Sponsored

Ford... What is your problem? GT500 owners, you need to read these quality control issues...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Atlas1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Audi S6, 2021 Mach 1 'M1985'
Any collector car that was big dollars back in the day is now authenticated by those very imperfections. It can mean a difference of 500% end price or whether a sale is made at all.
And all this time I thought things like vin numbers and build sheets were used to authenticate collector cars šŸ¤Ŗ

while not a gt500, I just paid a pretty decent amount for a mustang and one of the first things my wife asked about when it was parked next to my Audi was why are the gaps so much bigger between panels compared to the German car? And why are they different all the way around the car unlike the Audi?
sorry that shouldnt be a question on a car that msrpā€™s for almost $65k let alone a Shelby gt500 and itā€™s price point. Next time Iā€™ll try to remember to tell her honey thatā€™s what makes it worth more down the road lol
You are correct in that anyone in the future will definitely be able to authenticate it as American made and not German thatā€™s for sure!
Sponsored

yosv0610

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Yosvaldy
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Shelby GT350R
And all this time I thought things like vin numbers and build sheets were used to authenticate collector cars šŸ¤Ŗ

while not a gt500, I just paid a pretty decent amount for a mustang and one of the first things my wife asked about when it was parked next to my Audi was why are the gaps so much bigger between panels compared to the German car? And why are they different all the way around the car unlike the Audi?
sorry that shouldnt be a question on a car that msrpā€™s for almost $65k let alone a Shelby gt500 and itā€™s price point. Next time Iā€™ll try to remember to tell her honey thatā€™s what makes it worth more down the road lol
You are correct in that anyone in the future will definitely be able to authenticate it as American made and not German thatā€™s for sure!
Damn! I didnā€™t think about itā€¦ šŸ¤£šŸ¤£
Yes, thatā€™s the point, you are paying a lot for a Pandoraā€™s boxā€¦ I will expect a call next time from the salesman saying: Hey mr FernĆ”ndez, Surprise surprise, your car have arrived and guess what? Ford forgot the right fender, but itā€™s okay, engine runs strong! šŸ¤£šŸ¤£šŸ¤£

ICU812

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Tempo, Ford Mustang,FFR,Crown vic.
They don't care. Those same people sent my car to sit on a lot with no orders to ship it. Had I not reached out to a very special person on this forum, who knows what would have happened. Did you know that my car spend a cumulative time of over 2 months sitting outside because people don't care?
Did you know that my car was rejected by Ford upon return from Penske?
This is a long, long story of people not caring. This kind of car deserves more respect than the crap we are seeing here.
Sorry to say, But those bolting together the base 26k cars are also bolting together a shelby.
The fit and finish of a 26k car TODAY you can't expect to be perfect, no matter if the oem bolted another 75k worth of performance parts to it. The "body in white" will have the same fitment issues no matter if it has a build sheet of a shelby or a base E/B.
There is a reason these cars are 95-97k and not 150-200k .
They crammed big hp into a cheap platform for bank for the buck.
You are expecting Rolls Royce perfection, on a lada budget.

fastergt350

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1 HP, 2022 Ranger Lariat Tremor
My input, I had a 2020 GT500, saved and waited a long time to get it. The disappointment of all the issues, problems, secret factory fixes crushed my soul. My expectations and what I actually received no where near matched. I kept hearing war stories about all the problems that people on this forum were having and wondered, what's next. I decided to cut my losses, traded the 500 back to the dealer and ordered a Mach 1 HP. The trade paid for the Mach 1, this time when I received this vehicle it was exactly what I wanted, fit, form and function were outstanding. This was properly assembled, so it can be done. I work in QC so I know what I am talking about. This car is my happy place.

DSCF0258.JPG

DSCF0267.JPG

kcobra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT500, Base w/tech, black roof, vinyl stripes
Itā€˜s not just Mustangs. The quality problem exists throughout the Ford product line. The fit and finish on my 81k Super Duty is atrocious. It looks like a blind monkey did the taping where the color transitions from white to brown on my King Ranch. Thereā€™s a large divot in the paint on the roof where they fill a body seam, and my truck had several interior trim pieces with large defects from the factory. You couldnā€™t imagine the fight I got from Ford on getting those trim pieces replaced. The tires were grossly out of balance. It wasnā€™t from sitting on the lot either. My truck was manufactured just a couple weeks before I picked it up. Finally, the body gaps are horrible. Odd thing is my wifeā€™s Raptor is a LOT better than my Super Duty, so at least the F150 plant must have a few good employees.

And now my dumb a** is buying a GT500. Guess Iā€™m a slow learner. Lol

Ford really needs to do better, though.

