Sponsored

Ford... What is your problem? GT500 owners, you need to read these quality control issues...

Status
Not open for further replies.

kilobravo

Threads
Reaction score
Website
kilobravo.com
First Name
KB
Vehicle(s)
'16 CT6, '18 SD, '20 GT 500
<Knocking on wood>

We've had a number of Ford vehicles and while I am certainly not a body panel expert, I've been happy with the products and my '20 was put together (AFAIK) as well as the '14.

But I agree with Ryan (@ice445), The Germ certainly played a roll with this MY '500 (and almost certainly all the other vehicles produced during that same time frame.)

And finally, I couldn't agree more with TOB on the DCT. That darn thing is magic and I salute both FP and Tremec for the Tremecndess accomplishment. :cool:

Last edited:
OP
OP
Tomster

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
It's not exposed to any more heat regardless of how it's routed.
That is incorrect. It is right up against the radiator assembly. Furthermore the harness was put under strain to get it to go that way. I was an electrician many years ago. You don't bend and twist a wire any more than you have to. The correct routing would have exposed the harness to less heat and put under less duress. That harness is twisted up pretty good.

So gee, gosh golly shucks, I guess I'm just bashing on Ford for no good reason, huh?

kilobravo

Threads
Reaction score
Website
kilobravo.com
First Name
KB
Vehicle(s)
'16 CT6, '18 SD, '20 GT 500
No Tom, I agree, this issue is well beyond a bad panel alignment and I don't look forward to finding it on mine, although I am certain that I will.

You more knowledgeable folks can correct my thinking but this one seems to be either a design issue or a penny pinching one..or both. And, from the sound of things, there isn't going to be much we can do about it.

stanglife

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
1993 Coyote Coupe
I think covid19 is the main issue here, given most GT500's have been built during it. Ford was having difficulty getting workers to show up at all, so I can see how QC has slipped. Morale is likely low as well. The panel gap thing is never gonna be fixed, so idk why people still get mad at that. It's clearly a design of the car thats at fault when there is so much allowed variability. Hopefully it gets fixed by the next generation..

As for the other stuff, don't mistake me for excusing it. However the harness thing to me isn't a big deal. It's not exposed to any more heat regardless of how it's routed.
guess ford wins with the brainwashing. Through allowing this assembly/process flaw to Continue, they’ve convinced you that poor panel gaps are just the way it is. Some cars are very good and some are not. How does this not fall back onto Ford? Fenders aren’t some naturally occurring resource that Mother Nature provides as-is.

Sponsored

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
Man, it is what it is. You of all people know I'm not trolling but reporting. I have been a ford guy all my life. Then this.... on the most expensive ford that you can buy (outside of a GT).

I get your sentiment, but I'm not buying it. I'm not here bashing, again reporting. The things here are fact. There is more. Do you suggest I not say anything and keep quiet?

Dude, I'm pissed off. There is no excuse for this lack of quality. Maybe tomorrow I will update the list with the other things I have found.
Please do, it would serve as a guide for other owners as far as things to look for. And be a cautionary reference for prospective buyers.

As I said, this thread or one like it should be a sticky....

5.Oh Crush

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ra
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
New 500 owners,

I recently got new wheels and the Dealer Tech noticed a broken CV boot by the rear tire. He said he has seen a few now. I have an appt. next week to get a full look over and order new parts.
Inspect the underneath and behind the wheels. I'll post pics and details soon.

-J

FatPat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT
Honestly, this is why I sold my Mustang GT. It's a great car, but the rattles, ticks, and poor fitment drove me nuts. I can't imagine paying for a premium car and getting a Fiesta quality build.

The Chairman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘09 GT500KR & ‘16 GT350 Track Pack & ‘20 GT500 HP
Sorry to hear all your issues Tom. As others have said, guessing these are mostly “COVID car” related issues.
Mine was built in early Dec and the only thing I have found so far is the coolant routing behind the supercharger. Fixed that one myself. Oh, and now, the camera issue apparently all Fords have.
Have tracked my car in 10 sessions now at COTA (plus Track Attack) and the car in mind-blowing. The DCT, engine, cooling and brakes are all amazing. So the “GT500 Parts” all work well together. But it’s still a Mustang body and production line.

Sponsored

ChuckXX

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chuck
Vehicle(s)
2020 SHELBY GT 500
I wholeheartedly disagree. I spent a boatload of money on this car to have issue after issue. Maybe your money grows on trees, but I value the dollar that I have and earn. If I had known this car would be slapped together with blatant disregard for quality, I would have never got involved.

Ford, if you are reading this, please contact me. Reimburse me for every penny I have in the car and its yours.

Its a standing offer.

Anyone considering this car.... think twice..... know what you are getting into
Tom my Great Friend; I've not been on the site over the last 3 or 4 weeks and just ventured over today to check it out again. I want to tell you that Iam truly VERY SORRY for all this PAIN & AGONY that you are going thru. Making them an offer to take it off your hands I felt I needed to chime in. Now I've only got 330 miles on my car and have had no problems. Do you think by now if I was going to have those types of problems they would have already shown up????? This whole post makes me shiver, get the willys, and makes me kinda "rethink" just how long I should keep my car. Here in Omaha we DO have the Nebraska Lemon Law that within one year if it just can't be fixed we can return the car to the dealership and get our money back. TOM, AGAIN IAM TRULY VERY SORRY FOR ALL THIS SHIT THAT YOU ARE GOING THRU. THIS STORY MAKES ME VERY SAD.

