Found a 96R AGM battery for our cars :)

I Bleed Ford Blue

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2023 grabber blue metallic Mach 1
To get out the motorcraft battery, use a 1" ratchet strap from harbor freight. Run the strap thru the slots for the handle and loop it back to the ratchet, and tighten it up to length desired. Works on any battery that has slots for a handle, and they are cheap, universal, adjustable and reusable.
Sponsored

frank s

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.fsheff.com
First Name
frank
Vehicle(s)
Stang '19 Magnetic, EcoBoost™, Vert, MagneRide® PP
Vehicle Showcase
When I believed I should improve my 2018 GT's battery statistics, I took a chance on this one: ACDelco Group 47AGM.
It is something like a quarter-inch taller than the 96R, but installed that's not a serious drawback. It was not easy to get the original item out, but the new one dropped into place quite handily. Amazon sells it for $166+.

ACDelco47battery.jpg

(Description from getmybattery.com):
Here is the ACDelco Group 47AGM battery
CI Group Number: 47
Type: AGM Automotive
Voltage: 12 V
Positive Position Right Hand
CCA @0°F (-18°C:) 630
CA @32°F (0°C:) 750
Reserve Capacity: 100 Minutes
Ah: 60
Dimensions (Inches): 9.5" x 6.9" x 7.5"
Dimensions (mm): 242 x 175 x 190
Weight: 39.5 LBS / 17.9 kgms
Warranty: 36 Months

I'd still like to get the XS power D4700, just for the labeling and appearance, but that is more expensive than I'm interested in.

D4700-turn-1440x1280.jpg

(Description from 4XSpower.com)
12V BCI Group 47 AGM Battery,
Max Amps 2,900A,
CA: 760A,
Ah: 62, 2000W / 3000W
Weight Lbs. – 41.19
Weight Kgs. – 19.14

Length – 9.49 in
Height – 7.48 in
Width – 6.93 in

MAX Amps – 2900
CA – 760A
RC - 110
Ah - 62

OLdchuck

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chuck
Vehicle(s)
2013 Tacoma, 2020 Miata, MB E350
Ford Blue- The strap is a Great idea ! Thanks for simplifying the process. Been around a while but never did that.

Frank- The Delco seems like a good alternative. More power than OEM, will fit well and Delco is also a major player in the battery world.

OLdchuck

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chuck
Vehicle(s)
2013 Tacoma, 2020 Miata, MB E350
Have not heard much about the XS. However like most specialty batteries they require their own chargers with a specific charging rate.
If cost was no object would go with Anti gravity lithium which for the Mustang(Group 47) weighs less than 10 lbs! Given the cost at $660-850 for a battery even a light one with 1000 -1500CCA is steep!!

OP
OP

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
The strap is a great idea; I have a D-ring one laying around that should work perfectly. Will try to loop it today.

Doesn't a 47 battery require leaving the battery box lid out? I wouldn't like that. But given Advanced Auto has an identical AGM replacement, and 2 lbs lighter at that, I'll go with that. Odyssey also has a 96R, but besides hitting almost $300, its 42-lb weight alone (vs 31. OEM is 33) is a deal-breaker for me. Just something lighter and better than a flooded OEM, and the Advanced Auto battery is the best value for the money IMO.

Hey guys, have another question for the battery experts. Read that Mustangs still have a battery corrosion problem, so want to coat the new battery posts with something suitable before installation. The question is: With what? I've done petroleum jelly before, but read that white lithium grease was better. What do you say? Finally, I never found those stupid green and red pads under the terminals effective, and haven't used them for decades and zero issues. But I'm open to use them again if you guys think they're needed here. Thank you.

Sponsored

el-guapin

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.tesla.com
Vehicle(s)
1949 UFO
Hey guys, have another question for the battery experts. Read that Mustangs still have a battery corrosion problem, so want to coat the new battery posts with something suitable before installation. The question is: With what? I've done petroleum jelly before, but read that white lithium grease was better. What do you say? Finally, I never found those stupid green and red pads under the terminals effective, and haven't used them for decades and zero issues. But I'm open to use them again if you guys think they're needed here. Thank you.
The terminal pads have worked for me.
1.jpg

I have heard of people using this stuff with good results as well

2.png

OP
OP

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Thanks brother. Will go get some of those pads then. But that big a$$ can for just a minute amount to coat the posts would be too much. Will google if petroleum jelly or lithium grease is better. Those pads should do the rest of the work, no? Thanks again.

Hillsndale

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT PP1 Magneride Magnetic Grey
Thanks brother. Will go get some of those pads then. But that big a$$ can for just a minute amount to coat the posts would be too much. Will google if petroleum jelly or lithium grease is better. Those pads should do the rest of the work, no? Thanks again.
Only had limited protection using the small felt disks in the past.

Best thing I've tried, CRC Battery Terminal Protector:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0013J7RAI
In a spray can and has red dye so you know whether you coated all the surfaces. I try to spray some into the ends of the cables too because I have seen corrosion migrate up into the cables. Won't harm cable insulation.

P8K

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang Bullitt
Hey guys, have another question for the battery experts. Read that Mustangs still have a battery corrosion problem, so want to coat the new battery posts with something suitable before installation. The question is: With what? I've done petroleum jelly before, but read that white lithium grease was better. What do you say? Finally, I never found those stupid green and red pads under the terminals effective, and haven't used them for decades and zero issues. But I'm open to use them again if you guys think they're needed here. Thank you.[/QUOTE]

While I'm not a battery expert I've been been using the NCP2 battery treatment kit for the last 30 years to safe guard against battery terminal corrosion on all my personal vehicles plus many work vans. This product has never failed me

https://no.co/products/chemicals/corrosion

Reap

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Harald
Vehicle(s)
1999 Mustang 2017 Mustang

While I'm not a battery expert I've been been using the NCP2 battery treatment kit for the last 30 years to safe guard against battery terminal corrosion on all my personal vehicles plus many work vans. This product has never failed me

https://no.co/products/chemicals/corrosion[/QUOTE]
I've used that battery treatment also and had no problems. I picked mine up at Walmart.

Sponsored

jimmerheck

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Cal Special
I have used the washers and the red spray for years, never a problem. I spray the washers with the red spray to really coat them before installing them, then use the red spray after I've installed the terminals.

OP
OP

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
An update. Found a strap I had laying around, and it worked like a charm. Gave the battery a test (still connected), not expecting to move it at all, but actually yanked it out several inches, then it landed sideways. Found out there's a 1-1/2" front to back channel where the battery barely fits, and it landed out of it. I was able to wrestle it into the channel again, but I was afraid of an acid leak, so proceeded to remove it today, instead of doing a quick swap tomorrow. There was no leak, but better safe than sorry. At any rate, I'm a bit stronger than I thought (ha ha), and removing the battery was a non-event with the strap. It ringed out at exactly 32 lbs, by the way. The new one won't have anything to attach the strap to, but I'm thinking of leaving the strap I used there widthwise. I'll decide tomorrow. Anyway, closed the doors and trunk, and hope I don't lose any settings, including auto up/down windows, seat memory, dash settings, and Sync settings/presets. We'll see tomorrow.

Finally, AGM batteries don't sulfate the terminals, so I don't really have to worry about that from now on. And neither having a freaking leak, in case of an accident, or just a defective case. With the battery out of view, it's MUCH better to have an AGM IMO.

ezracer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 DIB Mustang GT Premium.
This strap has been around for decades. The ends BITE into the battery posts then just lift and install the new battery the same way. Advance auto sells them. EZ
Strap.JPG
P-Z