Sponsored

Ford will not sell an ESP warranty to even non-modified or lightly modified mustang owners?

OP
OP
Allentown

Allentown

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Allen
Vehicle(s)
2021 401A Security pckg 20x9 Chrome Wheel Upgrade
CALL Flood Ford, stop trying to do it online.

If you can’t make headway with Flood Ford, call your Salesguy back at the selling Dealer and get in there.

If you can’t get it through Ford at all, there are PLENTY of aftermarket warrany plans that are 100% serviceable at Ford Dealerships (and some are even supported by Ford) and offer the same if not better coverage.

No one knows exactly what transpired between you and the ESP Rep, but I can’t imagine that a potential Customer asking valid questions about what the plans cover or offer would all of the sudden reject a potential sale and deny ANY ESP warranty based on your VIN.

Hell, call the Ford 800# and ask for a Supervisor and tell them you can’t get the ESP Team to help you out.
So it it is actually $900 cheaper yet again through Ford Flood (about $200 cheaper than Ziegler).

That is for 100,000 8 years. (I typically only drive 7 to 9k per year).

So in total this would have been:
Dealer Purchaed: $3,400
Ford ESP Direct: $2,400
Flood Ford: $1,180

That is the premium that covers car rental, lost keys and bumper to bumper but with a $200 deductible. I was looking to avoid big ticket costs not cheap repairs. I don't know for that cost seems like a no brainer really even with my suspension and brakes being non covered. Steeda does a life time warranty on their stuff anyway so no worries there.
Sponsored

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
Give Champion Ford a call about this too. I found them to be a bit cheaper than even Flood Ford.

They never asked anything about my mods, and I have quite a few suspension things done and the PP2. Got my ESP on the spot for half of what Ford online quoted me and $150 cheaper than Flood.

fiveoboy01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 LB GT 400A
However it's odd they would refuse an ESP over a customer admitting they understood certain swapped parts would be their responsibility .
It's not odd at all. They see someone who's going to abuse the vehicle.

OP
OP
Allentown

Allentown

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Allen
Vehicle(s)
Give Champion Ford a call about this too. I found them to be a bit cheaper than even Flood Ford.

They never asked anything about my mods, and I have quite a few suspension things done and the PP2. Got my ESP on the spot for half of what Ford online quoted me and $150 cheaper than Flood.
Will do. It never ceases to amaze me that every FB guy got his premium PP1 almost new for $24,000, every CAI guy got 40hp from his intake, and every "local guy" such a great deal at their local dealer on service and parts. It is always a "wtf" when i see that stuff. My local dealers mark up their Bullets by $7,500, their GT350s by $10,00, their GT350Rs by $20,000, their raptors by $10,000 and their 50th Anniv by $10,000 and i never see prices below MSRP official advertised any where except on true value which i could never find a dealer who would honor even when driving down to Atlanta.... go figure.

It's not odd at all. They see someone who's going to abuse the vehicle.
I don't know if that is a safe assumption. A GT350 has better brakes and suspension, is driving it the way it was intended "abuse"? A PP2 has harder springs, magnaride and freaking sport cup 2s, is driving it a bit harder "abuse"? A PP1 can be optioned with magnaride and comes with beefed up components..does that automatically mean it is "abused"? There isn't much difference in a non-pp and a PP1, does a customer bringing their non PP car up to the same specs as a PP1 or PP2 or maybe even slightly better than those in some areas automatically mean abuse? I mean, they literally sell the warranties on the cars with gear that is VERY simililar to what i am swapping all day long. I don't follow your logic at all. The situation would lead to a logical conclusion that i am cost conscious and value a bit higher quality parts than OEM in some areas...you can draw no further conclusions from the situation from that. I am no more likely to abuse the car than some yahoo who can barely afford to buy a base GT and stomps his foot all the way to the floor every time he drives it and does burn outs at cars and coffee......and no less likely to "abuse a car" than someone who owns a PP2 or a GT350 but got their warranty no fuss no muss. You can draw no conclusions about the level of use of a car will see just because an owner prefers to build a base than you can a guy who bought the track gear up front. I may track the car some yes, i want to beef it yes. I am also the kind of guy who keeps 5 layers of wax on the front of his car, parks it 200 yards away from the entrance to stores to avoid door dings, keeps the car garaged year around and will drive his truck if it is even raining, only drives about 8,000 miles a year and refuses to leave it at airports and hotels over night, and the type of guy who keeps everything working in new condition and always does routine maintenance early, rather than later. Do keep in mind that this isn't the Honda Accord forum. Some hooligans with any mustang GT is a given.,..remove that and you remove the entire reason this car exists in the first place.

fiveoboy01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 LB GT 400A
It's a very safe assumption. Warranties are taking on risk, akin to insurance. Just like an insurance company will proactively deny you coverage based on certain criteria, warranty coverage can also be denied. They don't care how you care for the car, or what you say you will or won't do with it.

