2morrow

DesignR/DriveR/RiceEatR
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
'16 Mustang GTPP
Looking forward to the Sync 4 update to the 8" screen myself.

Not gonna bitch about that other nonsense. if you don't want it, don't buy it.
Sponsored

zackmd1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zack
Vehicle(s)
1970 Mustang, 1965 AC Cobra, 2023 Ford Bronco 2Dr
Cost saving does not equal premium... and handheld devices are why people are getting into accident while they drive. Fords "fad" monitor design will fail because they already learned from complaints with sync2.. as they developed sync3. People wanted less digital and more real buttons.

A clean dash might be more aesthetically pleasing, but it is not more ergonomic, or functional.
Do me a favor... Search "the Tesla effect" on Google.... People are equating luxury with technology more then they are materials. This is thanks to Tesla. Whether you like it or not, this is the way the market is moving.

What makes your opinion based on very limited personal experience with this technology (as far as I can tell) correct? I guarantee you Ford and other auto makers have done thousands of market research studies to determine the path forward. What makes your opinion better then that?

zackmd1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zack
Vehicle(s)
. You're going to have to hit the touch point precisely enough, which takes longer than to just find it visually especially if it's not very close at hand as most control buttons and knobs have traditionally been.
Not with a more sensitive and calibrated touchscreen... Sync 2 uses a restrictive touch screen that is basically ancient tech. Sync 3 uses capacitive touch (same as phones) but is not adequately calibrated to accept quick presses and responses. Again, not what they are doing but how they are doing it...

w3rkn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
bmw 135is(sold)
Do me a favor... Search "the Tesla effect" on Google.... People are equating luxury with technology more then they are materials. This is thanks to Tesla. Whether you like it or not, this is the way the market is moving.

What makes your opinion based on very limited personal experience with this technology (as far as I can tell) correct? I guarantee you Ford and other auto makers have done thousands of market research studies to determine the path forward. What makes your opinion better then that?

Before that, it was the apple effect.... and before that, it was ... etc. Marketing is nothing new.

So understand, that it is not "people" that are equating it.... it is marketers, that dumb people listen to... who are equating tesla = luxury. And usually to people who can't even afford to drive one, they just admire it...

Next year is a 17" monitor, because the 14" wasn't luxury enough..!

This is what Roger Waters sang about on his album; Amused to Death. (Over indulgence)

Sponsored

zackmd1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zack
Vehicle(s)

In 10 years, the whole windshield will be an LED display, lol.​
That is probably here it is going honestly.... Transparent OLED display sandwiched between two panes of glass like current automotive glass that will allow for the display of information directly on the windshield.

Grimmer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Manual
The HVAC "automation" is aggravating... They have removed the most important buttons and embedded them two or more clicks deep in the menus (Sync 3) which requires that I look at the screen (for way too long). And the screen is so far out of my line of sight that my peripheral vision is much less effective at detecting changes on the road ahead (much worse than when checking gauges that are only inches away from the road ahead).

What nimrod decided that the heater has to blow only on my feet and the A/C has to blow only in my face? Why can't the user define the default "automated" behavior to blow everything, hot or cold, (except defrost) at both the body core and lower extremities?

With actual buttons, one can read the gaps between the buttons with one's fingertip to count "2 over, 1 up" to find the button needed then press it, and only it, without looking at them at all. I have not yet encountered a touch screen with braille or any other tactile separation or demarcation between the virtual buttons. Furthermore how would it know to ignore your finger feeling it's way across 4 unintended buttons before arriving at and accepting input from the only button you intended to press? Perhaps such a touchscreen could be designed and built but the more physical demarcation added to the screen's surface the less versatility for virtual button "content / function" and pretty soon you might as well use physical buttons. You could assign multiple functions to the same area of the screen with a given surface texture, much like menus work today, but when the meaning of that area of the screen changes, you are back to looking at it in order to know what touching it will do.

To demonstrate try this little experiment... I'll even make it easier by having it start from the home screen. Without looking at the screen at all, not even once, select the climate control page (don't forget that the climate button moves around when you scroll through the selections at the bottom), then set the HVAC to blow through the dash vents and the floor vents. I'll wager it can't be done without looking (via touch screen or voice commands).

Now without looking at all, not even once, run your fingertip lightly over the HVAC buttons to find the fan speed up button and increase the fan setting by 2 notches. Too much? Now move your finger to the fan speed decrease button and lower it by 1 notch. Quite simple and easy to do (even blindfolded - i.e. simulating not taking your eyes off the road ahead).

