Sponsored

FR/Borla exhaust observations

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like to disassemble things.
With limited warranty-safe/emissions legal power mods available at present I found myself considering the uber expensive exhaust system that Borla makes for Ford Racing parts. I talked at length with my FR warehousing dealer (Mike at Buyfordracing) about it. In the end, I ordered the part fairly confident that Borla had mitigated early design/manufacturing issues. I'm creating this thread to share some of the things I saw and did with it.

After a short wait the system was delivered via FedEx. Nice not to have it shipped via freight. I had my Dane crew help with the inspection.

z0213171125d_HDR.jpg

Upon reading the label on the box I was a little worried that I had been sent the wrong system. Ford/Borla, this should be corrected as it does nothing but create confusion.

z0213171125e_HDR2.jpg

I had some minor damage to the box. Fingers were crossed that nothing got tweaked.

z0213171130_HDR2.jpg

Everything was fine as Borla did a great job packing and protecting the contents.

z0213171131_HDR.jpg

Ford Racing has lagged somewhat in posting up some instructional pdf's online at their site. At current, this system does not have a pdf you can download. Plenty of time has passed - Ford Racing Parts, kindly get off your ass, log in to your FTP server, and upload the pdf. Thanks for at least including some printed instructions.

z0213171131a_HDR.jpg

I pulled the stock exhaust system from the car while on my back. I've done plenty of exhaust mods in my lifetime but hadn't had the joy of removing an entirely welded system that was this long. Nothing unexpected here, just a little different.

z0219171459a_HDR.jpg

Of note, I didn't follow the instructions when it came to unplugging the exhaust actuators. I found it easier to unplug at the harness, a foot or so away from the actuator, than to try to unplug right at the actuator.

z0219171524a_HDR.jpg

z0219171524_HDR.jpg

I shifted my focus to the Borla system for a closer inspection of each tube, etc, to ensure there weren't any flaws.

z0213171147_HDR2.jpg

The welds are pretty good for production exhaust work. Not perfect but as long as the penetration and coverage is good I'm happy.

z0213171148a_HDR.jpg

z0213171151a_HDR.jpg

It doesn't look as though Borla is gas purging the X-pipe assembly when welding. Not a major concern but you could notice it from inside the assembly.

z0213171152b_HDR2.jpg

z0213171152a_HDR2.jpg

Of interest, the actuator "cradles" that were at one time hand fabricated but now Borla is using the exact same cradle as is present on the OEM GT350 exhaust system. They are TIG welding these (by hand) in place and I'm glad they do. It should ensure that they are placed properly.

z0213171148_HDR2.jpg

z0213171150_HDR.jpg

The expansion slots in the tubing and are a very nice touch (they look to be laser cut) and allow some relief during installation. Dressing the tubing to remove burrs, etc, is appreciated as well.

z0213171154a_HDR.jpg

z0213171149a_HDR2.jpg

Mock assembling the Borla system and placing it atop the factory system allowed a visual as to tube bend differences.

z0219171550_HDR.jpg

z0219171550a_HDR.jpg

You can see how the Borla mufflers are angled whereas the factory mufflers follow a somewhat straighter path.

z0219171551a_HDR.jpg

When you align the tips over one another you can see that the Borla mufflers are also offset towards the outside of the vehicle as well.

z0219171540a_HDR.jpg

More on this in a bit but by doing this, increased leverage is created on each side whereby the tubing connection at the end of the X-pipe wants to rotate or twist when installing. Note that Borla attaches the hanger directly to one of the muffler outlet tubes whereas the factory muffler has a stamped bracket welded to the muffler which then has a hanger welded to it.

z0219171540_HDR.jpg

The cradle on the Borla mufflers deviate a bit from the factory clocking as well.

z0219171543a_HDR.jpg

David from Borla talked about the restrictive factory bends and you can see the difference between the two at certain junctures.

z0219171544a_HDR.jpg

There are a few spots where the Borla exhaust diameter is slightly less than that of the factory system.