Sponsored

RugbyRef

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
In the interest of full disclosure i informed her that the suspension and brake portions of the warranty would not be applicable to me as i would have to deal with Steeda etc. and/or fix on my own dime for those areas. (Which i 100% understand and don't mind by the way). She was a bit weirded out but went completely out of interest when i inquired if the Ford ESP interacted in anyway with Ford Performance parts). They don't, they are two completely separate entities and you might as well be dealing with two completely different companies which i don't agree with but understand completely. It was at around this point that i think the sales rep decided I did not qualify for the coverage. I let her know that i had in no way modified the drive train and may very well not but i wanted all the info either way before making any decisions. She had pretty much disqualified me at that point not based on what i had even done to the car, but just due to the questions i had asked. So i suppose ESP customers aren't even allowed to inquire about what may or may not be covered without being disqualifed??
Allen - thanks for posting the info, but was there another post previous to this one? Who is "she"? The warranty agent perhaps?

OP
OP
Allentown

Allentown

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Allen
Vehicle(s)
They don't care how you care for the car, or what you say you will or won't do with it.
Then it is not a "safe" assumption, or even one based in facts. A heavily invested car lover who buys performance parts is probably MORE likely to care for their car than an idiot who didn't mod his car but also doesn't do oil changes appropriately. This means that their assumptions are also not even based in logic and reality.

I work in health care so i can comment further. There is zero increaed risk (for example) for CKD in a patient with CONTROLLED htn where a patient with uncontrolled HTN and is non compliant with medications has an extremely elevated risk. The two are very different situations and require an educated differential diagnosis with regard to risk.

What you are referring to is akin to putting all hypertensive patients in the same risk bucket which is frankly...moronic. (Even the greedy commercial insurance companies don't do something so stupid as they have tables and risk stratification levels for such things..and they are GREEDY). Certainly they would not purposefully be morons but i suppose Ford ESP direct has no such qualms with respect to judgements on their acumen.

I would wager the total percentage of mustangs driven hard is much higher than the percentage of the total population even with hypertension. So accounting for an unavoidable factors (htn and sporty driving)...the difference in outcomes ABSOLUTELY is determined by the owner or patient's personal accountability and management of both and NOT within the existence of the underlying circumstance.

Allen - thanks for posting the info, but was there another post previous to this one? Who is "she"? The warranty agent perhaps?
Yea, sorry. I was referring to the sales rep with the gender pronoun. I know that isn't allowed these days. :) No other posts. This will be my only thread about it.

Last edited:

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
So it it is actually $900 cheaper yet again through Ford Flood (about $200 cheaper than Ziegler).

That is for 100,000 8 years. (I typically only drive 7 to 9k per year).

So in total this would have been:
Dealer Purchaed: $3,400
Ford ESP Direct: $2,400
Flood Ford: $1,180

That is the premium that covers car rental, lost keys and bumper to bumper but with a $200 deductible. I was looking to avoid big ticket costs not cheap repairs. I don't know for that cost seems like a no brainer really even with my suspension and brakes being non covered. Steeda does a life time warranty on their stuff anyway so no worries there.
Yes, Flood Ford has been known (for years) to have the best pricing on the same Ford warranties that are offered by other Dealers across the US. I imagine they get better pricing due to the fact that are possible a high volume dealer in both vehicle sales and the warranty sales.

You can’t go wrong with them.

I personally have an extended warranty on my 2018 (through my Credit Union) that goes out to 120k and is accepted by Ford at any Ford Dealership. So if you belong to a Credit Union, you might want to inquire to see what their offers are, if they offer such auto warranties. IIRC, the cost for my Extended Warranty was $1100.

When you really think about it - with ANY extended warranty package regardless of what company offers it, a new vehicle is already covered very well:
3/36 - bumper to bumper
5/60 - drivetrain/emissions

So if buying any extended warranty, it’s only going to pick up AFTER the factory warranties expire. The best bang for the buck is getting an Extended Warranty that offers at least 100k coverage (120k and 150k seem to be the common current offerings) Buying any extended warranty less than 100k coverage is really a waste if one were to figure the remaining mileage coverage AFTER the 3/36 and 5/60 is done.

Good luck getting an extended warranty secured.

OP
OP
Allentown

Allentown

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Allen
Vehicle(s)
I feel the same way at the dealer costs and i never buy them on appliances etc. Thing is with these, if you do sell early you get a check for the remaining balance which can be substantial. At the cheaper price of barely what a new set of brakes cost to get the power train covered for 8 years it doesn't seem so bad a deal.