RugbyRef

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
Not sure if anyone has seen this, but Phoenix Automotive has this for your Mustang...

upload_2019-11-1_8-8-9.jpeg

The entire front panel where the Sync 3 system, climate control, etc., now is all touch-screen. Only two knobs for controlling "volume" on the left and "temp" on the right. Here's a video...if you're interested.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
Not with a more sensitive and calibrated touchscreen... Sync 2 uses a restrictive touch screen that is basically ancient tech. Sync 3 uses capacitive touch (same as phones) but is not adequately calibrated to accept quick presses and responses. Again, not what they are doing but how they are doing it...
I'm looking strictly at the human side, which still requires more time to make a control input (of any sort) than to simply read a display. Basically, you're not going to be able to change the HVAC settings (or even change a different radio station) as fast as you can read a speedometer. You may be able to decide that that's what you want to do in a comparable amount of time, but you just can't physically get the job done as quickly. The further you have to reach - and for sure the more you have to look where your hand/finger has to go - the longer it's going to take (it's why so many functions have been moved to steering column stalks and the steering wheels themselves).

Norm

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
Not to argue that this effect isn't present . . . but can you explain why that should be considered a good thing? It sounds a whole lot more like vanity to me, where the least amount of personal physical involvement is being viewed as the best way to get things done . . . #becauseluxurious = we've got all these servants.

Dare I even suggest that to the average customer, things like image and style are overrated while function and actual need are underrated? Is it possible that among the generations that can hardly put their phones down, there is a real desire for all other aspects of life to be made to look, feel, and work in much the same way?

Norm

Sponsored
OP
OP
Bikeman315

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
What nimrod decided that the heater has to blow only on my feet and the A/C has to blow only in my face? Why can't the user define the default "automated" behavior to blow everything, hot or cold, (except defrost) at both the body core and lower extremities?
Although I agree with your post I find this comment interesting. Hot air rises, cold air falls. That’s why the default settings for heaters blow down and a/c blow up (no evaporator joke intended). The automated design you ask for could easily be done on a electronic touchscreen, which you obviously would prefer not to have.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
Probably the same "nimrod" who realized that there are way too many people who aren't smart enough to turn the HVAC from 'recirculate' to 'fresh air' when the side glass fogs up, and figured that automating the HVAC and setting its defaults for the protection of the stupid was the way to go.

I do understand (with some basis) that different people want or may even need to have different HVAC flow settings. People who wear contacts vs those who don't, for example.

Norm

Grimmer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Manual
Although I agree with your post I find this comment interesting. Hot air rises, cold air falls. That’s why the default settings for heaters blow down and a/c blow up (no evaporator joke intended). The automated design you ask for could easily be done on a electronic touchscreen, which you obviously would prefer not to have.
I would celebrate the day they allow me to choose the automatic default. System settings and preference choices e.g. things that are set occasionally and and can be done when stopped with plenty of time to screw around with it are excellent candidates for a touch screen interface).

I don't mind the touchscreen (although I do prefer buttons) what I don't like is that there is no alternate way to adjust some things. Things that are set/adjusted all the time, especially when driving should not be migrated into the touch screen (without an alternate form of input). In my opinion, Ford went just a little too far with the S550 touch screen implementation, hopefully they course correct, but based on this thread it would appear they are still going farther down that rabbit hole. Previous posts nailed it when they said it is a cheapness cop-out. Being forced into using a touch screen (for the car and my cellphone) is bothersome, as I still find all touchscreens to be more clunky and much less efficient that any physical button, especially for keyboards. (As evidenced by the no less than 2 dozen incorrect spellings and incorrect "assumptions" I've had to correct just while typing this post.)

Also, what happens when Android Auto or Apple Car Play replaces the Sync 3 interface? Has anyone tried it recently? Can Android Auto inject climate control commands to the system? Or will it only do radio, phone and navigation?

In winter, when it's so cold you are shivering, does heating only the feet bring comfort faster than heating the body core? Should we have to wait for the heat to rise (without being cooled off by the ambient cold) to get warm? I've literally had my feet blown so hot that they are nearly sweating while still feeling cold and uncomfortable overall. It is much faster and more comfortable to heat my body core and feet at the same time. The flip side goes for sweaty feet in the summertime. The principle of temperatures diffusing naturally is much less effective and takes forever (especially when forced air to the needed zone is available by the push of a button or turn of a knob... Oh wait, the button is gone).

Grimmer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Manual
I do understand (with some basis) that different people want or may even need to have different HVAC flow settings. People who wear contacts vs those who don't, for example.

Norm
I agree. All the more reason to let us choose are default system behavior...

tokuzumi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Escalade ESV
Touch screens in cars have garbage interfaces. Muscle memory is not a thing any longer. Manufacturers have just thrown up their hands and hope that larger screens will fix the issue.
Sponsored