Sponsored

Ford... What is your problem? GT500 owners, you need to read these quality control issues...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
Today, I got to spend some (not so) quality time with my car after it has been in and out of the shop ever since I bought it. One of the main reasons it has been in the body shop is due to manufacturing defects both by Ford and Penske. Some of the things needed to be done so far are panel alignments (door/fender, hood/fender, wing hole mount anti corrosion, and clear coat defects on rear bumper.

So, I took delivery of my car back in late August. The car went immediately to PPF. It was there for about a week. That process had to stop due to the defects found above. The car then went to my dealerships body shop to correct the manufacturing defects. After 3 weeks in the body shop, the Xpel process was finished.

Today, I finally got to spend some time with the car and it is absolutely appalling what I found.... Where do I start?

I looked into the cold air intake from the outside of the car. If you are facing the front of the car, it is on the right hand side. I saw an obstruction that didn't look right. I removed the cold air intake box and to my horror, I found that a wiring harness was incorrectly run through the cold air intake and on top of a radiator component. It was routed incorrectly through the air barrier on the side of the radiator and would have been subjected to immense heat over time and certainly would have led to failure over time. There is no easy fix for this. To correctly reroute the harness to where it is supposed to be, the whole front end has to be removed. The wiring harness would have to be relocated and then all put together. Please reference photos. Have a look into your cold air intake plenum and if you see any kind of obstruction, you probably had the same lazy POS put your car together as well. This over time will fail. You need to get this fixed.

harness routing.jpg

routing3.jpg

This is how the wiring harness was supposed to be run. Thank you @Epiphany
correct routing2.jpg

Next up is my oil pressure sensor..... This sensor sits just a few inches from a header that gets cherry red hot. There is a reason that it is supposed to be wrapped and insulated with heat protection. Hey, look at that.... my wiring is exposed to the heat from the header. The GT350 oil pressure sensor has been problematic over the years. They have been known to come loose and spew oil all over the header and smoke or cause fire. I guess Ford hasn't learned its lesson. This is important and all GT500 owners need to make sure that their wires are insulated in the silver wrapped insulation. One of my students cars caught on fire because of a brake fluid drizzle onto the very header in question.

oil pressure sensor.jpg

And last but not least is the supercharger cooling line that we all have heard about. This time there is a new twist on the story. My line had a kink. This kink probably would have caused failure or protection mode from a lack of coolant. Hey, you ding dongs working the line who just don't care, why don't you start caring? This topic has been known for a while. I could understand a few early on mistakes. This has been going on for a while.

supercharger routing6.jpg

supercharger routing7.jpg

Again, I said this a while ago..... Ford has lost its way. People on the line don't care. Management doesn't care. Case in point. Parts for this car are horrendous. Hood pin latches with an MSRP of $700 each. Carbon fiber wing costing $26,000, Splitter over $1,000. You give us defective cars and then want to gouge the daylights out of us for spare parts. On top of that we have defective brake components, and you choose not to do an immediate recall? This is a track car that depends on these brakes and you want to wait until November?

Shame on you Ford. Every worker who puts out this crap product ought to be embarrassed. For all the crap I have been through, Ford owes me an apology. Yet Jim Owens, who has my email address, sits in silence. Call me Jim, anytime. I'm tempted to call you, but I don't know what good it will do.

I am in complete disbelief that I spent over $100,000 for a mustang and this is what I got. Detroit, you seem to have forgotten the late 70's when you crammed crap down people's throats. What was the old saying? You don't want a car built on a Monday or Friday? Well in this case I guess you don't want a car built on any day of the week.

People, take the time to check out the items highlighted above. This is serious business, not cosmetic trivial stuff.
Sponsored

Last edited:

CEHollier

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Charles
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium Magnetic
Vehicle Showcase
Damn!

_M_

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A Mustang
@Tomster have you already contacted or asked for the Ford rep to reach out to you. All of these things really warrant their attention and I would argue a replacement car

OP
OP
Tomster

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
@Tomster have you already contacted or asked for the Ford rep to reach out to you. All of these things really warrant their attention and I would argue a replacement car
They don't care. Those same people sent my car to sit on a lot with no orders to ship it. Had I not reached out to a very special person on this forum, who knows what would have happened. Did you know that my car spend a cumulative time of over 2 months sitting outside because people don't care?
Did you know that my car was rejected by Ford upon return from Penske?
This is a long, long story of people not caring. This kind of car deserves more respect than the crap we are seeing here.

