Sponsored

Ford... What is your problem? GT500 owners, you need to read these quality control issues...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like to disassemble things.
Did the same as the Chairman. Went through the entire car, starting at one end to the other bottom to top. Had the exhaust system off twice, rear bellypan, did springs/plates, removed front bellypan, much of the engine dress, STB, disassembled the brakes, pulled the rear seats, etc. Along the way I was able to clean, reroute strained wiring harnesses, lubricate and better protect certain items from open elements and heat. I don't expect line workers to get that detailed but do expect them to do their job ensuring hoses aren't pinched, etc.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Tomster

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
I don't expect line workers to get that detailed but do expect them to do their job ensuring hoses aren't pinched, etc.
exactly.

Dave2013M3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Mustang GT Base PP1 6MT Rapid Red
There is no excuse for this for the amount of money being spent on these cars. Thats why at $100K I would take my money elsewhere. This would be a halo car for me, I am not made of money and to spend that kind of money for this kind of craftsmanship is ludicrous. My heart goes out to those that are having these issues.

I have a lowly GT, this is my first new Mustang since 1998. For the last 20 years I have been buying PCars and BMWs. I never had any issues like this with these cars. Hope it all works out.

The Chairman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘09 GT500KR & ‘16 GT350 Track Pack & ‘20 GT500 HP
Did the same as the Chairman. Went through the entire car, starting at one end to the other bottom to top. Had the exhaust system off twice, rear bellypan, did springs/plates, removed front bellypan, much of the engine dress, STB, disassembled the brakes, pulled the rear seats, etc. Along the way I was able to clean, reroute strained wiring harnesses, lubricate and better protect certain items from open elements and heat. I don't expect line workers to get that detailed but do expect them to do their job ensuring hoses aren't pinched, etc.
Since I knew I was going to track the car, my efforts were generally for safety and handling. Wanted to make sure everything was going to work at 160. But I was impressed with the fit & finish.

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like to disassemble things.
Mine held up to 155 so I can't complain there. Fit and finish, about what I expect for an assembly line Mustang.

Sponsored

AngelDeath

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
'20 Shelby GT500 Rapid Red / '01 Metallic Red C5 / '17 White Overland
Made my appointment with my service guy about the exposed wires for the oil sensor and showed him the pic. Thanks again @Tomster

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
That is incorrect. It is right up against the radiator assembly. Furthermore the harness was put under strain to get it to go that way. I was an electrician many years ago. You don't bend and twist a wire any more than you have to. The correct routing would have exposed the harness to less heat and put under less duress. That harness is twisted up pretty good.

So gee, gosh golly shucks, I guess I'm just bashing on Ford for no good reason, huh?
Am I missing something? In the correct routing it still looks like it goes right by the radiator end tank. I agree with the strain aspect and that it shouldn't be something you have to look for in a 100k car, but I'm just saying I think you'll have quite a while to catch it.

guess ford wins with the brainwashing. Through allowing this assembly/process flaw to Continue, they’ve convinced you that poor panel gaps are just the way it is. Some cars are very good and some are not. How does this not fall back onto Ford? Fenders aren’t some naturally occurring resource that Mother Nature provides as-is.
What brainwashing? I'm saying that Ford has demonstrated they are never going to address the gap variation/issues on the Mustang line unless you hassle them to do so after the fact. So why are people still getting mad about it? Its been going for more than 5 years now, its not exactly a secret. Should some secondary QC be going on with the most premium and expensive model? Absolutely. But visual issues aren't the end of the world. The other stuff is pretty bad though. It's almost like lack of training on the different aspects of the 500.

stanglife

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
1993 Coyote Coupe
Am I missing something? In the correct routing it still looks like it goes right by the radiator end tank. I agree with the strain aspect and that it shouldn't be something you have to look for in a 100k car, but I'm just saying I think you'll have quite a while to catch it.

What brainwashing? I'm saying that Ford has demonstrated they are never going to address the gap variation/issues on the Mustang line unless you hassle them to do so after the fact. So why are people still getting mad about it? Its been going for more than 5 years now, its not exactly a secret. Should some secondary QC be going on with the most premium and expensive model? Absolutely. But visual issues aren't the end of the world. The other stuff is pretty bad though. It's almost like lack of training on the different aspects of the 500.
Brainwashing as in - you've lowered your expectations...which I guess if it makes you happy... You also mentioned it was just the design of the car but I don't really agree as much as I say it's the entire system. How are some cars much better than others?

mustangpegasus51

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ed
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT PP1
I think the key takeaway here is that you can like a product but still be disappointed by the company that produces it.

As others have said, poor QC is in many ways a disrespect to the engineers and designers. They work hard to make something fun, fast, and cool only for people to trash it online because of knucklehead moves on the administrative side of the company.

If the Mustang wasn't an awesome car we wouldn't be here. But the hard truth is that Ford needs to step its game up or it will continue to lose customers.

