Sponsored

FPC equating to MSRP to the GT350

1320'

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Avenger...sadly
Keep in mind my brain is exceedingly tired...

But I would love to see a 4.7L FPC in the GT...maybe displacing 289ci....maybe give it a vin code of K...

Cant remember where I've seen that before :D
Sponsored

91z28350

Obsessed with Horse Power
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
JAMES
Vehicle(s)
2012 GT500 - 837 RWHP AND COUNTING

But I would love to see a 4.7L FPC in the GT...maybe displacing 289ci....maybe give it a vin code of K...

With all the heritage of the Mustang, why don't you pick something that has some meaning :lol: (sarcasm is extra heavy here!)

Jimdohc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Silverado and R32 GTR
Maybe shorter stroke FPC V8 & electric hybrid would be a good match.

Light weight FPC would help offset electric motor's inertia. Electric motor would boost torque output. Small displacement & hybrid would both increase MPG.

Possible way to meet future CAFE.

Jimdohc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Silverado and R32 GTR
Lets say 4.7L could make 440hp & 360tq. Plus, 60hp & 200tq electric motor.

Electricity stored mostly in capacitors because they're lighter. With a small battery pack to help balance out the package.

Not what I personally want. Just brainstorming.

wproctor411

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 GT
Electric motors of any substantial power are very heavy and a smaller displacement isn't going to save any weight, maybe a pound or two. The high RPMS will take care of any low RPMS torque issues but we don't know anything about this car so their likely isn't an issue. Hybrid stuff would likely add several hundred pounds.

Sponsored

Grimace427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Mustang 5.0

I think that would be a good match for a different car, like say a Falcon remake? Essentially a RWD Fusion with sporty intents but a more practical interior and trunk design. Going to a smaller displacement engine in the Mustang wouldn't appeal to me.

Maybe shorter stroke FPC V8 & electric hybrid would be a good match.
I think that would be cool in a Cobra remake; small two-seat roadster just slightly larger than the Miata with a retractable hard top priced similar to a Corvette.

...smaller displacement isn't going to save any weight, maybe a pound or two...

Yeah people don't seem to understand this very much. The 4.0l BMW S65 in the E90 M3 was within 10lbs of the 5.0 Coyote engine despite being a full liter smaller displacement.

Jimdohc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Silverado and R32 GTR
Electric motors of any substantial power are very heavy and a smaller displacement isn't going to save any weight, maybe a pound or two. The high RPMS will take care of any low RPMS torque issues but we don't know anything about this car so their likely isn't an issue. Hybrid stuff would likely add several hundred pounds.
Agreed, it would add at least 300lbs to the vehicle. Motor, battery, capacitor, controller, wires.

Maybe I should clarify. If FPC weighs ~10lbs less than XPC, that lower inertia would help offset the electric motor rotor inertia and therefore retain sporty rev characteristics. Plus, maybe the flywheel could be built into the rotor to save another 10lbs of rotating mass. Like others have stated the shorter stroke is simply to lower possible vibration for mainstream car. Ultimately the resulting smaller displacement would help MPG and no other reason.

Capacitor, more specifically Ultracapacitors, weigh 20% but unfortunately store 10% of a lithium battery. Sounds like I'm going backwards but Ultracapacitors can be fully charged in 1 sec as opposed to hours for lithium. This means regenerative braking is much more effective at capturing energy. Plus, for a sporty hybrid, quick charge and discharge would be an advantage.

It's a stretch :) just popped into my head a few days ago. Then I saw the discussion about 4.7 being 289 heritage so I used that displacement.

Jimdohc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Silverado and R32 GTR
"Ultracapacitors, weigh 20% but unfortunately store 10% of a lithium battery"

^based on volume.

based on power density (w/kg), they're 7-10 times higher.
based on energy density (wh/kg), they store 1/2.

wproctor411

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 GT
"Ultracapacitors, weigh 20% but unfortunately store 10% of a lithium battery"

^based on volume.

based on power density (w/kg), they're 7-10 times higher.
based on energy density (wh/kg), they store 1/2.
Are these solid state or liquid or jell filled capacitors? I don't want any dielectric fluid leaking from a car after a wreck as it tends to store power for a good time after the supply is turned off.

Jimdohc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Silverado and R32 GTR
Are these solid state or liquid or jell filled capacitors? I don't want any dielectric fluid leaking from a car after a wreck as it tends to store power for a good time after the supply is turned off.
haha... Lets say they're gel filled and encased in a lightweight yet strong bladder. Something similar to bladder in ATL fuel cell.
Sponsored