Sponsored

FREE HORSEPOWER: Modifications to the stock CAI that help flow!

jord79

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Thats exactly same how mine was.

Rip it out, its robbing roughly 1lbs of flow, probably around 5HP.
I'm doing it now!
Sponsored

OP
OP
Gibbo205

Gibbo205

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
UK 2015 Mustang & BMW E46 M3
I actually have the stock tube on the car right now.

Last time I logged with the Mishi tube, it was 44.09 @ 6700 - I shared this in the MAF flow thread.

The TB is stock. As for the air deflectors being ground out, I am not sure what the performance gains were as I did not test them.
How would you say the car feels between the two tubes?

I could certainly feel more torque, but felt it made the top-end feel flatter, I suspect there is no top-end loss but the change in power curve makes it less linear.

Be good to hear your thoughts.

About to load on my Lund tune that JonSr just finished up, might try the Mishi tube with Lund tune before returning it.

BMR Tech

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.bmrsuspension.com
First Name
Dion
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT, 2010 GT500, 2019 F-150 5.0
Honestly? I tried and haven't been able to feel any difference.

OP
OP
Gibbo205

Gibbo205

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honestly? I tried and haven't been able to feel any difference.
Good to know, pretty much my feelings.

Lund tune now on the car, peak timing 31 degrees slowly building to 30+ after 6000rpm and maf flow rate marginally increased to 44.07lbs. :)

Car drives silky smooth and like stock as I ask Lund to not tweak the DBW or throttle mapping.

Did a quick 0-100, 10.5s which is more impressive as I had to lift during 3-4 shift as Lund does not offer no lift shift. Definetely a bit more power up top with Lund but less torque down low, but not sent a log in yet, will do later/weekend and ask for timing to ramp faster. :)

Mustang_Lou

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang Bullitt
Lund must thing your a royal PITA! They've probably lost money on you lol. :)

Sponsored

OP
OP
Gibbo205

Gibbo205

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Very true.
But in fairness I think I was one if not the first in the UK with a Lund tune and I've recommended vast amounts of people to them so in the grand scheme of things I think they are doing OK out of it.

I shall continue recommending them because out of all the tuners they are the most flexible and will work with you to get the car dialled in.

Yep I am an awkward git, but customer service which they excel in is what gets you more and more customers, plus the fact that their tunes are very good.

twold

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
66 mustang fastback
My own experience with my Lund tuner is that ,in their words, we "Europeans" are considered to be very "picky" compard to North Americans.Personally my tune did not go well even after a few attempts (did increase power though) ,and was removed back to stock whipple.
Just my personal experience ,many others are very satisfied.

A7X

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Premium Black Silver Stripes

Gibbo, I ripped mine out. Did you notice any change in fuel economy?

Strange question I know but I'm curious

Thanks!

slowhand99

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Vert Race Red ord 26/03/15 del 24/03/16

What does it do? Surely if it impedes flow it would be bad for emissions. Looks more like a crud deflector.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Gibbo205

Gibbo205

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
What does it do? Surely if it impedes flow it would be bad for emissions. Looks more like a crud deflector.
If there is crud on that side of your air box, your in trouble. ;)

When you shut off the car emissions fall back down into the air box and then to atmosphere, this prevents those emissions escaping back to atmosphere.

Yes if you get more air in, you need more fuel to balance the higher flow which means more fuel consumption and more emissions.

You either want more power or you don't, doing this on mine the car felt more responsive and pulls better up top, not noticed any economy change but for arguments sake it probably worsens mpg marginally, maybe 0.1

A7X

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Premium Black Silver Stripes
If there is crud on that side of your air box, your in trouble. ;)

When you shut off the car emissions fall back down into the air box and then to atmosphere, this prevents those emissions escaping back to atmosphere.

Yes if you get more air in, you need more fuel to balance the higher flow which means more fuel consumption and more emissions.

You either want more power or you don't, doing this on mine the car felt more responsive and pulls better up top, not noticed any economy change but for arguments sake it probably worsens mpg marginally, maybe 0.1
Thanks for the reply Gibbo. Stands to reason there would be a tad more fuel burned

Mustang_Lou

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang Bullitt
Removed my carbon thingy as well and cut/ground the leftover mounting pieces. With the long mounting piece I used a hacksaw blade (literally just the blade) in my hand. If you've got half a blade it'll even be easier.

Also put the stock elbow back on (from the Airaid MIT I had installed) and thought I noticed a bit of tq loss initially but the more I drove it the more it feels the same ... who knows. Will drive it some more stock and decide.

OP
OP
Gibbo205

Gibbo205

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Removed my carbon thingy as well and cut/ground the leftover mounting pieces. With the long mounting piece I used a hacksaw blade (literally just the blade) in my hand. If you've got half a blade it'll even be easier.

Also put the stock elbow back on (from the Airaid MIT I had installed) and thought I noticed a bit of tq loss initially but the more I drove it the more it feels the same ... who knows. Will drive it some more stock and decide.

Last year when I was on stock air box, I dyno'd the SCT & JDM tunes, with and without the airaid MIT, absolute zero difference in power and curve. SCT was 435HP crank with huge torque, JDM was 440HP is huge torque and Lund based on my flow readings will be around 455-465HP but with less torque (base tune).

However both tunes had crisper throttle response with the MIT installed, but power/torque it did nothing, did not seem to alter the curve either.

Here is the maf flow data I have:

Stock air box: 41lbs
Air box with AEM Dry filter, Honey comb delete, MIT on JDM Tune: 42.5lbs
Air box with K&N oil filter, honey comb delete, Mishi tube with carbon trap removed on JDM Tune: 43.27lbs
Air box with K&N oil filter, honey comb delete, stock tube with carbon trap removed on JDM Tune: 44.2lbs
PMAS CAI with Lund tune: 45lbs
PMAS modified CAI with more air forced to air box to lower IAT: 45.5lbs
GT350 Mani with GT 350 CAI: 47lbs (The manifold is doing this, not the CAI, this CAI on GT manifold is around 44.5-45lbs)

I know the JLT CAI is around 43-43.5lbs flow on a UK GT with Lund tune, gives the idea, don't waste your money, stick with stock CAI.

Now on Lund tune, same as above, 44.77lbs, I put the higher flow could be numerous things, Lund tune has altered maf flow table as the tune can impact the reading irrelevant of flow, thats what Lund told me by the way.

Or a scientific answer is because the Lund tune makes 30-31 degrees timing past 6000rpm, does mean the car is indeed making more power up top and as such is flowing more. In comparison the JDM/SCT canned tune makes 26-27 degrees past 6000rpm.

Advantage of canned tune, is they are aggressive on low down torque, 28-29 degrees in the 2000-3500rpm region on Octane 93, the timing that falls back to 24-27 degrees region beyond 3500rpm.

Whereas a Lund base tune on Octane 93 builds very slowly, by 3500rpm around 24 degrees, 25-27 upto 5000rpm then building to 28-31 from 5000-7000rpm.

I have asked Lund if they can ramp up my timing faster or add more base timing down low. Shall see if I get a response, not too fussed because they did what I asked, a tune with stock throttle and the car drives beautiful, even cold it drives smooth. :)

One thing I did notice with carbon trap removed, even on the cars factory stock tune is flow was around 42.5lbs and the car felt stronger at the top-end it really wanted to fly, which for a free modification is worth every penny.

Manders Mustang

The Boss
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red Ecoboost
Vehicle Showcase
Ran the EBM's air flow with the mods, got 36ish, i'll do another run and get a photo and decimaled number. Not sure if good or bad, any EBM's wanna compare (probably worst place to ask)!
Sponsored