F9AB0395-96EC-44C7-B7E1-25859F600CAB.jpeg

15EC2CE8-16FE-420B-83CC-8A857C5CF260.jpeg

AAA0E354-B842-41DE-AFC9-374E5487D379.jpeg
Dude, that is unbelievable also. Trust me, mine is way worse.
Another thing I find funny. I paid $1000 for over the top stripes. I also paid $695 for a painted roof. Where the fuck is the roof piece I paid for? Would it have been too much to leave that in the trunk so if ever the stripes elsewhere get scratched or whatever, I could have had those pieces to replace them with? They also put silver wheel weights on black wheels? WTF? I could to on and on. Panel gaps, overspray, paint missing, dents. Ya. Good job FORD.
I even ordered a gurney flap since I didn't take the handling pack. It came in grey in color. They are supposed to be gloss black. They ordered another one and it came in painted gloss black as it should have been the 1st one I ordered.

Sponsored

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
I've got a $26K '17 VW in the fleet, on which the panel gaps and paint finish are near perfect, the best I've seen on a run of the mill vehicle off the dealer lot to date. The interior is of the same cut, and the doors shut solidly and there are no rattles whatsoever yet.

By comparison my Mustang looks like something somebody semi-skilled assembled and finished in their garage. It's aggravating. There's no excuse for it at base EcoBoost pricing, let alone further up the tier when other manufacturers crank out cheap economy cars that look like somebody actually gave a shit. This stuff is giving me real reservations about ordering a GT500 next fall -- five years in I'm still pissed about the quality of my ~$40K unit, how am I going to feel about one at over double that amount? That Cayman GTS 4.0 looks better all the time.

My new F-150 isn't much better than my Mustang (warped dash, anyone?), frankly, but it's a truck and I use it as such so it bothers me slightly less. But it still does considering what it cost. Ford needs to step it up, big time.
I'll reiterate...

I changed oil on the VW in question last weekend, along with a few other maintenance tasks plus the cursory once-over and cleaning that I always do with an oil change. I don't drive this vehicle much or really pay much attention to it, but it still impresses in terms of paint quality and panel fit.

My Mustang and F150 are laughably sub-par compared to it, and cost a hell of a lot more. Again, no excuse for it.

ICU812

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Tempo, Ford Mustang,FFR,Crown vic.
I don't know, maybe Ford expects Super duties to be used as work trucks, and not mall crawlers .
I agree it is a hard pill to swallow with the prices of vehicles today. 81k for a light duty truck is nuts.
I will take panel fitment being off over having major drivetrain and powertrain issues everytime.

Chhris

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2017 Grabber Blue Mustang
Hold on a minute... I said if "memory serves me correct, you are a professional commercial pilot"..................... don't trust my memory...!!!!

Tom may actually be a Burger King Drive-Thru Attendant. But keep in mind, he still gives his best!
Don't trust my memory!

My neighbor retired from Delta as a Captain and he once had someone complain about how much the pilots were paid now that we have auto-pilot controls. His response was something along the lines of: You don't want to require the pilot to utilize the trained skills to save all of the people on board from death because something went wrong, and human intervention was needed to save lives.
They train for saving the aircraft and its occupants from disaster when malfunctions occur.
Well... now he is a pilot! :giggle:

Who said I'm a pilot?
You got a GT500, you already fly with that thing :crazy:

jlwdvm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 350R, '13 Boss 302, '15 Z/28, '69 TA
I made it through the 1st 6 pages of this thread. I had a '16 GT350 and currently have a 2017 350R and am happy with build quality on both. As a prospective buyer that has a 2022 CFTP allocation lined up (at MSRP), have the build quality issues been address by Ford in the later 2020 and 2021 builds?

yosv0610

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Yosvaldy
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Shelby GT350R
I made it through the 1st 6 pages of this thread. I had a '16 GT350 and currently have a 2017 350R and am happy with build quality on both. As a prospective buyer that has a 2022 CFTP allocation lined up (at MSRP), have the build quality issues been address by Ford in the later 2020 and 2021 builds?
Nopeā€¦ take a bright light and a magnification glass with you when you go at the dealer to pick your 2022 CFP up, and good luck! šŸ¤žšŸ»

Sponsored

jlwdvm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 350R, '13 Boss 302, '15 Z/28, '69 TA
I'm also considering a 2023 Z06....or starting a build on an RCR GT40 replica after I get done with my 66 Fastback. When you build them yourself....you are your own quality control!

yosv0610

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Yosvaldy
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Shelby GT350R
I'm also considering a 2023 Z06....or starting a build on an RCR GT40 replica after I get done with my 66 Fastback. When you build them yourself....you are your own quality control!
I like the Z06 ideaā€¦ Should be interesting šŸ¤”

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels

Tonymustang302

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tony
Vehicle(s)
2017 Turbo GT, 2019 GT350 racecar, 2021 GT500
If theres one thing i learned from being a Ford mastertechā€¦ā€¦.never ever buy the first year of anything
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.