Sponsored

Ford... What is your problem? GT500 owners, you need to read these quality control issues...

Status
Not open for further replies.

fastergt350

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1 HP, 2022 Ranger Lariat Tremor
Ironically, Ford GT is not built in a Ford plant.
They used to build Shelby's at the Shelby American facility, never had problems like we are seeing now. Mass production=Lame Ass production.
Sponsored

stanglife

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
1993 Coyote Coupe
They used to build Shelby's at the Shelby American facility, never had problems like we are seeing now. Mass production=Lame Ass production.
It doesn't have to mean that. Most cars are mass produced.

I guess a lot of cars come up with different problems - it just seems like most cars have nailed down the fit and finish better than our beloved Mustang. It hurt me to buy another one because these issues SEEM so unneccesary...but my only other option that would give the driving experience would be a GT3...and I cant justify the $. It's an odd feeling to look at the car and be like...ewww what's that...at this price point. The driving experience is certainly there.

yosv0610

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Yosvaldy
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Shelby GT350R
Well, I only ask to my Shelby a lot of fun, that the engine never blow up, no oil consumption, or any mechanical issues. I can live with those alignment issues. It’s a super fun car, really fast, I love to see the people face when I stop in a traffic light. Alignment issues are fixable, and I will fix them, someday. Just look my snake and tell me what you see:

8E7EFF26-27FC-4481-AABD-DF730CF1B6C3.jpeg

yosv0610

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Yosvaldy
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Shelby GT350R
It doesn't have to mean that. Most cars are mass produced.

I guess a lot of cars come up with different problems - it just seems like most cars have nailed down the fit and finish better than our beloved Mustang. It hurt me to buy another one because these issues SEEM so unneccesary...but my only other option that would give the driving experience would be a GT3...and I cant justify the $. It's an odd feeling to look at the car and be like...ewww what's that...at this price point. The driving experience is certainly there.
Yeah, a GT3 I guess is an awesome car. For that amount of money I can buy a GT350R and a ZL1 1LE or Hellcat. Two cars, more fun. Life is too short, cars will cost a lot less than when you buy it. Just let’s enjoy them.

Sponsored

jwt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Mustang Bullitt
I have bought several Fords from new in Europe, the difference in quality of fit and finish between Europe and here is night and day. Ford can do it, they chose not to. My 2018 expedition had a tailgate so far out of alignment that pressure washes had water leaking, I'm talking over 1/4 an inch misalignment, coolant hoses not tightened, squeaky interior door cards on day of delivery, sunroof or sunroof visor rattles and noises day one.

New cars in Europe I examined just as carefully and found no issues. not one. nada, QA in Europe is way more stringent

Some serious conversations with dealer about not accepting the car. That's a new 90K CAD car and it was shocking. His ultimate comment when lamenting the difference between Europe and NA was the tolerances in NA were much loser, blame the unions and management who are afraid to apply tighter tolerances because they can't make the figures. f**king awesome I thought.

To be fair my Bullitt is pretty good, good paint finish, clutch to brake master cylinder hose possibly loose, headlight cracked at mounting point probably happened at assembly, fixed by dealer, no rattles but possibly wind noise issues in A pillar I am investigating with dealer. Suspect a missing foam block somewhere down near door hinge area.

But quite a difference in price between a Bullitt and the Halo cars, so you would assume the GT350 and 500 would be cherry picked off the line before assembly. Like the Ghias used to be.

The Chairman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘09 GT500KR & ‘16 GT350 Track Pack & ‘20 GT500 HP
Actually, ‘ole Shel used prison labor for some of their work in Las Vegas. Some good, some not so good.
- The shifter handle in my ‘09 GT500KR came off in my hand as the two bolts were only inserted loosely and never tightened. The added diff overflow can was left raw metal to rust.
- Some with the recent Terlingua cars were not pleased: The strut tower brace on the driver’s side was cut off with a hack saw and left raw (to make room for the SC); diff cooler was operated by a toggle switch on the radiator support (not in the cockpit); and other annoyances. A guy in our club dumped his after a just 6 months of ownership.
There is a well published issue with the kid with the SuperSnake where the Watts Link suspension hit the diff lines and cracked them as it wasn’t installed correctly.
They generally do good work. But they start with a factory vehicle and do mods...and those mods require close inspection to make sure they are right.

RPDBlueMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350 Heritage Edition, Civic Type R
I have bought several Fords from new in Europe, the difference in quality of fit and finish between Europe and here is night and day. Ford can do it, they chose not to. My 2018 expedition had a tailgate so far out of alignment that pressure washes had water leaking, I'm talking over 1/4 an inch misalignment, coolant hoses not tightened, squeaky interior door cards on day of delivery, sunroof or sunroof visor rattles and noises day one.

New cars in Europe I examined just as carefully and found no issues. not one. nada, QA in Europe is way more stringent

Some serious conversations with dealer about not accepting the car. That's a new 90K CAD car and it was shocking. His ultimate comment when lamenting the difference between Europe and NA was the tolerances in NA were much loser, blame the unions and management who are afraid to apply tighter tolerances because they can't make the figures. f**king awesome I thought.

