Sponsored

Ford... What is your problem? GT500 owners, you need to read these quality control issues...

Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
OP
Tomster

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
I can't really comment since I don't have GT500 money.
This is a concern of a person who spent that money, a lot of it..

I believe my concerns are legitimate. I am disappointed in the quality of this vehicle. Once I get all the issues squared away maybe I will be OK with the car. One thing is for certain, the cars should not be built and delivered that way.
Sponsored

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
This is a concern of a person who spent that money, a lot of it..

I believe my concerns are legitimate. I am disappointed in the quality of this vehicle. Once I get all the issues squared away maybe I will be OK with the car. One thing is for certain, the cars should not be built and delivered that way.
Your concerns are legitimate. And you're right, I don't know why I'm even remotely defending their crap. Little issues add up, even if none of them are particularly debilitating on their own. Covid isn't really an excuse, even if it may be the reason.

OP
OP
Tomster

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
Your concerns are legitimate. And you're right, I don't know why I'm even remotely defending their crap. Little issues add up, even if none of them are particularly debilitating on their own. Covid isn't really an excuse, even if it may be the reason.
We all are entitled to our opinions. I am staunchly standing behind my observations. I am not new to the S550 performance car platform. I know a good build from a bad one.

I will get the issues sorted out and go from there.

SeattleDude

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremiah
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT350
Detroit, you seem to have forgotten the late 70's when you crammed crap down people's throats.
Detroit is a ghost town. They moved everything to Mexico.

The GT500 engine block is cast in Windsor, Canada. The now defunct/disbanded Alpha Romeo line in Michigan is where your engine was assembled by a small group of Americans using parts sourced from foreign countries. The Tremec transmission is made in Mexico. Robots spot weld a bunch of stamped metal together in Michigan, robots paint it, and then another small group of Americans improperly assemble your car, misalignment bumpers, kinking hoses and missing important insulation covering. All in all, I estimate only about 20% of the labor involved in building a GT500 is American. Itā€™s like old Joe Biden used to say ā€” the US manufacturing market isnā€™t competitive because manufacturers can move across the border to Canada and automatically spend 15% less on labor due to free healthcare (new Joe Biden, BTW, says heā€™ll veto Medicare For All if it makes it to his desk as President).

Fordā€™s lust for money and inept corporate management have led to some of the lowest quality cars since the days of the Probe. Remember that gem? Ford nearly called it the fourth generation Mustang. Sound familiar? Mustang Mach-E, anyone?

Sorry to hear about your bad luck. Hope they make it right for you.

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like to disassemble things.
The Tremec DCT transmissions used in both the C8 Corvette and the '20 GT500 are manufactured at their Wixom, Michigan facility.

Sponsored

cocopanda

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
J
Vehicle(s)
2019 Premium GT Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Man, it is what it is. You of all people know I'm not trolling but reporting. I have been a ford guy all my life. Then this.... on the most expensive ford that you can buy (outside of a GT).

I get your sentiment, but I'm not buying it. I'm not here bashing, again reporting. The things here are fact. There is more. Do you suggest I not say anything and keep quiet?

Dude, I'm pissed off. There is no excuse for this lack of quality. Maybe tomorrow I will update the list with the other things I have found.

Edited to add:
I dont think I ever called the car a POS, however I may have referenced the guy who assembled my car using those words.
The main thing for me? Is Covid. Not all are really there atm. I see it with my work and I see it in tons of other spaces. I would suggest on the first year plus the covid impact. I'd be wary of any manufacturing of products. Just is all suspect till this is over.

cocopanda

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
J
Vehicle(s)
2019 Premium GT Coupe
Vehicle Showcase

The GT500 engine block is cast in Windsor, Canada. The now defunct/disbanded Alpha Romeo line in Michigan is where your engine was assembled by a small group of Americans using parts sourced from foreign countries. The Tremec transmission is made in Mexico. Robots spot weld a bunch of stamped metal together in Michigan, robots paint it, and then another small group of Americans improperly assemble your car, misalignment bumpers, kinking hoses and missing important insulation covering. All in all, I estimate only about 20% of the labor involved in building a GT500 is American. Itā€™s like old Joe Biden used to say ā€” the US manufacturing market isnā€™t competitive because manufacturers can move across the border to Canada and automatically spend 15% less on labor due to free healthcare (new Joe Biden, BTW, says heā€™ll veto Medicare For All if it makes it to his desk as President).

Fordā€™s lust for money and inept corporate management have led to some of the lowest quality cars since the days of the Probe. Remember that gem? Ford nearly called it the fourth generation Mustang. Sound familiar? Mustang Mach-E, anyone?

I mean, when you get over being an American. And think like an earthling. That stuff won't matter soon. Especially after we start mining off planet for our materials.

RPDBlueMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350 Heritage Edition, Civic Type R

What is worse is that Ford was bailed out by the US government because they made shitty cars and sadly they haven't learned their lesson. You would think that Ford would smarten up. They still owe money

Frustrating that our tax money supports a US Corporation, and the US Corporation doesn't provide the US with jobs. Honestly if it wasn't for the history and prestige of realtionship with Ford and Carrol Shelby I think alot of us wouldn't even be here. I always told myself that the only car I'd ever get from Ford would be a Shelby GT350 or GT500.

IceAge

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
GG
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT 500, 2022 GT500, 2020 GT Mustang, Raptor,
What is worse is that Ford was bailed out by the US government because they made shitty cars and sadly they haven't learned their lesson. You would think that Ford would smarten up. They still owe money

Frustrating that our tax money supports a US Corporation, and the US Corporation doesn't provide the US with jobs. Honestly if it wasn't for the history and prestige of realtionship with Ford and Carrol Shelby I think alot of us wouldn't even be here. I always told myself that the only car I'd ever get from Ford would be a Shelby GT350 or GT500.
Hmm can you share a link on Ford borrowing money from the government? GM and Dodge did but the last bust in 2009 Ford to my knowledge sold off a lot of real estate to avoid borrowing any government money. I could be wrong and thatā€™s fine but never knew they took government money in recent times.

Warpath

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford GT500, 2021 Jeep Trackhawk
Hmm can you share a link on Ford borrowing money from the government? GM and Dodge did but the last bust in 2009 Ford to my knowledge sold off a lot of real estate to avoid borrowing any government money. I could be wrong and thatā€™s fine but never knew they took government money in recent times.
In 2009 they took a 5.9 billion dollar loan to retool factories.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.fo...-loan-before-moving-small-cars-to-mexico/amp/

Excerpt:

Ford likes to say it ā€œdidnā€™t take the moneyā€ because unlike General Motors and Chrysler, it didnā€™t require a taxpayer bailout to survive the 2008-2009 credit crisis. But donā€™t forget: Ford tapped into a different pool of government money set aside for the auto industry during those desperate times. (And those low-cost funds were critical to Fordā€™s survival because no other funding sources were available.)

Last edited:

Sponsored

IceAge

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
GG
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT 500, 2022 GT500, 2020 GT Mustang, Raptor,

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.fo...-loan-before-moving-small-cars-to-mexico/amp/

Excerpt:

Ford likes to say it ā€œdidnā€™t take the moneyā€ because unlike General Motors and Chrysler, it didnā€™t require a taxpayer bailout to survive the 2008-2009 credit crisis. But donā€™t forget: Ford tapped into a different pool of government money set aside for the auto industry during those desperate times. (And those low-cost funds were critical to Fordā€™s survival because no other funding sources were available.)
Great info thanks for sharing.

Cgouzoulis

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
chris
Vehicle(s)
None

Excerpt:

This is correct. However it should be mentioned this ATVM loan was done under pressure (financial) from the federal government to start producing more efficient vehicles like hybrids and ULEVs. It wasn't to stop their company from drowning, more like it was to avoid the "fees" associated with lower MPG and advance technology to improve their hybrid technology and create the whole ECOboost platform.
Edit to add: so from what I understood the money they did take wasn't due to making terrible decisions as did GM and Chrysler, but to keep up with the super ramped up demands the GOV at that time were implementing.

martinjlm

Retired from GM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible

In a sense this is splitting hairs. I wouldnā€™t expect most people who read this post to realize that Windsor, where Fordā€™s Windsor and Essex engine plants are located, are literally across the river from Detroit. And that Flat Rock is about a 20 minute drive from Ford World HQ. The Windsor plant in particular has been building engines for Ford vehicles since before the first influx of Japanese and European vehicles or the large-scale industry move to Mexico. Remember the Mustang 351 Windsor of the ā€˜70s? Guess where that came from?

And, as someone has already pointed out, even though Tremec is headquartered in Mexico, the DCT is built in a plant in suburban Detroit.

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like to disassemble things.
Technically speaking, the 351W was a child of the late sixties. Started off strong and was continually choked thereafter. Fox owners begged for over a decade for it to be used and when Ford finally came around it was the 1995 Cobra R (that got a whopping 250 of them) and then it was over. While there were parts cast and assembled in Windsor for the 351 there were also heads used on it that were cast in Cleveland, where the bulk of 302 engines were coming from (yes, there were 302 Mexican blocks cast too from I think '69-'75). And I'm not talking about Boss, M, or Cleveland hardware. Just the lowly 351W, largest displacement in the Windsor family.

Sorry, lifelong Windsor owner and enthusiast. The last one I built from the ground up for a Fox project...

IMG_5874-X3.jpg

Last edited:

BigBeed

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Premium 401a PP2
Wow sorry to hear abut all these issues. At the end of the day sure its a mustang, but it is the halo model and these types of issues shouldn't be happening.

That being said, $700 for hood pins? They are units made by Quik Latch and can be bought from them for $135-$300. They have 2 different sizes and I'm not sure which ones fit the GT500. Unless Ford paid them to make a special size just for them.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.