FP dampers and BMR springs questions

samd1351

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT, 1999 Ranger
Looking at getting the min. drop springs and the FP shocks and struts.

1) Is this a weekend install by an average +/- guy, or should I let a shop do it?

2) Besides better handling, will this setup give me additional noise or vibration?

Wife and I were out driving around last weekend and she commented how much she likes the car. I don't want to change it so much that she doesn't like being in the car.
Sponsored

CJJon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT/CS Convertible - Race Red
1 - If you are asking, have a shop do it. It will need an alignment anyway.

2 - No, it shouldn't

Wife issues - Do What Thou Wilt the car is yours.

OP
OP
samd1351

samd1351

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
1 - If you are asking, have a shop do it. It will need an alignment anyway.

2 - No, it shouldn't

Wife issues - Do What Thou Wilt the car is yours.

1) I was on the fence. It doesn't look that difficult. But sometimes I lack the patience needed. And specialty tools.

2) That's what I'm hoping for.

As far the wife goes, yeah it's "my" car. But things are just soooo much easier when she's happy.

Thanks

CJJon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT/CS Convertible - Race Red
It isn't that hard of a job. The special tool is only a spring compressor (which you might not need). If you do, you could always take the strut to a shop and have them swap the springs. Oh, and a torque wrench, but that really isn't a specialty tool, you should have one or two already!

Also, some fasteners are single use. Get the FP fastener pack that has all you will need.

There are some very good videos out there that detail the process. Certainly check them out.

Go for it. If you get stuck, just holler!

Dominant1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dr Frankenstang
Vehicle(s)
2016 gt/cs auto 3:55 gears
Vehicle Showcase
Print this diagram out and make sure they do this or you will have noise!

https://ibb.co/L1LCTLt

You’d be surprised how many shops don’t know about bushing pre-load..

Sponsored

Meat coyote racing

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zack
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT PP
I'm not very mechanically inclined and I did this exact swap on mine in about 3 hours. Switching the front is very easy. I had to drop the cradle a few inches to get the rear springs out but it was still VERY easy.

Noise and vibration was not noticeable. However, it rides a little bit harsher but I love it.

Keep in mind, if you're changing the ride height you should clock your bushings. Clocking the bushings on the front and rear suspension was TERRIBLE; additionally, almost impossible without a lift.

Moral of the story, if I could do it over I'd still swap everything else myself then pay a shop to clock the bushings and do the alignment.

Grimreaper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT
The nice thing about the FP track shocks is the kit comes with everything for the front strut install so you can build the struts/springs in advance and throw them in during install with out delay or needing to take apart the oe strut for parts

The car should have come with these shocks. Outstanding ride with the sp080 springs. (Same rates as the min drop) Crazy how much just the rear FP shocks do so much better than stock pp ones. Very enjoyable on the street compared to the stock pp shocks and springs

Front install is easy but the spindle bolts can be trying. I'd recommend getting a new set of bolts and nuts for at least one side incase you need them. Turn the nut around on the bolt and hammer away

Rear is quite easy as well. Just undo the shock and loosen the cradle bolts on the side your working on. Springs pull in and out easily. Great time to do the cradle lockout and alignment dowels/bushing.

The only real specialty tool is a tq wrench or two. A medium cordless impact saves some wear on you if you have one. If you do your own alignments grab new front dust caps too.

A Jack and wood under the spindles/ rotors can load the suspension on the corner you're at to make bushing indexing possible at home. Just lift it enough to get the car's weight off the jack stand. Inner driver side camber arm bushing can be accessed once the fuel filler tubing is unbolted from the rail by the shock mount.

OP
OP
samd1351

samd1351

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
Thanks @CJJon @Grimreaper @Meat coyote racing and @Dominant1 for all of your input. I'm still on the fence, but there's a couple of things I'm not entirely comfortable with, so it's most likely off to the shop. I'd just assume make sure it was done 100% correctly.
Sponsored