Formula 1 talk.

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
I expected some shenanigans at the start, but was wrong and it was pretty clean actually. Redbulls race pace, Verstappen, is just on a different level then the others currently.
100%. He has really been in league of his own. Glad to see a clean race but, of course, disappointed at the way it ended. I guess F1 didn’t want to screw it up like they did in Abu Dhabi. Slow response to the safety car and then a delay on calling a red flag. Boring but safe.

Major props to Nick de Vires. Points in his first race. Wonder if he will get a ride for next year.
Sponsored

Weather756

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT350
I expected some shenanigans at the start, but was wrong and it was pretty clean actually. Redbulls race pace, Verstappen, is just on a different level then the others currently.
Probably the only way to stop Max now is to have him start from the parking lot. Russell is doing a great job for Mercedes.

sk47

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Silverado & Nissan Sentra SE
How F1 rules ignored in Abu Dhabi meant no Italian GP restart (msn.com)
Hello; Could this be karma or only irony. After all the stink raised about and end of race safety car in a prior year the race boss followed the rules to the letter.
So, no last lap or two racing which I happen to not like.

The same characters in the drama wound up in similar situations. That being one won the race again and the other did not advance. There was a Ferrari in the mix this time so the scene was not exactly the same. I would have liked to have seen if the Ferrari had the legs to challenge the RB.

NASCAR has worked out a plan which helps a caution flag ending from happening less often. Of course, those cars can dash into the pits for fuel. May be some changes to F1 in order. Not much confidence the current crew can work out a good plan.
With the limited fuel on board and no refueling it may have to be a red flag & standing start. By limited fuel my understanding is the teams generally less fuel than it would take to run a race at full power. Drivers have to change the fuel settings during a race.

Personal thing: This was a long time ago but my take is in the early days of F1 there were no tire changes and no refueling. The cars ran a race on the tires they started with. Another irony of sorts. They went to electric motors with battery packs as a very weak nod to the current woke climate and EV crowd. A pseudo-environmentally friendly gesture for the "green" agenda. Yet they burn up sets of tires lickety split. It would be of interest to see a stack of all the used tires from one race. Seems a race run on one set of tires would be greener than the hybrid tech currently used.

Timeless

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Grand Highlander Hybrid Max Limited
And we would have had an eight time champion had they followed this rule in 2021...I'm sure Lewis and Toto were not amused.

Sponsored

sk47

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
And we would have had an eight time champion had they followed this rule in 2021...I'm sure Lewis and Toto were not amused.
Hello; While you went to the sour grapes of the championship, I see you get the irony of how so many raged that the stewards/race controllers did not follow the strict letter of the rules back then. Now the rules were followed to the letter and the same parties who were unhappy then are unhappy now.
There is an old saying of be careful what you wish for as you might not be happy when you get it. My personal preference is to finish a race with actual racing, not behind a safety car. That Lewis and Toto are again unhappy seems par for the season.

Best I can tell from reading the teams had chances to come up with different rules but could not agree. I guess each keeps looking for an edge for their team. Maybe they can fix the car and be better later on or next season??

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
Toto actually said that because of Abu Dhabi this time they followed the rules to the letter. No one liked that but the rules were followed. Do not want to see a race finish under a safety car, change the rules. Oh right, they tried that earlier this year. The FIA and F1 couldn't get all of the teams to agree. Gotta love F1

Edit: Good article on safety car endings.

https://the-race.com/formula-1/what-f1s-monza-finish-angst-tells-us-about-abu-dhabi/

Last edited:

Inthehighdesert

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Charlie
Vehicle(s)
2020 HE GT350R, 2022 HE Gt500 Cftp
Complete bs. Hamilton got complete pass’s in his bs where Verstappen got zero points which would have affected the end result. The reality is we’re getting to see Hamilton‘s ability when he’s not in the dominant car. It is what is. Like it or not.

Inthehighdesert

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Charlie
Vehicle(s)
2020 HE GT350R, 2022 HE Gt500 Cftp
And Toto went after Redbull and pitstops, because Mercedes couldn’t complete. Toto put his personal Attorney inside the FIA. Merc’s car was subpar to say the least this year. Toto tried his floor bs because there car was so bad. The list goes on and on with that …….. . I have zero respect for that guy, not that that matters, he’s become such a whiney back door ….. it’s ridiculous his tactics are so transparent. Watch what he tries to pull in the off season when they lose both the drivers and manufacturers championships. It’s embarrassing to watch. I can’t speak for others but I just want good racing without all the backdoor politics and bs.

Toto actually said that because of Abu Dhabi this time they followed the rules to the letter. No one liked that but the rules were followed. Do not want to see a race finish under a safety car, change the rules. Oh right, they tried that earlier this year. The FIA and F1 couldn't get all of the teams to agree. Gotta love F1

Edit: Good article on safety car endings.

https://the-race.com/formula-1/what-f1s-monza-finish-angst-tells-us-about-abu-dhabi/

Sponsored

Timeless

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Grand Highlander Hybrid Max Limited
Man, bring up Lewis as the eight time champ if the same rules were applied and it gets spicy in here. 🌶

No matter your bias this is a true statement as the race would have finished under the safety car with Lewis winning.

sk47

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
Man, bring up Lewis as the eight time champ if the same rules were applied and it gets spicy in here. 🌶

No matter your bias this is a true statement as the race would have finished under the safety car with Lewis winning.
Hello; I use to be a judge for regional academic team contests. There were written rules which laid out things in detail. Thing is during every contest something was brought to me. Even with all the rules I sometimes had to make a decision in a gray area. Mostly I could use the written rules. Every now and then I had to go outside the rules and move things along.
A difference being I did not watch the actual matches. I was off in a room on my own. The disputes were brought to me and I made a call. Guess one quality they liked from me was I could not be easily intimidated.
The race director made a call. Max made a call to get fresh tires. Lewis made a call for track position. Max passed Lewis on the track actual racing conditions. Much better than at Monza. Doubt the Ferrari could have passed Max, but deserved the chance to try. All the belly aching after got us the Monza finish. Deal with it.

I want to see them race, not follow a safety car.

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP

I'm sure Lewis wouldn't have wanted that big asterisk after his name in the record book. :wink:

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
I'm sure Lewis wouldn't have wanted that big asterisk after his name in the record book. :wink:
You know Randy, you are right. That's why no one can agree that there is one way to solve this issue. So for now we deal with the possibility of a race ending safety car.

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
You know Randy, you are right. That's why no one can agree that there is one way to solve this issue. So for now we deal with the possibility of a race ending safety car.
Here's the solution to multiple problems with current regs:

1. Red flag when conditions COULD mean less than 2 more green flag laps.
  2. No tire or other changes during such red flags.
  3. When conditions allow, send cars back out and resume gaps from previous green flag lap. If they have technology for a virtual safety car, they can do this.
  4. Resume the race, adding up to 2 laps if race would have ended earlier.
Sponsored