Sponsored

AngelDeath

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
'20 Shelby GT500 Rapid Red / '01 Metallic Red C5 / '17 White Overland
I'll be looking into this tomorrow when the sun is up. Seriously hope I dont see these, no offense Tom. This is really ridiculous I agree.

OP
OP
Tomster

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
I'll be looking into this tomorrow when the sun is up. Seriously hope I dont see these, no offense Tom. This is really ridiculous I agree.
This is stuff that I just stumbled upon. Who knows what I will find when I really start looking.

Snoopy49

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Earl
Vehicle(s)
2013 GT500 - SOLD and 2020 GT500 - SOLD
This is mine.

PA120345-2.JPG

PA120346-2.JPG

IMG_0631.jpeg

OP
OP
Tomster

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
This was my CAI box. The numb nuts who slapped the car together just pushed harder until it finally fit.

20201012_122216.jpg

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like to disassemble things.
When I took my car apart to clean it, one of the issues I took care of was the harness right next to the header that you pointed out Tom. I wrapped it and zip tied it further away while ensuring there was adequate strain relief. My exhaust actuator harnesses needed to be rerouted, and my engine coolant hose was pinched at the firewall too, requiring removal of the STB in order to mitigate the issue. I love the car, don't get me wrong, but the S550 has been around long enough where we shouldn't be seeing issues like this.

Sponsored

_M_

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A Mustang
They don't care. Those same people sent my car to sit on a lot with no orders to ship it. Had I not reached out to a very special person on this forum, who knows what would have happened. Did you know that my car spend a cumulative time of over 2 months sitting outside because people don't care?
Did you know that my car was rejected by Ford upon return from Penske?
This is a long, long story of people not caring. This kind of car deserves more respect than the crap we are seeing here.
Jeebus. Obviously I have a few things to catch up on. Absolute BS to have to deal with this stuff

OP
OP
Tomster

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
This is mine.

PA120345-2.JPG

PA120346-2.JPG

IMG_0631.jpeg
Earl,

What I did to fix the exposed wire issue was to pull the heat insulator cap over the sensor off. Work it up the harness to get it out of the way. Disconnect the harness from the sensor.. Pull gently on the silver insulation harness jacket..... it will give a bit and work its way back closer towards the connector. Use some aluminum foil tape (3M tape) to hold the insulation to where you set it to.

Reconnect the connector to the sensor. Replace the heat insulator cap over the sensor. If needed, use a piece of heat shield tape to further insulate from the heat.

SEERED

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Curtis
Vehicle(s)
20 GT500-LOUDMOUTH LIME
Wow Tom, just wow. Thank you for bringing this to us as I know It must kill you to have to retell your horror stories and then add chapters. :angry:
FORD
1602559775993.png

1602559830996.png

Last edited:

shelbykr

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500 2009 Shelby GT500KR 2008 Shelby GT-C
@Tomster.....Sorry to hear all the crap you are going through. Hope you get it all resolved real soon and thanks for bringing us up to speed on these problems.
Wow...so hard to believe this is a "Halo" car.
Not a good advert from FORD. Us Mustang enthusiasts deserve way better........

Does FL have this thing you have called a Lemon Law or is that only in CA?

kcobra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT500, Base w/tech, black roof, vinyl stripes
Hence not paying ADM for a ridiculously priced Mustang! Ford quality has gone down in past years. Example, GT 350 rear bumper fitment issues? You would think it would have been fixed after the first year. If I recall, this took almost 3 years before they woke up. $60K car.
F-150, door freezing issue, since the remodel in 2015, and it still happens in the very cold climates on 2020 units. Really?
What happens when you pay $20k for a cheap car, you can expect these types of things I guess, but now, with most cars and truck over $50k, I expect to get a quality product.
Ford, the non-car company of the future. lol
Focus on your electric junk Ford. Good work!
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.