Factory...

z0219171557_HDR.jpg

Borla...

z0219171556_HDR.jpg

The install itself is fairly straight forward. It is easier to handle individual tube assemblies as opposed to a completely welded system. It gives a small amount of adjustment. What I noticed was that I had to exceed the recommended torque on the included clamps in order to stop the system from rotating due to leverage imparted by the outboard slung mufflers. For a vibration happy car such as the GT350 this didn't inspire complete confidence on my end. More in a bit on this.

z0213171154_HDR2.jpg

The actuators. Originally unavailable separately, if one of the two proved defective Ford was replacing entire exhaust systems. Talk about ridiculous. They are now available individually. Made by Kuster, these are popping up on quite a few car lines and models.

z0219171603_HDR.jpg

The instructions suggest verifying that the butterfly valves are in a specific position when transferring the actuators onto them. Pay close attention here so that you don't have to disassemble/reinstall due to them being put on incorrectly.

Of importance, the two notches you see that are there to receive the spring that is on the underside of the actuator. The spring needs to seat in each notch.

z0219171608a_HDR.jpg

The springs can fall out during disassembly so here's a shot to show correct orientation if the do. They snap right back into place. You can see the two points of contact on the spring that will need to be seated properly...

z0219171615_HDR.jpg

When lowering the actuators down on the studs (evenly), pay attention to the spring and how it seats. I found that only one side will seat initially and had to slide a narrow screwdriver in between to maneuver the other side of the spring into its seat. Here are shots of each side of the spring in place.

z0219171620_HDR.jpg

z0219171604b_HDR.jpg

Also note that while the motors are the same that the harness pigtails are indeed side specific.

z0219171625_HDR.jpg

z0219171626_HDR.jpg

I had everything installed and fired up the car to check for leaks. After running the car for a bit I noticed that the mufflers weren't staying in position and had rotated slightly. Further tightening the clamps meant going ever further beyond the recommended torque figure for them. Plan B, welding at a couple of spots (as opposed to the entire system, which doesn't fit the same as OE and I didn't want to weld everything up only to find that I couldn't slip it back in place). I had also planned on reusing the heat shields. Borla has little to say about this in the instructions and simply includes 4 clamps from "Band It."

This is how the factory shield sits in place. I had already cut off 6 clamps (four on the large shield, and two on the smaller shields that sit rearward of the large shield) when I took this photo.

z0408171635.jpg

z0408171635a.jpg

A nice afterthought...:D

z0408171635b.jpg

Borla only supplies four clamps. The assumption is that they are having you reinstall the large shield only. The smaller shields are actually clamped on one end and welded on the other. I believe that the shields are aluminum as they melt rather quickly if you try to weld directly to them. Note that when the factory welds these that they plug weld over the aluminum.

z0408171636.jpg

z0408171636a.jpg

I wanted to reuse the smaller shields as they protect the CV joint boots/grease on the rear of the driveshaft. So I carefully cut around the welds and popped them off.

z0408171644.jpg

z0408171644a.jpg

z0408171645.jpg

The three shields sitting about as they did on the factory system.

z0408171645a.jpg

The large shield doesn't fit right over the Borla X-pipe and requires trimming at each end so that it can seat properly.

z0409171428.jpg

z0409171441.jpg

I had actually tacked the Borla system together at a couple of spots and then pulled it back off to weld it completely as well as so I could weld the shields into place.

z0409171741.jpg

z0219171803_HDR.jpg

I also looked at transferring the small factory tubing that tied the two sides of the system together at the hangers that sit near the IRS pumpkin. I figured it would mitigate the rotation issue (welding the tubes as shown above pretty much takes care of that). I removed them and set them in place to see how much they might need to be tweaked to work.

z0408171731.jpg

z0408171731a.jpg

z0408171738.jpg

In the end I decided not to weld the tubes into place as it didn't have as much benefit what with welding elsewhere. I no longer had to overtighten the clamps.

Overall, a nice system. It comes at the high end in terms of cost which IMHO, needs to be more realistic if Borla/Ford Racing are actually interested in selling many of these and maintaining a reasonable margin. I love the sound but agree that the improved sound isn't proportional to what you have to pay for it. I wanted to add legal power though and this is one of the few legal mods you can do that doesn't also trash the warranty.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Darkane

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Base
Mine is in order. Got a great deal from my dealer in Canada.

kart125

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350/2008 Saab TurboX SC
great write up! I haven't followed the whole FP vs Borla exhaust threads but basically what is the difference between the Borla vs the FP by Borla exhausts?