To be fair my Bullitt is pretty good, good paint finish, clutch to brake master cylinder hose possibly loose, headlight cracked at mounting point probably happened at assembly, fixed by dealer, no rattles but possibly wind noise issues in A pillar I am investigating with dealer. Suspect a missing foam block somewhere down near door hinge area.

But quite a difference in price between a Bullitt and the Halo cars, so you would assume the GT350 and 500 would be cherry picked off the line before assembly. Like the Ghias used to be.
I feel like alot of that has to do with Ford being a well established brand here in the US vs Europe. They never have been able to secure a solid hold in Europe, so they probably up the QA in order to assure sales, whereas here in the US there are tons of people that brain washed and will walk into a Ford dealership a buy a F-150 without even thinking about it. So Ford doesn't have to try as hard in the US as Europe.

Also from my understanding the Mustangs back in the day like in 60s and 70s suffered from the same issues so I feel like Ford just accepts it and doesn't even think its a problem which is sad. Seems like they take the approach that Tom Howard from Bethesda says, "It just works" lol

yosv0610

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Yosvaldy
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Shelby GT350R
Then, why European factories work better than US factories? I don’t get it. Ford needs to change that. In the future, I will think many times before buy a GT500, and knowing it will be a risk... no! Why our experience need should be like this! Is there a way to complain to Ford? (Website, forum, or so)

OP
OP
Tomster

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
I think the root of the problem is the labor pool. I said it before, they just don't care. A friend worked at Flat Rock and he had commented the general attitude towards work ethic was lacking. Back in the day, my wife grew up in Detroit. Those line workers made excellent money for a non educated labor force. Yet still they would do substandard work and sometimes even sabotage vehicles. I mentioned to my wife that my 500 has a door rattle which was due to trim parts in the door trim being loose. She said "oh, the old door rattle, back in the day, workers used to put stuff in the door to make it rattle on purpose". I didn't believe it and did a search. I came up with this....

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/the-rattletrap/

Then there is this...

https://tundraheadquarters.com/chrysler-workers-sabotage-ram/

Yea, I know its not a first rate publication, but maybe there is something to it.

I am in no way saying this is the case here, but it makes you wonder.

Sponsored

The Chairman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘09 GT500KR & ‘16 GT350 Track Pack & ‘20 GT500 HP
True Story: Back in the ‘60’s & ‘70’s, my father worked at a Lincoln/Mercury dealership. They had a customer complaint on super-loaded Lincoln and that had a strange sound in the rear end. Each time the car turned, they heard a “rumble, rumble, thump”. Then when turning the opposite direction, it did the same thing.
They had a tech ride in the trunk and he thought it was coming from the gas tank. So they dropped the tank and found a bottle inside rolling around. Inside the bottle was a note that said: “Finally found me you rich SOB!”
Everyone had a good laugh (but the owner...).
He had a lot of other stories too from that timeframe...

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
I think the root of the problem is the labor pool. I said it before, they just don't care. A friend worked at Flat Rock and he had commented the general attitude towards work ethic was lacking. Back in the day, my wife grew up in Detroit. Those line workers made excellent money for a non educated labor force. Yet still they would do substandard work and sometimes even sabotage vehicles. I mentioned to my wife that my 500 has a door rattle which was due to trim parts in the door trim being loose. She said "oh, the old door rattle, back in the day, workers used to put stuff in the door to make it rattle on purpose". I didn't believe it and did a search. I came up with this....

Then there is this...

Yea, I know its not a first rate publication, but maybe there is something to it.

In the course of vintage restorations that I have been involved with, mine and others, I have personally seen paper coffee cups and small tools that were left inside doors and quarter panels by the line workers.....

Bangarang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Iconic Silver GT 500 (L0545), 2018 Ford Raptor, 2003 Honda Accord Coupe EX-V6 6-Speed
True Story: Back in the ‘60’s & ‘70’s, my father worked at a Lincoln/Mercury dealership. They had a customer complaint on super-loaded Lincoln and that had a strange sound in the rear end. Each time the car turned, they heard a “rumble, rumble, thump”. Then when turning the opposite direction, it did the same thing.
They had a tech ride in the trunk and he thought it was coming from the gas tank. So they dropped the tank and found a bottle inside rolling around. Inside the bottle was a note that said: “Finally found me you rich SOB!”
Now that’s what I would call some “American Ingenuity”

yosv0610

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Yosvaldy
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Shelby GT350R

Then there is this...

Are you serious? My trunk make a noise when I open it, sounds like an screw is inside. So, do I need to disassemble my whole GT350R?
Seriously, Ford need to do something, but I guess they don’t care at this point, they only care about to get the people money no matter how. Too bad, I’m really disappointed...

yosv0610

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Yosvaldy
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Shelby GT350R
I hate that kind of people. Why they are so stupid? Why the envy? That’s not fair. Also people go to dealerships and sit inside the cars to scratch screens, rubber and so. I’ve seen some Hellcats with some cosmetic issues intentionally made. Dealerships wash those cars and scratch all the paint. (They didn’t touch mine, no wash, no detailing, nothing :sunglasses:). Very disappointed. This is truly sad.
And to complete my day it's raining here in Miami, so I can't drive it and forget all these things that I've read. :angry:
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.