Sponsored

Ford will not sell an ESP warranty to even non-modified or lightly modified mustang owners?

Deleted member 35786

I can afford a $200 repair. I can't afford a grenaded engine from piston slap or a replacement on a year 1 A10. ...

Well actually i probably could afford those items, but i wouldn't want to within a 5 year period of paying the car off. If i ever do it it should be building it to take boost, not replacing an engine with less than 100,000 (and likely less than 70,000) miles on it. Having that hanging over my head will almost absolutely zap the fun factor out of spirited driving. Not knowing the long term reliability of the FI condor was a bit of a buzz kill for me some times also. I don't need it to last 10 or 15 years, but i absolutely want it to last 8 or 9. Honestly i may trade it for a used GT 500 after 4 or 5 years anyway, but i would like some continuing coverage if i decide to keep it instead.
TBH take that $1500 or so and invest it. So in 5yrs you have doubled/tripled or even more.
You have 5yr 60k mile warranty to think about it.
It's your money so good luck..
Sponsored

Bluemustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Base GT
TBH take that $1500 or so and invest it. So in 5yrs you have doubled/tripled or even more.
You have 5yr 60k mile warranty to think about it.
It's your money so good luck..
I agree with the investment advice. Take that money and put it in the market. I stupidly took my money out the market, and all the gains I would have had would have covered all my mods. The time value is money is very important, provided you have the opportunity.

geep81

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Glenn
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT Premium
Extended warranty plans are some of the biggest con jobs ever. Will never do it again in the future.
I bought the Ford extended warranty for my old '05 Lincoln LS. It more than paid for itself in 5 years, and then in year 4 the transmission crapped the bed and was totally replaced. 4k alone just for the part. Thank you to me for purchasing that extended warranty!

I will buy it for this car most likely. We will see how it does for a few years!

Deleted member 35786

I agree with the investment advice. Take that money and put it in the market. I stupidly took my money out the market, and all the gains I would have had would have covered all my mods. The time value is money is very important, provided you have the opportunity.
:thumbsup:
Yep I will put it into my Roth or whatever fund I have. If the car has a shit ton of issues after 5yr 60K miles, then it will be for sale. After all it is just a damn car, mustang or not.

Bluemustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Base GT
:thumbsup:
Yep I will put it into my Roth or whatever fund I have. If the car has a shit ton of issues after 5yr 60K miles, then it will be for sale. After all it is just a damn car, mustang or not.
Yeah the Roth works good for me right now because I'm only 31 and I expect I'll be in a larger tax bracket by the time I'm ready to retire. And in 5 years I can take it out. But, I haven't touched the Roth and don't plan to.

Sponsored

302@12psi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Kona PP2 Recaros
The merit of the warranty is certainly going to be hit or miss. Ford, or any other company who offers them, aren't losing money. I'm fairly confident most cars are going to last into the 100k mile range these days. If they aren't falling apart during the factory warranty they will likely make it to 100k fine.

For me personally it broke down to dollars and cents. For about two car payments I was able to take mine out to 7 years and 125k. It will be covered by Ford years after it is paid off which matters to me.

If I took that money and put it into a mutual fund account it might get enough interest to cover most repairs but if it is an engine or tranny or both then what?

For those attempting to use Dave Ramsey's remarks on warranties how many of those folks financed their cars? Hhhhmmmmmmm

TicTocTach

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Clair
Vehicle(s)
2018 EBPP
So it it is actually $900 cheaper yet again through Ford Flood (about $200 cheaper than Ziegler).

That is for 100,000 8 years. (I typically only drive 7 to 9k per year).

