Sponsored

FREE HORSEPOWER: Modifications to the stock CAI that help flow!

MrWolf

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
MY2018 Magnetic Auto GT
I assume the 18 will probably have the same thing in the air box.

If it does, whoosh... it’s gone!
Sponsored

Manders Mustang

The Boss
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red Ecoboost
Vehicle Showcase
I assume the 18 will probably have the same thing in the air box.

If it does, whoosh... it’s gone!
It will, and for those wondering, the MY17's have a different filter, it's the same style of thing, a bit smaller, but it's way harder to peel off with your hands the MY15/16's you could just rip the plastic rivs off, whereas the MY17s, you can rip off, but it requires a considerable amount more force. :lol:

OP
OP
Gibbo205

Gibbo205

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
UK 2015 Mustang & BMW E46 M3
I already had the mishimoto tube and the k&n filter. I removed the emissions filter and ground down the posts for the emission filter. Data logged afterwards on my Lund tune and max flowed 44.694 MAF in lbm per min @7478.5 RPM.

Previous log prior to emission filter removal showed max flow at 43.083 @ 7371.3 RPM.
For comparison at the same RPM with out the emission filter it flowed 44.454 @ 7386 RPM.

Thanks for all the previous info guys. Glad I took the time to read this thread and the modify.
Pretty much the same flow improvements I got, most CAI's with enlarged maf ID's sit around 45lbs so getting stock air box to those levels with the advantage of cooler intake temperatures and RAM air effect is why for me a CAI is really not worth the money on these cars, though admittedly under the bonnet a CAI does look more mean. :)

CaptainSensible

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Shadow Black Mustang V8 GT Coupe
Quick question Gibbo.

So I've just removed the carbon trap thingy and fitted a K&N panel filter. Now considering a tune and see you've tried both a Lund and JDM.

My car is a daily driver and really looking for something which makes the car more driveable i.e. decent boost to low down torque. Which would you recommend?

Thanks.

hinch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sideways
think PBD or AED probably give the safest / friendliest daily tunes lund can be a little maximum effort at all times but personally i like that style

Sponsored

v8hgt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
Race Red GT PP Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Quick question Gibbo.

So I've just removed the carbon trap thingy and fitted a K&N panel filter. Now considering a tune and see you've tried both a Lund and JDM.

My car is a daily driver and really looking for something which makes the car more driveable i.e. decent boost to low down torque. Which would you recommend?

Thanks.
If you are after more torque and a linear throttle peddle then AED will work well for you as it has zero torque limiting in 1st and 2nd gear.
All three (Lund,aed,PBD) will give you comparable power at wide open throttle. The difference between them is how rapidly they build power at smaller throttle peddle positions. Notice how when you drive in race mode it feels more powerful? That’s because the tune commands the throttle angle to open MORE than your right foot has asked for. E.g if you push the peddle down 25% if it’s travel. The tune commands the throttle body to open 35%. (Made up the numbers to illustrate the point)

Lund certainly take this approach in normal mode, AED and PBD less so. Ie 25%=25%

dirtwarrior

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2015 3.7 mustang
I will try this for sure

akmon

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alberto
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang GT
I finally did it too, I removed the carbon trap, so easy, in a minute was in my hand:

n7ORq2B.jpg

My question is: as the flow inceases, how many CV has the car gained with this removal? I´ve tried to search it but I got lost woth so many data. I´m talking about stock airbox, neat comparison. Thank you.

WD Pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lime GT
Vehicle Showcase
I cant answer your question, but it looks like they have changed the design of the carbon trap over the years :

CBAE5-D15-807-E-485-F-B598-DED0-DCFB7-E53.jpg

WD :like:
Sponsored