OP
OP
Epiphany

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Can you feel any extra power or responsiveness?
I haven't driven it enough. To your point - the car needs to really be wrung out on the track as the gains are at the top of the curve and I honestly don't drive that way on the street. The change in the sound is easy to detect, that's for sure.

great write up! I haven't followed the whole FP vs Borla exhaust threads but basically what is the difference between the Borla vs the FP by Borla exhausts?
You have the system Borla did for Ford Racing and the ATAK system from Borla. According to David from Borla, power gains were essentially the same. In terms of sound, the ATAK system screams a bit louder at full song in loud mode. For me, I wasn't looking for the loudest system out there so I'm quite happy with the regular system and not the ATAK.

Sponsored

jpindustrie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
a Ford Mustang
Looks like a busy but productive weekend. thanks for the write up!

Is it necessary to weld the older shields back in if Borla doesn't specifically state to?

OP
OP
Epiphany

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Borla is very vague in their instructions with respect to the shields. I think any welding on this system is beyond the intended scope from Borla's perspective. Not saying they would be averse to it but rather that the system was designed to be installed without it.

And that still doesn't answer your question.:)

In the end, it's how far do you want to go. I don't mind going a step further but I'm sure there are many others that feel that for the cost of this system that they shouldn't have to.

OP
OP
Epiphany

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I think that was addressed in the much bigger "Borla" thread and that in the end, Borla decided against offering just the X-pipe assembly to those that didn't want the entire cat-back system. It is a nice piece too.

UnhandledException

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Very nice write up. A few observations/questions:

- You say that you considered reusing the factory tube that connects each tube but in the end decided against it. You also say you didnt have to overtighten the clamps. So how did you resolve the issue with the pipes moving?

- The issue with the heatshield is a concern to me. One of the reasons why I paid premium for this was that I wanted to be able to go back to stock and that this was plug and play. Cutting heat shields apart or custom welding is a bit too involved. I have to ask you, why not using just those standard large metal clamps they sell at HD the ones that you tighten with a flat blade to reattach the secondary heat shields? Or what about just getting a new heatshield, the kind that looks like teflon and you can wrap around the exhaust?

It looks a bit too involved to be honest, at this price point this should have been plug and play with decent instructions. The fact that you had to exceed the torque values is also a big issue, you could easily bend the connections and damage them without noticing or break the bolts (you wont notice it now but may after 10,000 miles of rust and road corrosion on them).

Sponsored

50 Deep

Signature Wheel Ford Rep
Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.signaturewheel.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R
Thanks Tob! Quality information that is easy to digest as usual

Zitrosounds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Harold
Vehicle(s)
16 GT350R/16 GT350TP/15 GT-PP/12 GT-PP
Very nice write up. A few observations/questions:

- You say that you considered reusing the factory tube that connects each tube but in the end decided against it. You also say you didnt have to overtighten the clamps. So how did you resolve the issue with the pipes moving?

- The issue with the heatshield is a concern to me. One of the reasons why I paid premium for this was that I wanted to be able to go back to stock and that this was plug and play. Cutting heat shields apart or custom welding is a bit too involved. I have to ask you, why not using just those standard large metal clamps they sell at HD the ones that you tighten with a flat blade to reattach the secondary heat shields? Or what about just getting a new heatshield, the kind that looks like teflon and you can wrap around the exhaust?

It looks a bit too involved to be honest, at this price point this should have been plug and play with decent instructions. The fact that you had to exceed the torque values is also a big issue, you could easily bend the connections and damage them without noticing or break the bolts (you wont notice it now but may after 10,000 miles of rust and road corrosion on them).
I kept the heat shields on the stock pipes. No heat shields on my Borla ATAK. The R also has no heat shields. I have had this system for 6 months and noticed no difference in heat emanating from the tunnel. I believe Epiphany welded his system to prevent rotation.

OP
OP
Epiphany

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Zitro, the R exhaust system does have heatshields.

I'll post photos of them when I have the chance.

Zitrosounds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Harold
Vehicle(s)
16 GT350R/16 GT350TP/15 GT-PP/12 GT-PP
Zitro, the R exhaust system does have heatshields.

I'll post photos of them when I have the chance.
Are you sure? maybe production cars do.

UnhandledException

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
I called up both FP and Borla. They dont know much unfortunately but did say I can leave the second heat shield on the stock exhaust and only worry about the main shield.
Sponsored