44lbs that will be highest I've ever seen on stock air box on my car, though it does not mean more power, as tomorrow same road I might see only 42.5 or 44 as weather can impact it, ambient temp etc and the tune itself.

This is by no way concrete evidence of fuck all, but same road, same gear, same hour and flow had an ickle improvement.

If true that could be 5-10HP with a tune, the cars stock map will adjust sensors to pretty much keep power locked at 410HP, of course doing the above on stock tune should make sure you always get the 410HP. Shit fuel, hot day the car won't always make 410HP if the knock sensors decide to say NO, so try to keep them happy with good fuel and lower IAT's and cylinder head temps, it all helps.

A tune allows the car ECU to not be so limiting, so doing the above could result in more horsepower everywhere as a tune will allow the car to take advance of more flow, more spark advance due to good fuel etc.

Pictures as promised of the emissions thingy effort, just rip it out, unless your a tree huger, but then you should of got an EB you idiots! ;)

Tree hugging device:

plastic6.jpg

Tree hugging device be gone:

plastic7.jpg

So if your on stock intake, some stuff to try which some are FREE. :)
Sponsored

BMR Tech

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.bmrsuspension.com
First Name
Dion
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT, 2010 GT500, 2019 F-150 5.0
[MENTION=13598]Gibbo205[/MENTION] with the good info! ;)

BMR Tech

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.bmrsuspension.com
First Name
Dion
Vehicle(s)
To add, I ground down the mounts for that Emissions trap filter.

OP
OP
Gibbo205

Gibbo205

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kelly at BMR also ported the throttle body intake area of the stock manifold.

Stock intake manifold has teeth making it look like a monster, he removed those teeth in essence porting it, similar to as seen here:
http://forums.corral.net/forums/s-1...14/1377522-ported-stock-intake-pic-heavy.html

I've not done this, I did notice the 350 inlet manifold is ported from Ford, so he could be onto something, but at the same time the designs are normally done for a purpose to due with turbulence in the cylinders, of course it could just be emission related like the part in the air box, but if you do this well there is no going back. But if it works, well its FREE!

Manders Mustang

The Boss
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red Ecoboost
Vehicle Showcase
Ecoboost's i've been working on just haven't got that tree hugger device in the intake box. Have you checked yours to see if it's in there Gibbo? If is is, odd they added it in for you guys. Looks shit (not that anyone will ever see it.

Looks like their setup is running the same intake route as the ecoboost FBO guys do, E85, Air raid intake tube (more air in, biggest intake tube on the market IIRC at least it is for the ecoboost in volume of air), maybe Mishi gets the crown for that on the V8, i'd need to look into the data for it.

Velossa can be a very easy install, i found a trick with just using a pry bar to push the edges in (Actually, to refrain from being called "Magnets" - [MENTION=26917]sheps5.0[/MENTION] did on one of the Mod days we did). When installing the one for Kraken after bumper was off (needed to be off anyway, it took me literally a minute.

Nice find, alas, wait for the "But my CAI makes pretty noises" ;)! Form Vs Function and all that.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Gibbo205

Gibbo205

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
To add, I ground down the mounts for that Emissions trap filter.
Boom, don't even tag you and your in here like a coiled spring. You clearly knew someone was talking about you! :)

Good shout on grounding them down, I will do that this weekend buddy! :)

Also just posted above how you ported the manifold inlet, you think it gained you anything or upset anything on the car removing the teeth?

I notice 350 IM has no teeth, so maybe your onto something there! ;)

OP
OP
Gibbo205

Gibbo205

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ecoboost's i've been working on just haven't got that tree hugger device in the intake box. Have you checked yours to see if it's in there Gibbo? If is is, odd they added it in for you guys. Looks shit (not that anyone will ever see it.

Looks like her setup is running the same intake route as the ecoboost FBO guys do, E85, Air raid intake tube (more air in, biggest intake tube on the market IIRC at least it is for the ecoboost in volume of air), maybe Mishi gets the crown for that on the V8, i'd need to look into the data for it.

Velossa can be a very easy install, i found a trick with just using a pry bar to push the edges in (Actually, to refrain from being called "Magnets" - [MENTION=26917]sheps5.0[/MENTION] did on one of the Mod days we did). When installing the one for Kraken after bumper was off (needed to be off anyway, it took me literally a minute.

Nice find, alas, wait for the "But my CAI makes pretty noises" ;)! Form Vs Function and all that.

The pictures are my intake. :)

I never noticed it ever before, it blends in with plastic, only well Kelly gave the heads up I spotted the emissions trap dudar thingy majig.