OP
OP
Tomster

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
Tom my Great Friend; I've not been on the site over the last 3 or 4 weeks and just ventured over today to check it out again. I want to tell you that Iam truly VERY SORRY for all this PAIN & AGONY that you are going thru. Making them an offer to take it off your hands I felt I needed to chime in. Now I've only got 330 miles on my car and have had no problems. Do you think by now if I was going to have those types of problems they would have already shown up????? This whole post makes me shiver, get the willys, and makes me kinda "rethink" just how long I should keep my car. Here in Omaha we DO have the Nebraska Lemon Law that within one year if it just can't be fixed we can return the car to the dealership and get our money back. TOM, AGAIN IAM TRULY VERY SORRY FOR ALL THIS SHIT THAT YOU ARE GOING THRU. THIS STORY MAKES ME VERY SAD.
Chuck,

I'm glad you are doing well. Just because my car has these issues doesn't mean yours does too. My point of this thread is to highlight the inconsistent quality that Ford is putting out with these vehicles. The pinched cooling hose is a common problem, and the exposed wiring at the oil pressure sensor seems to be common as well. So far, I have not seen the wiring harness issue from anyone elses car.

All I can tell you is to pop the hood and have a good look around.

OP
OP
Tomster

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
Sorry to hear all your issues Tom. As others have said, guessing these are mostly “COVID car” related issues.
Mine was built in early Dec and the only thing I have found so far is the coolant routing behind the supercharger. Fixed that one myself. Oh, and now, the camera issue apparently all Fords have.
Have tracked my car in 10 sessions now at COTA (plus Track Attack) and the car in mind-blowing. The DCT, engine, cooling and brakes are all amazing. So the “GT500 Parts” all work well together. But it’s still a Mustang body and production line.
Yes, I think there may be something to that. When many of your job 1 cars were being built, a lot of special attention was given to them. Many of you had oversight from (the guy) over in Flat Rock. Anytime any of my cars had special supervision, they always were fine. Combine covid and lack of supervision and I guess this is what you get.

I've decided to reach out to my tech over at the dealership and let him take the front end off the car to reroute the wiring harness as it was supposed to be run. I have been assured he will take his time and it will be done 100% correctly.

This thread was not intended to be a bash. I overlooked many cosmetic issues that I had fixed. The car was delivered with missing parts (bolts, fasteners, etc) as well as a few extra parts that were sitting in the center console tray that I have no idea where they came from. I guess it made them feel better to throw in a few spare random parts for the parts that were never installed. So back to my point, I overlooked all that. Then I finally get the car with some time to go over it and then this. Serious stuff that should never be.

Some of the fan boys seem to be upset with me posting this information. I don't care. My days of kissing Ford's ass are over. Give me a car that is lacking, and they are going to hear about it. So far, I have not been contacted. I know for a fact that Ford reads this site because a vendor I was working with alerted me to the fact that Ford reached out to him pointing out that I had a thread going pertaining to his product.

So moving forward, I suggest each new owner go over their car with a fine tooth comb. Put the car on a lift, examine every harness, every bolt, every part for correct installation and serviceability. You should be able to drive the car off the lot and not have to worry about these things, but I must say with this car you do. Just because you got a good one, doesn't mean that they all are.

Schwerin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang
I just read the first post and honestly this is the stuff that makes me laugh when I hear people talk about how we used to have great "American quality" We NEVER had a rep for great quality, that whole idea came out of self-promotion after WWII when we were a production powerhouse because we were the ONLY production country not bombed into oblivion. We didn't have a booming economy because we had some excellent quality or work ethic, we just had the ONLY mass production facilities, so we were the Only production option for a world that needed items made and craters where factories used to be.

My father worked in a factory that made parts/fasteners for nearly every automaker. The tightest quality/tolerances? Japanese and German makers. The loosest quality/tolerances? American brands. The overseas ones would send things back for not meeting their testing standards after being received. GM, Ford and Dodge would take anything given them and just use it unless it was WAY out of spec.

I also have paint problems and panel issue son my car, but honestly my thoughts at this point is "it's American , I EXPECT it not to have very high quality." I just expect "not total shit".

Last edited:

The Chairman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘09 GT500KR & ‘16 GT350 Track Pack & ‘20 GT500 HP
..... I suggest each new owner go over their car with a fine tooth comb. Put the car on a lift, examine every harness, every bolt, every part for correct installation and serviceability. You should be able to drive the car off the lot and not have to worry about these things, but I must say with this car you do. Just because you got a good one, doesn't mean that they all are.
I did exactly that. Got it home, installed the oil separator, removed the rain tray and put the car on the lift to check it over. All looked very good. (Battery cover was in the trunk as they had to jump start it after sitting in the rail yard for a month).
Then started to install all the IRS bits and CFTP springs/camber plates, rear Steeda sway bar, brake lines, caliperflexion studs, rear tow hook, etc. Looking for any issues along the way. Thankfully, none found.
Hopefully, when you get all of yours resolved and get it on track, your smile will return.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.