Sponsored

Ford... What is your problem? GT500 owners, you need to read these quality control issues...

Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
OP
Tomster

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
I got that one. I was looking for an after pic to see how you fixed it.

I got the general concept though. I’ll be curious to see what mine is like. I’ll shoot my dealer some pics and have them be on the lookout.
Next time I'm in there, I'll snap a photo for you. I dont want to post it, because Ford actively reads this site. My fix is better than anything I'd get out of a dealership. Ask me how I know....
Sponsored

Reactions: _M_

AngelDeath

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
'20 Shelby GT500 Rapid Red / '01 Metallic Red C5 / '17 White Overland
are you referring to the photo above or the photo of our oil pressure sensor wires being exposed?
I was referring to the pic I posted as exposed wires also very close to the engine.

Next time I'm in there, I'll snap a photo for you. I dont want to post it, because Ford actively reads this site. My fix is better than anything I'd get out of a dealership. Ask me how I know....
Well I would be interested in the pics too, and thats what Pvt Msgs are for :)

Biggus Dickus

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
G
Vehicle(s)
Focus RS, Mustang GT, MME GTPE
Translation: Morons training Idiots, or Idiots training Morons.
Hopefully its Morons training Imbeciles who then train Idiots as Morons have higher IQs than Imbeciles who have higher IQs than Idiots.

AngelDeath

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
'20 Shelby GT500 Rapid Red / '01 Metallic Red C5 / '17 White Overland
Hopefully its Morons training Imbeciles who then train Idiots as Morons have higher IQs than Imbeciles who have higher IQs than Idiots.
Better hope its not training the other way around because the idiot got strings pulled and jump over the imbecile and became a moron. Then we have a problem.

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
A former college roommate works in finance for Audi USA. Volkswagen, Audi and Porsche are all the same company. One night over a few bourbons he told me never base your expectation for quality on MSRP of the car you bought - base it on the cheapest version of what you bought. As an example he said look at the VW, Audi, and Porsche versions of an SUV. They’re all the same platform and basic manufacturing process but they mark up the VW $3,000, the Audi $13,000, and the Porsche $23,000. So unfortunately for GT350 and 500 owners, the same schmucks who assemble no-option base Mustangs are putting your cars together, with some of the same tools and equipment - and some of the same test and inspection processes.
I've got a $26K '17 VW in the fleet, on which the panel gaps and paint finish are near perfect, the best I've seen on a run of the mill vehicle off the dealer lot to date. The interior is of the same cut, and the doors shut solidly and there are no rattles whatsoever yet.

By comparison my Mustang looks like something somebody semi-skilled assembled and finished in their garage. It's aggravating. There's no excuse for it at base EcoBoost pricing, let alone further up the tier when other manufacturers crank out cheap economy cars that look like somebody actually gave a shit. This stuff is giving me real reservations about ordering a GT500 next fall -- five years in I'm still pissed about the quality of my ~$40K unit, how am I going to feel about one at over double that amount? That Cayman GTS 4.0 looks better all the time.

My new F-150 isn't much better than my Mustang (warped dash, anyone?), frankly, but it's a truck and I use it as such so it bothers me slightly less. But it still does considering what it cost. Ford needs to step it up, big time.

Last edited:

Sponsored

jwt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Mustang Bullitt
Buy a European Ford say a Mondeo (Fusion). Well screwed together, no panel gap issues, paint is high quality. They can do it just choose not to in North America.

Skwibbs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 GT500, '17 2SS (previous)
This thread has me paranoid. Luckily I think I'm in the clear for the original topics at hand.

But, is this normal? Front grill. I know all our cars have it, but is it supposed to look like this?

20201009_114047.jpg

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like to disassemble things.
Yes.

MaskedRacerX

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
DT
Vehicle(s)
'21_JWS4XE / '21_TM3P
Poor QA/QC, build issues, etc., that strictly affect aesthetics, i.e,., a few inconsistent panel gaps, maybe a little funky stitching, that's one thing.

While that's not great, that's an order-of-magnitude different than major issues that could cause mechanical failures, or even worse, be life threatening (fires, brake failure).

OP
OP
Tomster

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
This thread has me paranoid. Luckily I think I'm in the clear for the original topics at hand.

But, is this normal? Front grill. I know all our cars have it, but is it supposed to look like this?

20201009_114047.jpg
It looks like your temp sensor.

Sponsored

RPDBlueMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350 Heritage Edition, Civic Type R
That sucks man, I can't imagine paying all of that money to experience those defects. I guess I am lucky or at least I haven't found anything crazy like that. Only problems I've noticed are some small panel gaps which doesn't bother me at all really. Im not very technical with cars but when I look under the hood everything seemed normal to me. I did have an issue with my right turn signal not working (light was out) and the differential had a small leak. I wouldn't call them issues, just annoyances but they got fixed. Pretty crazy that a brand new car, fresh from the factory in 2020 failed a state inspection lol.