AngelDeath

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
'20 Shelby GT500 Rapid Red / '01 Metallic Red C5 / '17 White Overland
I dont believe these issues are 1st run production issues or even covid issues, as its the same go around every year. Looking at Toms harness being jammed in between the intake and the intake being squeezed bent isnt a 1st production run issue as I am sure this pretty much falls into the gt350/R as well which isnt a 1st run. A lot I think is the conveyors pushing out cars as fast as they can and the attention to basic detail is out the window because it will slow down the quantity of how many cars can be produced. And once its produced do you honestly thing they are looking at the oil pressure sensor to see if its shielded correctly from the heat? Thats a Joke.

Just as an example when I bought my '16 Cali Special technically its a 2nd year run, so the "kinks" should be worked out you would think, nope, body panels werent aligned, decklit was off so if you dried your car with a microfiber it would catch and break the plastic cover, Paint defects which bubbled up a few months after I took delivery, wiring routed wrong, and the list goes on. Do you know how many times in 3 years my car was at the dealership? More than it should have been. So I do get the frustration for a 90K+ car and the expectation that minor things MIGHT be off, but the expected things like brakes, bracket, harnesses, CAI, wires being properly shielded, these are no brainers, because if they dont break in the first 3 years and break right after and you didnt catch it guess who gets blamed as its your fault, when it it was done right the first time it wouldn't have broken.

Thats why I am glad for these forums and collectively we all catch things and post them, however insignificant or serious it might be. Ford isnt looking out for us, so as a collective group of enthusiasts we look out for each other.

Sponsored

mustangpegasus51

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ed
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT PP1
When people are surprised I still want another Mustang after all the BS we deal with I tell them the community is really there.

Like for me in SoCal if I have the cash I can bring it to a number of non-dealership enthusiast shops that can make my car right if not better than how it came.

Speaking of which, that might be a good plan for OP. As far as I recall that's what most of the high-end buyers (GT350 and above) do to get their check ups outside of catastrophic failures.

Concrete GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Ruby Red Vert
It sucks to hear this especially when they only had to make so few units. I will say I'm not completely shocked though. I love the car and have wanted one badly since it was unveiled but with all the uncertainty going on right now I think I'll just mod my 09 and perhaps Whipple the Vert....One good thing about waiting and buying a used Shelby is the first owner usually fixes everything the factory f vcks up....:crackup:
Hate that this happened to a guy who has waited so long and carry's the brands flag and loyalty. Hopefully everything works out and Tom gets to tear up some good laps.

RPDBlueMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350 Heritage Edition, Civic Type R
The major downside of the P-car is the expense, and the fact that the closest service is two hours away for me. But that build quality....

Early car quality woes are the #1 reason I want to wait for a '22 GT500, #2 being ADMs, #3 the DCT is somewhat of an unknown quantity yet.
Porsche is great but $$$$$ Yeah build quality is good and the cars are great but its a a lot of money you have to set aside for it, and pay for it too

Waiting till '22 is a great idea :thumbsup: by then most of the issues will be well known (hopefully solved), ADMs will be gone and you'll know a little about how the DCT holds up. Do you know how long the life cycle will be? I heard people said that for the GT350 Ford originally planed 3 years, but I dont recall seeing anything about the life cycle for the GT500.

I considered getting a GT500 but the allure of the Heritage Edition was too much for me. But I definitely would have passed up on it though if I had to deal with ADM like how others have. I would be waiting like you if I couldn't get my 350 @ MSRP. I think ADMs are a complete joke and scummy, especially when it comes to cars from Ford. For 100k I'd rather get a '71 Cuda.

Warpath

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford GT500, 2021 Jeep Trackhawk
Porsche is great but $$$$$ Yeah build quality is good and the cars are great but its a a lot of money you have to set aside for it, and pay for it too

Waiting till '22 is a great idea :thumbsup: by then most of the issues will be well known (hopefully solved), ADMs will be gone and you'll know a little about how the DCT holds up. Do you know how long the life cycle will be? I heard people said that for the GT350 Ford originally planed 3 years, but I dont recall seeing anything about the life cycle for the GT500.

I considered getting a GT500 but the allure of the Heritage Edition was too much for me. But I definitely would have passed up on it though if I had to deal with ADM like how others have. I would be waiting like you if I couldn't get my 350 @ MSRP. I think ADMs are a complete joke and scummy, especially when it comes to cars from Ford. For 100k I'd rather get a '71 Cuda.
The new mustang was pushed up to 22' model year was it not?

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
Brainwashing as in - you've lowered your expectations...which I guess if it makes you happy... You also mentioned it was just the design of the car but I don't really agree as much as I say it's the entire system. How are some cars much better than others?
The ridiculous amount of variance is exactly why I think its a design issue. If there was an easy fix, wouldn't Ford have fixed it by now? Sure, they can spend extra time per unit to get it right, but they've chosen not to so it is what it is.

As far as lowered expectations, I can't really comment since I don't have GT500 money. My job1 20 GT has been great, but its also priced a lot less. As I said earlier, im not defending Ford for easily rectified issues on a halo car. But I do think covid has played a large role.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.