So in total this would have been:
Dealer Purchaed: $3,400
Ford ESP Direct: $2,400
Flood Ford: $1,180

That is the premium that covers car rental, lost keys and bumper to bumper but with a $200 deductible. I was looking to avoid big ticket costs not cheap repairs. I don't know for that cost seems like a no brainer really even with my suspension and brakes being non covered. Steeda does a life time warranty on their stuff anyway so no worries there.
This is the ESP I got from Flood. I tend to keep cars, so a 3/36 wasn't going to cut it with the potential for significant AC repairs hanging out there. I figure I'm gambling that I'll have a problem at all, and if it happens after the base warranty expires, the cost will be a wash. If it happens twice, I'm ahead. If it doesn't happen at all, well, I'm out the cost of a set of tires.

If you think you need the warranty and your dealer isn't working with you, I can vouch that Flood is a piece of cake to work with. Like you, I'm not worried about a $200 maintenance expense, but I don't want to deal with a big expense from a known problem. The Honda Fit I drove for 11 years prior to the Mustang was the most reliable car I've ever owned, and I'll be a happy camper if the Mustang comes close. The fun factor makes up for a lot of potential sins...

OP
OP
Allentown

Allentown

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Allen
Vehicle(s)
2021 401A Security pckg 20x9 Chrome Wheel Upgrade
This is the ESP I got from Flood. I tend to keep cars, so a 3/36 wasn't going to cut it with the potential for significant AC repairs hanging out there. I figure I'm gambling that I'll have a problem at all, and if it happens after the base warranty expires, the cost will be a wash. If it happens twice, I'm ahead. If it doesn't happen at all, well, I'm out the cost of a set of tires.

If you think you need the warranty and your dealer isn't working with you, I can vouch that Flood is a piece of cake to work with. Like you, I'm not worried about a $200 maintenance expense, but I don't want to deal with a big expense from a known problem. The Honda Fit I drove for 11 years prior to the Mustang was the most reliable car I've ever owned, and I'll be a happy camper if the Mustang comes close. The fun factor makes up for a lot of potential sins...
Yea the approved it. Any repairs for the next 8 years that cost more than $200 will be on their dime for the remainder. If any of my Steeda parts break, i know steeda will have me covered. I think my willwood brakes only have about a 2 year warranty on those so i may have to deal with those later but i got a crazy cheap deal on them. With the piston slapping issue and the fact that this is year 1 for the A10 i have a bit of piece of mind now that Ill be covered out long enough that ill either wont mind coughing up cash for repairs because ill have used the car quite a bit or ill have traded it for another mustang. Like you said, the cost of the warranty was about what a set of tires cost..if you are buying one of the cheaper set of tires..., cant even buy a set of wheels or brakes for what the warranty cost via buying it direct from Flood. If anything stupid happens with the AC or the electronics etc. (stuff i wasnt really worried about), ill still be covered since i got the premium version. I did not elect for the extra car rental coverage but it does give you 10 days of car rental for repairs. I didn't get the key services because with the $200 deductible plan you wouldn't even meet the ded. If i sold the car after 3 years, i would get the majority of the cash back via a check.

Last edited:

TorqueMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 EcoBoost Premium
The warranty or no warranty choice is a numbers game, so you should look at the numbers. I'd start by looking at long-term reliability stats for the Mustang, which according to Consumer Reports are very good actually. I rate the chance of any major drivetrain malfunction prior to 100k very low. Based on that, I think you'd be smart to invest the money you would put into a warranty. If worse comes to worst and your motor/transmission explodes you'll have that money to subtract from the bill, and you could finance the rest. Again, I view this as a very low risk.

If, on the other hand, you believe you abolutely, positively CANNOT absorb any repair cost above what you would have in savings, then you really have no choice.

BTW, this all assumes you intend to drive the car SANELY. If you like to hoon the thing at every stop light then all bets are off. Additionally, the "piston slap" issue is a red herring; Ford says the ticking is normal for this engine. Considering many owners with older Ford V8s report the same noise over YEARS of reliable service, I'm inclined to believe the factory on this one.

Sponsored

hws52

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Henry
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium
Bought the car a few months ago (Brand new, i am the original owner) and between the suspension mods I'm doin and liking it so much combined with paranoia about the 5.0 piston slap decided to inquire about putting more meat on the warranty and planning to keep the car more long term.

