Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
Its neat for something different.
With ZERO aftermarket support other than a few supercharger companies offerings. On a side note.. seems that even at low boost levels rods are divorcing the block haha. Well then, get rods they say. NOT so fast, you'll need custom forged rods cause nobody makes any. Now we're talking big boy $$$ and will still make way less HP than a 5 point oh so slow.
Sponsored

PaddyPrix

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
First Name
Patrick
Vehicle(s)
07 335is, 08 LR2, 13 Tahoe, 18 Mustang GT x2
Vehicle Showcase

engineermike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GTPP A10
The 7.3 crate is a cool motor for a race car. It kinda reminds me of an LS7 except 15 years late and 75 hp short.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
If you don't have to worry about emissions and fuel economy, a bigger CI pushrod engine is a great way to go for performance. As stock it would be best for a pickup. Just like the GM LS engines. They fall a little flat when they rev out, which to me is annoying on track in a performance vehicle. Can be ok on the street, though. And like I said, it could be fun in a pickup.

I agree with @WildHorse that there isn't enough aftermarket yet to be economically a good idea for a car performance application. Not that cost will stop everyone. I'm looking forward to seeing what people do with it.

I'm really hoping for a 5.7 or larger DOHC version of the Coyote. That I would definitely want even if it cost more than I really wanted to pay. I'm just not that much of a pickup guy.

If I really wanted a high HP, high $$ pushrod Ford I'd probably build a 8.2 deck 363 stroker. Nice, compact package and you can get plenty of proven power. Either that or I'd go with an aftermarket block, big cubes and better heads in a Ford Cleveland design.

Sponsored

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
The 7.3 crate is a cool motor for a race car. It kinda reminds me of an LS7 except 15 years late and 75 hp short.
And hopefully it doesn't have the major flaws that the LS7 did. And hopefully Ford will only put it in pickups where it belongs. Not put a pushrod engine in a "sports car".

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
I agree with @WildHorse that there isn't enough aftermarket yet to be economically a good idea for a car performance application. Not that cost will stop everyone. I'm looking forward to seeing what people do with it.
Well if cost was no object, everybody would be rolling around in 1100 hp 4 bangers. In this case, no controller pack, No CAI, no LTH, no cam, no aftermarket pistons/rods, no this, that, or anything else. And there won't be a high enough demand for anything 7.3 related. So at the end of the day, you'll still have godzilla that's way down on hp than the gen2+ 5.0 coyote.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Well if cost was no object, everybody would be rolling around in 1100 hp 4 bangers. In this case, no controller pack, No CAI, no LTH, no cam, no aftermarket pistons/rods, no this, that, or anything else. And there won't be a high enough demand for anything 7.3 related. So at the end of the day, you'll still have godzilla that's way down on hp than the gen2+ 5.0 coyote.
I think I agree with what you mean in general, but I would have either a V8 or V12 in all my cars if cost was no object. Just possibly there might be a flat 6 in there... but no way would I have a 4 cylinder car if cost was no object.

Interceptor

Daily Driver
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 California Special A10
I don't get it.

If the power isn't getting to the ground why build it for the street?

Seems currently the 5.0 has all this covered.

Sponsored

andymakv

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Vehicle(s)
'02 Crown Vic TR3650 swapped
While I agree there is no sense reinventing the wheel, the current 5.0 makes plenty of snot to motivate the Mustang...but I'd love to plug one of these 7.3's into an older restomod pickup like this....maybe some day when they become junkyard LS money....

Interceptor

Daily Driver
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 California Special A10
While I agree there is no sense reinventing the wheel, the current 5.0 makes plenty of snot to motivate the Mustang...but I'd love to plug one of these 7.3's into an older restomod pickup like this....maybe some day when they become junkyard LS money....

By that time people will be doing electric motor swaps.
Sponsored