The problem would be if they refused to honor. The second problem will be not being able to add a tune or CAI or headers but then again, the 18 A10 is plenty fast stock and with my suspension mods and light weight wheels, 240 tread tires, light weight rotors etc it will be a bit faster than stock any way. I am also now planing the Steeda light weight two piece rear rotors just to shave another 4lbs off of each rear wheel. (I have been focusing a lot on mods that leave the power train intact but still add speed and have found quite a few).

The track advice i have seen has all said the same thing anyway... suspension, brakes, tires, weight reduction, seat time..dont even worry about adding power so I think i can live with the compromise for the 2 to 4 events per year i plan to do casually.

Sponsored

Deleted member 35786

Extended warranty plans are some of the biggest con jobs ever. Will never do it again in the future.
^^Agree 100%.. Interesting quote from consumer reports regarding extended warranties.
"Extended warranties are a really horrible set of mathematics, and the reason people sell them is because they make a bundle on them in commissions,” says Dave Ramsey, a personal finance expert and radio-show host who has been outspoken on the subject. “On average, you’ll pay about $1,500 on an extended warranty, and the average repair is $180. I don’t recommend buying extended warranties, ever. If you can’t afford a $200 repair on a car, then you can’t afford the car.”

https://www.consumerreports.org/car-repair/get-an-extended-warranty-for-your-car/

Put the money in a savings account or invest it. So if you never need it you will have money for your next purchase or an emergency fund. If your worried about reliability in the long term then get a Honda/Toyota.

Bluemustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Base GT
^^Agree 100%.. Interesting quote from consumer reports regarding extended warranties.
"Extended warranties are a really horrible set of mathematics, and the reason people sell them is because they make a bundle on them in commissions,” says Dave Ramsey, a personal finance expert and radio-show host who has been outspoken on the subject. “On average, you’ll pay about $1,500 on an extended warranty, and the average repair is $180. I don’t recommend buying extended warranties, ever. If you can’t afford a $200 repair on a car, then you can’t afford the car.”

https://www.consumerreports.org/car-repair/get-an-extended-warranty-for-your-car/

Put the money in a savings account or invest it. So if you never need you will have money for your next purchase or an emergency fund. If your worried about reliability in the long term then get a Honda/Toyota.
Boom. Well said dude.

OP
OP
Allentown

Allentown

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Allen
Vehicle(s)

Put the money in a savings account or invest it. So if you never need it you will have money for your next purchase or an emergency fund. If your worried about reliability in the long term then get a Honda/Toyota.
I can afford a $200 repair. I can't afford a grenaded engine from piston slap or a replacement on a year 1 A10. ...

Well actually i probably could afford those items, but i wouldn't want to within a 5 year period of paying the car off. If i ever do it it should be building it to take boost, not replacing an engine with less than 100,000 (and likely less than 70,000) miles on it. Having that hanging over my head will almost absolutely zap the fun factor out of spirited driving. Not knowing the long term reliability of the FI condor was a bit of a buzz kill for me some times also. I don't need it to last 10 or 15 years, but i absolutely want it to last 8 or 9. Honestly i may trade it for a used GT 500 after 4 or 5 years anyway, but i would like some continuing coverage if i decide to keep it instead.

Bluemustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Base GT
I feel the same way at the dealer costs and i never buy them on appliances etc. Thing is with these, if you do sell early you get a check for the remaining balance which can be substantial. At the cheaper price of barely what a new set of brakes cost to get the power train covered for 8 years it doesn't seem so bad a deal.

The problem would be if they refused to honor. The second problem will be not being able to add a tune or CAI or headers but then again, the 18 A10 is plenty fast stock and with my suspension mods and light weight wheels, 240 tread tires, light weight rotors etc it will be a bit faster than stock any way. I am also now planing the Steeda light weight two piece rear rotors just to shave another 4lbs off of each rear wheel. (I have been focusing a lot on mods that leave the power train intact but still add speed and have found quite a few).

The track advice i have seen has all said the same thing anyway... suspension, brakes, tires, weight reduction, seat time..dont even worry about adding power so I think i can live with the compromise for the 2 to 4 events per year i plan to do casually.
Yeah. Honestly if you want my opinion - your car is badass. Forget the ESP. Drive the car, do your mods (if you wish) and don't say anything to Ford about it. But I mean your car is plenty fast as it is. Just my 2 cents.

wanted33

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Convertible, 2006 GT Coupe

I have bought from Flood, and is was much cheaper than my dealer for the wife's '13 GT. But, for her '18 GT Champion Ford was quite a bit cheaper than Flood. Both transactions were very easily done online. I'm fairly sure even the discounts guys change their prices from time to time, and I hit Champion at just the right time. As the engine, and drive train in new cars have become very reliable, I buy an extended warranty more for the electronics these days. That stuff ain't cheap.
Sponsored