Sponsored

Fore fuel system with Whipple tune?

tsloms

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Magnetic PP
I've installed the Whipple with the 3.625 pulley a few weeks ago and since I live in WI I won't be running my car until spring. Initially my plan was and still is to try the car with 91 octane for a bit in the spring and get it dynoed on 91. After this I have a triple pump fore fuel sustem to run for E85. I plan to get the new ID1050X injectors for E85 and a Lind tune.

I know that the stock fuel pump is a PWM motor that is controlled by the ECU but does it simply hold a steady pressure? If so I'd like to install my Fore fuel system over the winter and run on it for a bit before switching over to E85.

Is it possible to run the Whipple tune with the 72# injectors and Fore fuel system for a while and then switch to E85 at a later time? What should I set the fuel psi to then?
Sponsored

daltron

Rowing All Day
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jonathan
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP
Great question, I am interested in the answer as well. Heads up though, the 3.625 should be ran with 93. 91 is only recommended for the 3.75 pulley.

phunk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 GT-PP
I dont think the stock fuel pump is PWM. Maybe it was, I will have to look into that. Since it is returnless, it does hold a steady pressure.

You can run a tune built for the stock fuel system even with your built fuel system so long as your fuel injectors are the same, you set the regulator to run stock pressure, and you do not connect a vacuum line to the regulator.

I dont remember what stock pressure setting is any more. Youll have to look that one up.

Last edited:
OP
OP

tsloms

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
From my searching it appears that the stock pressure should be set to 55psi. I suppose I'll try setting it to that and see how it runs.

I'll run a touch of octane boost to bump it to the recommended 93. For some reason 93 is very hard to find around here.

Will@Whipple

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
William
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
The Stock Fuel system is a Mechanical Return-less Fuel system with the regulator in the fuel pump assembly itself. Its a constant 4 Bar (58 PSI ) So you can run the Fore Fuel System with the Whipple kit and our Calibration but you will need to use the Factory Fuel Pump Trigger wire from the FPDM to trigger the relay's for the new Fuel Pump's and set the Regulator to 58 PSI.

Sponsored

Jeff_oddo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Premium
My fuel pressure regulator is set to 55psi as per Lund's recommendation and I have it connected to a vacuum source

Dennisn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 gt
The Stock Fuel system is a Mechanical Return-less Fuel system with the regulator in the fuel pump assembly itself. Its a constant 4 Bar (58 PSI ) So you can run the Fore Fuel System with the Whipple kit and our Calibration but you will need to use the Factory Fuel Pump Trigger wire from the FPDM to trigger the relay's for the new Fuel Pump's and set the Regulator to 58 PSI.
This is pretty much what my tuner also. Could install the fuel system, set fuel pressure and would be ok without a tune revision. I think I'd wanna have the logs checked. Mine was only temporary until I threw my power adder on and I knew I was getting retuned anyways.

Once I added the power added I did add a boost line to the regulator and it adjusts pressure with boost. My tuner was very specific as for my pressure regulator to see boost only not vacuum.

Dat Boi Kumar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chad
Vehicle(s)
2015 Comp Orange Mustang GT
Wouldn't happen to know which wire that is would you?

phunk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 GT-PP
Wouldn't happen to know which wire that is would you?
The fuel pump wires are larger gauge than the sensor wires in the connector, you can't miss them when you get in there. The stock wires seem more than sufficient to run a (single) Walbro 450. I did not add a relay for the primary pump in my Fore hanger, it's just on 100% stock wiring. Then used the Hobbs switch with a relay for the aux pump.

OP
OP

tsloms

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'll be digging into adding the fuel system next week so I'll add some pics and info when I'm installing my system.
Sponsored