Sponsored

CJJon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT/CS Convertible - Race Red
Until they have a large scale way to create hydrogen which doesn't use more energy than it creates it'll never fly.

Still takes more energy to make than you get back In hydrogen. It's technically net negative energy.
Smart solar or atomic. Done.

Chris2020GT500

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.careeup.tech
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT500 / 2021 Jaguar SVR / 2019 TrackHawk
Let’s also not forget that unless all the other countries in the world follow suit, the environmental impact will remain very close to what it is today. Also, the amount of energy needed to fully support the “notion...or dream?” of 100% EVs will have its own set of environmental consequences.

Cory S

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cory
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium
Let’s also not forget that unless all the other countries in the world follow suit, the environmental impact will remain very close to what it is today. Also, the amount of energy needed to fully support the “notion...or dream?” of 100% EVs will have its own set of environmental consequences.
That’s common sense. They don’t make that anymore.

Sponsored

Chris2020GT500

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.careeup.tech
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT500 / 2021 Jaguar SVR / 2019 TrackHawk

TTown

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 4Runner; '19 CRV; '06 Explorer; '17 Civic
That article did not have anything from Widmann that said the V8 is safe, just that the current ones are really powerful. Our problem will be getting gasoline in 15 yeats.
There will be no problem getting gas in 15 years. If electric cars were the only thing made starting tomorrow, it would take 20-25 years to get ride of ice vehicles. But that's not happening of course. By most accounts I've read, by 2040 (or so) only around 50-60% of new car sales will be electric. Even if all of that is sped up, the bottom line is that ICE cars will be around for quite a long time and so will gasoline. That said, I could see new V8's die out in 5-10 years with ICE engines being relagated to turbo 4 bangers, hybrids, etc.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Helium is the answer…. We can keep the V8’s and everyone outside of the vehicle will be sounding like Michael Jackson… “teeee-heeeeeeeeee” … from helium induced exhaust ingestion…. 😂

BrettT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brett
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt, 2006 Jetta 2.0T, 2013 Escape SEL
The biggest stumbling block in my state is how they are going to get the tax money out of the populace when people no longer use gasoline. They said they will figure that out first and then implement. It will probably be a drive by mile automatically billed. The tech exists.

The rest is just details...
I read last week than Manitoba is implementing an annual EV tax of I think $120 per year to cover lost gas tax revenue....

Gregs24

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
Mustang V8 GT, Ford Kuga PHEV
Until they have a large scale way to create hydrogen which doesn't use more energy than it creates it'll never fly.

Still takes more energy to make than you get back In hydrogen. It's technically net negative energy.
There are two ways of producing hydrogen at present. Blue Hydrogen made from natural gas which produces CO2 in the process which has to be locked up. Green Hydrogen is produced from seawater using 'spare' electricity. Now I'm sure the first thing some will say is what 'spare' electricity but actually this is a problem the UK is facing and actually caused our most recent supply problem. A large part of our generation is offshore wind power and this frequently produces too much electricity (you can't turn the wind off) so actually using this at times of low demand to produce Hydrogen is an eminently sensible idea.

Sponsored

Ace

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.modernmusclecars.de
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2018 Camaro 2SS (EU)
I really like Widmann, he always seems like an honest guy that cares about the Mustang and is pretty open in interviews. To me his statements here sounds like what was a bit expected: Mustang7 might still have the V8 option, but we already know that a hybrid will be offered.

I think his point of customers will decide the fate of the V8 will then be pretty clear then: Ford will have a close look on how the hybrid and pure ICE models sell before making final decisions here.

Since Ford Europe also stated that they won't offer Non-Hybrid models anymore in 2025 and electric only in 2030 it will be interesting to see what engines will be offered here

Gregs24

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
Toyota has a hydrogen car, claims it can be refilled to 400 mile range in 5 min.

Hydrogen is the answer. EV's are a joke.

With hydrogen we can keep our V8 and be green
Yes and no. Agree hydrogen fuel cell as a source of electricity for your electric car is very sensible but it would still involve batteries - the Mirai has a battery on board but very small compared to a full BEV. So fuel cell cars are just another evolution of the EV, not dissimilar to a PHEV in concept. So I think technically you are saying BEV's are a joke compared to say a PHEV of FCV, as all are a form of EV

Running a V8 on hydrogen is possible - hydrogen in ICE engines was first done in the 1800's. BMW it seems even made a hydrogen powered 7 series (two off). Another avenue of research I'm sure.

Gregs24

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
There will be no problem getting gas in 15 years. If electric cars were the only thing made starting tomorrow, it would take 20-25 years to get ride of ice vehicles. But that's not happening of course. By most accounts I've read, by 2040 (or so) only around 50-60% of new car sales will be electric. Even if all of that is sped up, the bottom line is that ICE cars will be around for quite a long time and so will gasoline. That said, I could see new V8's die out in 5-10 years with ICE engines being relagated to turbo 4 bangers, hybrids, etc.
This of course depends where you live and the car market is global. You may live in a country where ICE cars are not banned, but if everywhere else is, then they still will not get made. With no ICE cars to be sold after 2030 in Europe that is one big market that is closing to ICE cars and will impact carmakers - especially when they see the direction of travel.

Gregs24

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
The amount of energy at point of use will not change, but the SOURCE of that energy will. Also don't forget just how inefficient the ICE engine is compared to an electric motor / generator. A car engine manages 25% efficiency compared to an electric motor at 75% to nearly 100%. ICE's generate a LOT of waste heat.

Gregs24

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
How do you dispose of EVs when they get old? EPA danger of batteries?
Well apart from the battery an EV is no different to a regular ICE car, of which about 85% is recycled in the US and this has increased rapidly in recent years where car design has aided recycling. VW is now starting a battery recycling plant as well as Renault, but they have time on their side. EV batteries effectively last the lifetime of the vehicle and then some when repurposed so 15 years is not an unreasonable estimate of lifetime.
Sponsored