Dr. Norts

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Race Red Mustang GT
It’s 14.9 cents per KWH here. It’s cheaper to drive my Corolla 60 miles/day than it is to charge a Tesla Model 3. That’s summer use. In the hills and in winter, it would cost close to 25% less to drive the Corolla.
Even at your price it's only $13.11 to charge a mach E extended range from empty to full.

No way your corolla will go 270 miles (range of 88kwh mach E) on $13.11 worth of gas.
Sponsored

CJJon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT/CS Convertible - Race Red
Not really. I'll use the mach-e as an example...

Extended range battery is 88 kwh.

In Ontario Canada where I live off peak rate is 8.5 cents Canadian per kwh.

88kwh x 8.5c/kwh = $7.48 CDN to fully charge from empty or $6.14 USD.

Much much cheaper than filling up with gasoline.

I could charge a mach-e from empty to full 9-10x for the price of one full tank of gas in my mustang.
For now. What's going to happen when we all have to connect to the grid? Yeah, it's going to go up. How much? Dunno.

Gregs24

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
Mustang V8 GT, Ford Kuga PHEV
It’s 14.9 cents per KWH here. It’s cheaper to drive my Corolla 60 miles/day than it is to charge a Tesla Model 3. That’s summer use. In the hills and in winter, it would cost close to 25% less to drive the Corolla.
Assuming US petrol is $3 per gallon and 14kWh battery will get you about the same distance as a gallon of fuel (UK gallon) (35 - 40 miles) then the electric car will cost about $2 for the same distance. OK, so you may do a few miles more one way or the other, but even at worst the cost would be the same, and that is with cheap US fuel.

CJJon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT/CS Convertible - Race Red

Gregs24

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
For now. What's going to happen when we all have to connect to the grid? Yeah, it's going to go up. How much? Dunno.
It is worth noting that electricity consumption has been falling for years in Europe, so EV charging will only increase on that steadily falling figure. Much of the reduction has come from LED lighting and more efficient heating and insulation. That is an ongoing process.

Sponsored

Chris2020GT500

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.careeup.tech
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT500 / 2021 Jaguar SVR / 2019 TrackHawk
My former Tesla Model 3 Performance cost me $100 a month on average for commuting 5 days a week, after I sold it, my Honda Accord that replaced it, cost $100 a month in fuel a week.

I do not have anything against EV as I did like some attributes of the Tesla and others I did not like (the safety nannies were annoying and at times dangerous). However, not everyone has a garage or a place to park to access electricity. Also, if you drive a lot, especially during the winter, an EV will be a PIA.

Also, as someone else mentioned earlier, if they start to apply taxes to EV's I think people will quickly turn back to hybrids or even ICE vehicles.

Dr. Norts

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Race Red Mustang GT
My former Tesla Model 3 Performance cost me $100 a month on average for commuting 5 days a week, after I sold it, my Honda Accord that replaced it, cost $100 a month in fuel a week.

I do not have anything against EV as I did like some attributes of the Tesla and others I did not like (the safety nannies were annoying and at times dangerous). However, not everyone has a garage or a place to park to access electricity. Also, if you drive a lot, especially during the winter, an EV will be a PIA.

Also, as someone else mentioned earlier, if they start to apply taxes to EV's I think people will quickly turn back to hybrids or even ICE vehicles.
Until the grid gets extremely smart and updated they will have a hard time figuring out if your charging a car and applying taxes to the electricity used for that purpose.

They can analyze power signatures of devices and such but the back end for the power companies to have this up and running monitoring every customer is well beyond what their systems are currently capable of.

Took them forever just to implement time of use pricing.

Gregs24

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
I dunno, when I did the conversions to dollar that is what I got. Is that cents and not whole krone? I am unfamilar with the sign used
The figure you posted was for 2018. As little as 17 krone in 2020

Norway is one of the most expensive countries in the world to live but also has a very high GDP per capita and it's population are one of the happiest in the world.

It is always difficult to compare countries for things like electricity prices , fuel prices etc as there are so many factors driving it. UK petrol prices have always been much higher than the US (for as long as I have been alive) but the impact on day to day life is negligible because they have always been that way and if we made them cheaper then we would have to pay the tax somewhere else. But then we get free healthcare so it comes down to how the country is setup.

Reactions: 12g

Dave2013M3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Mustang GT Base PP1 6MT Rapid Red
The issue is also going to be the electrical grid. Here is Cali they can't even keep the power on in the summer months when everyone is running AC. Now imagine when you add 4-5 million more cars to the electric grid while you are trying to go green energy. There has to be a major investment in electrical infrastructure before this can take place.

Gregs24

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
Until the grid gets extremely smart and updated they will have a hard time figuring out if your charging a car and applying taxes to the electricity used for that purpose.

They can analyze power signatures of devices and such but the back end for the power companies to have this up and running monitoring every customer is well beyond what their systems are currently capable of.

Took them forever just to implement time of use pricing.
Interestingly some car chargers have the ability to push energy back into the grid which sounds a bit counterintuitive but if you set a departure time it only needs to be fully charged by that time so can be used by the grid as an energy store.

Cars already know where they are, so it wouldn't take much technically to implement pay per mile taxation.

Sponsored

Gregs24

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
The issue is also going to be the electrical grid. Here is Cali they can't even keep the power on in the summer months when everyone is running AC. Now imagine when you add 4-5 million more cars to the electric grid while you are trying to go green energy. There has to be a major investment in electrical infrastructure before this can take place.
There does and it is happening over here (where general consumption is falling steadily anyway) with the national grid providing long and short term preparedness for the generation and infrastructure.

zero_chance

Dismember
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
JD
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Premium w/ Performance Pack
Wait until everybody clues in on the environmental impact of batteries. Alos I'm guessing there is much more oil left than Lithium
Lithium will likely be phased out before the end of the decade as solid state batteries are the new rage, and are supposed to be safer, better for environment and more powerful. I’ll go where the power is, whether it’s powered by gas, electricity or ground up unicorn horns.

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
Toyota has a hydrogen car, claims it can be refilled to 400 mile range in 5 min.

Hydrogen is the answer. EV's are a joke.

With hydrogen we can keep our V8 and be green

Dr. Norts

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Race Red Mustang GT
Toyota has a hydrogen car, claims it can be refilled to 400 mile range in 5 min.

Hydrogen is the answer. EV's are a joke.

With hydrogen we can keep our V8 and be green
Until they have a large scale way to create hydrogen which doesn't use more energy than it creates it'll never fly.

Still takes more energy to make than you get back In hydrogen. It's technically net negative energy.

Cory S

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cory
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium
Even at your price it's only $13.11 to charge a mach E extended range from empty to full.

No way your corolla will go 270 miles (range of 88kwh mach E) on $13.11 worth of gas.
At $2.19/gallon it will.
Sponsored