Your issues seem pretty serious since if weren't a car guy, then you would have issues down the line. I just can't get over that someone just said fuck it with that air intake and smashed it in lol.

Sucks but this is why I won't be a first year car buyer. Totally unacceptable to have these issues I know but sadly its what happens when you roll with Ford or GM. Bronco owners will have a few surprises to them from Ford

Last edited:

RPDBlueMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350 Heritage Edition, Civic Type R
I've got a $26K '17 VW in the fleet, on which the panel gaps and paint finish are near perfect, the best I've seen on a run of the mill vehicle off the dealer lot to date. The interior is of the same cut, and the doors shut solidly and there are no rattles whatsoever yet.

By comparison my Mustang looks like something somebody semi-skilled assembled and finished in their garage. It's aggravating. There's no excuse for it at base EcoBoost pricing, let alone further up the tier when other manufacturers crank out cheap economy cars that look like somebody actually gave a shit. This stuff is giving me real reservations about ordering a GT500 next fall -- five years in I'm still pissed about the quality of my ~$40K unit, how am I going to feel about one at over double that amount? That Cayman GTS 4.0 looks better all the time.

My new F-150 isn't much better than my Mustang (warped dash, anyone?), frankly, but it's a truck and I use it as such so it bothers me slightly less. But it still does considering what it cost. Ford needs to step it up, big time.
Not a bad idea to get the Cayman only thing that is bad is the expense of it. Imo if you want the GT500 I'd wait a few years until it gets a mid cycle 'refresh' kinda like the GT350. I remember reading that the GT350 had some cooling and other issues when it first came out. Personally I wouldn't rush to get a new car from Ford but thats just me. I can see why you would not want to wait for it.

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
Not a bad idea to get the Cayman only thing that is bad is the expense of it. Imo if you want the GT500 I'd wait a few years until it gets a mid cycle 'refresh' kinda like the GT350. I remember reading that the GT350 had some cooling and other issues when it first came out. Personally I wouldn't rush to get a new car from Ford but thats just me. I can see why you would not want to wait for it.
The major downside of the P-car is the expense, and the fact that the closest service is two hours away for me. But that build quality....

Early car quality woes are the #1 reason I want to wait for a '22 GT500, #2 being ADMs, #3 the DCT is somewhat of an unknown quantity yet.

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like to disassemble things.
Early car quality woes are the #1 reason I want to wait for a '22 GT500, #2 being ADMs, #3 the DCT is somewhat of an unknown quantity yet.
I've now had 5 trips in my car of non-stop driving for 14-16hrs each time, tracked twice, and thrashed at the drag strip once in either my GT500 or the school's at the Track Attack. I've had much of the car disassembled. And I'm acutely aware of the faults that a number have witnessed (including me) to date. That said, the one item I'd call solid as a rock, is the Tremec DCT. It is absolutely next level and without a doubt one of the most robust units of its type on the market in any car. The calibration(s) done for this car is as near perfect as it gets in any number of conditions or uses. The service parts I've obtained for it through the Ford Parts network are some of the highest quality pieces I've seen for a Ford product (and the most expensive).

The DCT pulls this car up and takes it to another level. I'm beginning to think this may be the only opportunity we have to enjoy one in a Mustang. So don't hold off due to the DCT but rather take action because of it!:)

OP
OP
Tomster

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
I've now had 5 trips in my car of non-stop driving for 14-16hrs each time, tracked twice, and thrashed at the drag strip once in either my GT500 or the school's at the Track Attack. I've had much of the car disassembled. And I'm acutely aware of the faults that a number have witnessed (including me) to date. That said, the one item I'd call solid as a rock, is the Tremec DCT. It is absolutely next level and without a doubt one of the most robust units of its type on the market in any car. The calibration(s) done for this car is as near perfect as it gets in any number of conditions or uses. The service parts I've obtained for it through the Ford Parts network are some of the highest quality pieces I've seen for a Ford product (and the most expensive).

The DCT pulls this car up and takes it to another level. I'm beginning to think this may be the only opportunity we have to enjoy one in a Mustang. So don't hold off due to the DCT but rather take action because of it!:)
I think each manufacturer of each component has done a good job. It, unfortunately, comes down to the lowest common denominator. The DCT is amazing. The car on paper should be amazing too. So why are we seeing stupid crap like this on this particular car? There is no excuse for these kind of quality problems in this day and age. I knew someone who worked at flat rock. It's a place where people clock in and go home and not really care in between. I didnt believe this could happen until this car rolled in.

This time around, my car did not go through VIP audit. The quality was evident. If this is how ford puts the top of the line mustang out there, then I would never recommend anyone to buy a Ford Mustang ever again. Why would anyone spend this kind of money for a substandard defective product right out of the gate?

Back to the point..... until Ford gets their shi# together, i would not recommend this car.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.