Ford allows you to purchase an extended ESP warranty any time during the first 3yr/36 month period of ownership at any of their 4 levels and it really isn't that expensive to get something like 8yr/75k miles if you VIN is one of the cheaper models which mine is.

You can do it over the phone or direct but what happened today regarding asking questions about what will and won't be covered and then being disqualified just on the basis of just asking those questions has me dumbfounded.

She basically said...."You messed up when you mentioned the Ford Power pack"...not in exactly those words...but pretty much in those words.....as in...you are not even allowed to even say "ford power pack"...those are the words that shall not be uttered. Is it Voldermere?

Think Ben Stiller when he said "bomb" on an airplane in "meet the fockers "... In that clip they were like "you said bomb" and he said "Yea, I said I don't have a bomb" and they were like ."He said bomb again!" "Arrest him".

That was pretty much exactly how the ford ESP sales rep reacted to "ford power pack".
One thing to keep in mind if you are solely looking at the ESP due to concerns about the drivetrain. You already have a 5yr/50000 miles warranty for that, spending the money for the ESP only gives you one more year and 10000 miles

302@12psi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Kona PP2 Recaros
One thing to keep in mind if you are solely looking at the ESP due to concerns about the drivetrain. You already have a 5yr/50000 miles warranty for that, spending the money for the ESP only gives you one more year and 10000 miles
They offer ESP's out to 150k/8 years. While it is costly for 150/8 (3,600) it is offered. WIth a 200 dollar deductible it goes to 2690.

With many folks financing for 5-8 years it does offer a certain amount of coverage for those who over stretched their terms. There's a different conversation if that makes sense or not but folks are in that situation.

If folks plan on keeping the car and have a typical loan on something like this car it's another month or two of payments to get the warranty covered for a decent amount of ownership. If the buyer runs through cars every 2-4 years it likely doesn't make sense. But one can transfer it or return it if needed.

I certainly isn't for everyone. But it shouldn't be dismissed for everyone either. Ford obviously makes out selling these if they were losing money they wouldn't offer them. Most aren't going to take advantage of it. But if you blow a motor, rear, or tranny at 80k miles 5 years in there's some security offered. Not to mention the HVAC system, ECU's, etc.

If I took the amount I paid for the extra ESP and put it into a an account for 5 years it MIGHT cover one costly repair. Of course if I never needed it then it is extra money but thats the chance you take. We budget for routine repairs monthly. That budget item isn't going to cover a motor out of warranty.

OP
OP
Allentown

Allentown

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Allen
Vehicle(s)
2021 401A Security pckg 20x9 Chrome Wheel Upgrade
8 yrs 100k miles was $1180. I'd hit the 8 years before the 100k

Deleted member 35786

Factory warranty is 5yr/60000 miles not 50K.

OP save the money and pay off the car sooner and stop giving it to Ford... Be smart.

Last edited by a moderator:

64Chevy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
1964 Chevy C10, 1998 BMW M3, 2008 Lotus Exige 240S, 2013 911 C4S, 2015 Wrangler Rubicon
Extended warranty plans are some of the biggest con jobs ever. Will never do it again in the future.
Not necessarily, but maybe more and more true. I've had extended warranties on some vehicles going back to an '89 Probe GT. In each case, I have only gotten warranties (excepting the Probe) on vehicles that had worse than average reliability. In each case (including the Probe) the warranties saved me significant money. The only current vehicle I have that I thought about a warranty on was my Jeep, but it is so modified that I figured 1) the warranty wouldn't cover that much, and 2) it would be a fight to get anything covered. Also, buying a CPO car is a form of an extended warranty--I did one of those and I'm currently way ahead, and I still have CPO warranty left.

Also, for some people it is a "piece of mind" issue. If you are wired such that you care much more about a safety net (even when a bad investment) than how the dollars work out it makes sense to get the extended warranty.
Sponsored