I just think on stock intake manifold, the stock CAI with all these tweaks can make more or less just as much power as best CAI but without none of the draw backs such as high IAT's and losing RAM AIR effect.

Remember both Porsche and BMW proved that RAM AIR can gain you upto 10HP at 70mph plus speeds, so its useless to us all here, forget the idea as none of us ever exceeed 70mph.

Of course RAM AIR needs the velossa part.

Your method will only work on some, the Velossa quality control is shit, mine needed 3/4 of an inch removing from it before the bumper would go back into place.

Velossa say fixed now, but who knows. ;)

Manders Mustang

The Boss
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red Ecoboost
Vehicle Showcase
Ah yes maybe, you were one of the first with it... I know mines not version 1. It maybe version 3 after speaking to them. But it wasn't an easy fit, it was tight, but a lot easier than before.

Odd the GT has it and the ecoboost doesnt, must be emissions related. I've had my hand inside the air boxes to transport them and move them around when painting, so would have felt it (Could fist the fucker)

OP
OP
Gibbo205

Gibbo205

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ah yes maybe, you were one of the first with it... I know mines not version 1. It maybe version 3 after speaking to them. But it wasn't an easy fit, it was tight, but a lot easier than before.

Odd the GT has it and the ecoboost doesnt, must be emissions related. I've had my hand inside the air boxes to transport them and move them around when painting, so would have felt it (Could fist the fucker)

Yeah its furry! :D

EB, hint is in the name, Ecoboost, 4 cylinder baby, tree friendly.

V8 Coyote, lives for killing trees, they have to tame the beast with soft furry things in the intake. ;)

Manders Mustang

The Boss
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red Ecoboost
Vehicle Showcase
[MENTION=13598]Gibbo205[/MENTION] Trolololol. Just seems pointless regardless to have it but ford ... :ford: ....

Sponsored
OP
OP
Gibbo205

Gibbo205

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
As recommended by Kelly from BMR, cleaned up the air box, can't see it making no difference but its what dremels were made for. :D

Dropped K&N filter in too, shall see if any impact on maf flow on drive home, high this money was 43.56, see if I can top that. :)

Gloucesternige

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Mustang GT, GR Yaris, SWB Defender, Harley.
Thanks for posting Gibbo. It's threads like this that make forums great!!

NvrFinished

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 DIB GTPP
Yep, this is the route I have slowly been taking. I got in on the Mishimoto intake tube at the special pricing before it was released. I've installed a high flow dry intake filter and ground down the plastic supports when I removed the carbon emissions thingy. Honey comb was opened up on the stock grille. I have a Velossa Tech Big Mouth sitting on the bench ready to be installed when I pull my bumper to do the custom grille and APR splitter install.

Next will be a flex fuel tune. I'm still trying to figure out who will be the best to use. Unfortunately I don't know of any good dyno tuners in my area.

I do HPDE's and feel this is the best bang for the buck when compared to aftermarket CAI's. Willow Springs in SoCal is one of the tracks I visit and it is very fast. I'm expecting the ram air affect to help out some there.

OP
OP
Gibbo205

Gibbo205

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Another mod for my '18. The fuzzy bit in the air box is simply there to soak up any hydrocarbon fumes coming back down the air intake when the engine is switched off. When the engine is restarted the airflow cleans the fuzz ready for the next engine off.

My lawnmower probably gives off more fumes when it is sitting in the shed.

Thanks for the explanation, it certainly covers around 1/4-1/3 of the air filter so will be limiting flow.

I changed to K&N filter today, had no impact on maf flow, but removal of the fuzzy bit did help increase maf flow.

Last time I did a dyno on car with stock air box with a dry filter and a JDM tune car made 440HP, a solid 30HP gain from tune/panel filter.

Now with a K&N (flows better than dry), fuzzy bit removed it should be making a touch more. Also just to note I need to check the timing on the JDM tune as its custom but only for RON97, so will see what peak timing advance is probably 27-28 degrees.

Shaun at AED has offered to sort me out, so in theory his tune will probably see 460HP from stock air box with the tweaks to it.

Also ordered a Mishimoto tube, £120 delivered direct from UK, not bad and I can fit it on my MY18 in theory, just cap of the un-used vacuum line. No idea if it has any impact, they claim 15HP, I ask how but shall see if I see any improvement on maf flow after fitting in a few days.

BMR Tech

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.bmrsuspension.com
First Name
Dion
Vehicle(s)
@Gibbo205

Another idea I had was to modify the area in Red to flow.....and see if I could get a custom air filter made that had media...instead of rubber in that location.

I have no clue if this would help, but I assume it would IF the surface area of the current "replacement" filters was not sufficient.
Filter mod.jpg
Filter mod2.jpg
Sponsored