Sponsored

Found this metal on my oil plug. What is this?

luca1290

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Luca
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT, Mercedes A250 4Matic (W177)
Sorry I can't help but what I will do if I were you is to drop the pan immediately and inspect.
If nothing is found, remove both valve covers and inspect.
If nothing is found, remove timing chain cover and inspect.
You should be able this was to determine the source.

For sure I will not drive the car now that "I know". Hope someone that has a clue can chime in.

OP
OP
Andy13186

Andy13186

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT 10speed Aluminator Whippled
Car is whippled and makes about 800 rwhp and has 60k miles, been whippled since 40k. I rev over 8k every day at least 10 times a day. Ive done a ton of 60-130's and 100-150 runs on this oil change but I always keep my oil topped off and have had no problems and just set some new personal bests like 2 weeks ago. I use amsoil and ceratec.

I saved the oil filter, I will cut it open. Car seems perfectly fine though and runs great... IDK. This oil change is the first time I used a magnetic plug. I had my cam phasers done twice under warranty and vct solenoids so the motor has been open before. I wonder if it could be related to that prior work and it just happened to come out this time since I used a magnetic plug? IDK. Definitely concerning. I did drive the car home and its running fine.

It seems like some type of clip idk.. I lost some of the pieces that you see in the plug pic but I still have those 2 that I took better pics of.

Last edited:

Sponsored

PoCoBob

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium, 2016 Edge Sport
I think it's the clip that holds the rocker arm to the lash adjuster. I'm only going by what I've read but it seems they are prone to coming off, and once the engine is assembled they really aren't needed. Having said that I wouldn't want anything like that floating around in the engine.

luca1290

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Luca
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT, Mercedes A250 4Matic (W177)
It looks like some kind of retaining mechanism and right now I notice there is a ton of metal shavings on that plug!

OP
OP
Andy13186

Andy13186

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The shop that installed my whipple (rarefab I highly recommend) said

"So that is a retaining clip for the rockers. It is a somewhat common failure in boosted applications, it even happens in N/A Mustangs too. Is the car still operational? "

Last edited:
OP
OP
Andy13186

Andy13186

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I think it's the clip that holds the rocker arm to the lash adjuster. I'm only going by what I've read but it seems they are prone to coming off, and once the engine is assembled they really aren't needed. Having said that I wouldn't want anything like that floating around in the engine.
Interesting. IDK if I should even do anything. Very glad I bought this magnetic plug though.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
At least it made it to the bottom of the pan and didn't cause other destruction making it's way to the pan...

If it were me, I'd do an oil flush - strain the contents of the existing, pour it back through another strainer - run the engine a bit at idle and drain and fill with new oil and oil filter.

Yes, oil and filter isn't cheap to do a flush, but how do you know there isn't anything else in your pan ...

Sponsored

Paul McWhiskey

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Premium w/PP
At least it made it to the bottom of the pan and didn't cause other destruction making it's way to the pan...

If it were me, I'd do an oil flush - strain the contents of the existing, pour it back through another strainer - run the engine a bit at idle and drain and fill with new oil and oil filter.

Yes, oil and filter isn't cheap to do a flush, but how do you know there isn't anything else in your pan ...
The only way to know for sure is to drop the pan. Yes, that is a royal PITA. However, the only other option is as you suggest. Flush and drive. And don't be surprised if it turns into a catastrophic event. Photos appear to be mostly larger pieces, so maybe everything made it to the pan without causing any further destruction. The oil filter will have a story to tell, so OP please post photos and descriptions of what you find there.

Hope that luck is on your side with this.

DrZed

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cam
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT PP1 M6
I'd do an oil change now. Enjoy the car, nothing you can do about it now. In 5000 kms do an oil analysis to see if the car is eating itself up. If not, this is one close call for the record books.

If so, you know early enough so you can do as little damage as possible. Good luck friend.

DougS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP Whipple Stage 2
Car is whippled and makes about 800 rwhp and has 60k miles, been whippled since 40k. I rev over 8k every day at least 10 times a day. Ive done a ton of 60-130's and 100-150 runs on this oil change but I always keep my oil topped off and have had no problems and just set some new personal bests like 2 weeks ago. I use amsoil and ceratec.

I saved the oil filter, I will cut it open. Car seems perfectly fine though and runs great... IDK. This oil change is the first time I used a magnetic plug. I had my cam phasers done twice under warranty and vct solenoids so the motor has been open before. I wonder if it could be related to that prior work and it just happened to come out this time since I used a magnetic plug? IDK. Definitely concerning. I did drive the car home and its running fine.

It seems like some type of clip idk.. I lost some of the pieces that you see in the plug pic but I still have those 2 that I took better pics of.
Your the Man, You drive it like you stold it. But, unfortunatley that does mean you will be going into your engine more often then most. Good Luck. Yes, If you do as the person said to do above you will find the issue.
** I would also recommend sending an oil sample to have it analyzed.
PS: I WOULD NOT DRIVE IT AT ALL
GOOD LUCK

Last edited:

PoCoBob

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium, 2016 Edge Sport
I would start by pulling the valve covers and see if the others are all still in place. From your pictures it appears the entire clip came out and it doesn't look like it ran through a chain. I would also talk to a good engine builder and ask about taking the rest of them out. It can be done using a valve spring compresser with the heads on the engine. Hitting those rpm's on a regular basis will probably break more of them over time.

Edit to add: You can see the clip on the bottom of the right end of this rocker. The photo said it was up to 2017 models, I don't know if they changed after that or if it's an old picture
Rocker.jpg
Sponsored

Last edited: