Sponsored

Ford... What is your problem? GT500 owners, you need to read these quality control issues...

Status
Not open for further replies.

AngelDeath

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
'20 Shelby GT500 Rapid Red / '01 Metallic Red C5 / '17 White Overland
This is stuff that I just stumbled upon. Who knows what I will find when I really start looking.
Well I already had the pinched hose fixed when i got the car, but the other things you brought up IO will be looking at and hope I dont see the issues, but I am not holding my breath. And that CAI is just plain unacceptable.
Sponsored

Houston Kid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 GT500 HE CFTP, '18 WK2 ,'16 Audi A7
Wow. Just amazed at the piss poor QC. I’m adding to my list of items to check before I drive the car off the lot hopefully in November. I’m certain I’m going to do the walk around before I sign on the dotted line. They maybe a little more motivated to fix the issues if I’ve not taken possession/ownership of the car.

IceAge

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
GG
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT 500, 2022 GT500, 2020 GT Mustang, Raptor,
Pretty sad Tom and thanks for the heads up. The incompetent worker prevails and the lost manager is to blame as well. It’s the old age saying the blind leading the blind assembly line production along with truly lousy attention to detail standards. Can’t fix stupid which is sadly the case as well. Hopefully all here can benefit from your terrible issues to help others fix these issues sooner than later. And as we all know we are first year out of the gate owners which yeah you know what I am going to say......but like @Epiphany mentioned some issues are not specific to the GT500 since the S550 line is relatively the same build to a degree. At this point I am amazed you didn’t just take her back and just start all over again. But yeah overall she’s bad ass and understand your true disappointment. If your really hell bent on getting attention you need to go the social media route. Either do a YouTube video and make it public or reach out to car journalists who can get some attention which Ford would need to address. Now I will be looking over mine some more and yep I have the coolant line issue as well. Keep us updated with any other issues and @Goose17 knows how to get attention with his YouTube videos. And he would be an excellent spokes person to narrate a detailed video on all these issues. Good luck and better days have to come from all of this.

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
This needs to be a sticky, IMO.

MikeR397

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford GT350R & Raptor; Ferrari 360, Aston Martin Vantage, Porsche Cayenne GTS, Jaguar XFR
Wow. My R is in need of a new trans, clutch, and motor https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/th...ays-not-warranty-for-clutch-in-pieces.148866/ and I just started entertaining the idea of selling it for a 500 with carbon track pack and seeing if a a** Ford dealer out there might be willing to part with one under $100k and not a ridiculous ADM, and see the issues continue with the 500.

Guess I need to find another $50k in the couch and get a GT3. At least Porsche would honor their warranty and not fight you for 6 weeks with crap dealers who treat you like another $30k focus customer and don't even give a loaner car.

Sponsored

ZRacerLE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ZR2 & ZLE A10
Today, I got to spend some (not so) quality time with my car after it has been in and out of the shop ever since I bought it. One of the main reasons it has been in the body shop is due to manufacturing defects both by Ford and Penske. Some of the things needed to be done so far are panel alignments (door/fender, hood/fender, wing hole mount anti corrosion, and clear coat defects on rear bumper.

So, I took delivery of my car back in late August. The car went immediately to PPF. It was there for about a week. That process had to stop due to the defects found above. The car then went to my dealerships body shop to correct the manufacturing defects. After 3 weeks in the body shop, the Xpel process was finished.

Today, I finally got to spend some time with the car and it is absolutely appalling what I found.... Where do I start?

I looked into the cold air intake from the outside of the car. If you are facing the front of the car, it is on the right hand side. I saw an obstruction that didn't look right. I removed the cold air intake box and to my horror, I found that a wiring harness was incorrectly run through the cold air intake and on top of a radiator component. It was routed incorrectly through the air barrier on the side of the radiator and would have been subjected to immense heat over time and certainly would have led to failure over time. There is no easy fix for this. To correctly reroute the harness to where it is supposed to be, the whole front end has to be removed. The wiring harness would have to be relocated and then all put together. Please reference photos. Have a look into your cold air intake plenum and if you see any kind of obstruction, you probably had the same lazy POS put your car together as well. This over time will fail. You need to get this fixed.

harness routing.jpg

routing3.jpg

This is how the wiring harness was supposed to be run. Thank you @Epiphany
correct routing2.jpg

Next up is my oil pressure sensor..... This sensor sits just a few inches from a header that gets cherry red hot. There is a reason that it is supposed to be wrapped and insulated with heat protection. Hey, look at that.... my wiring is exposed to the heat from the header. The GT350 oil pressure sensor has been problematic over the years. They have been known to come loose and spew oil all over the header and smoke or cause fire. I guess Ford hasn't learned its lesson. This is important and all GT500 owners need to make sure that their wires are insulated in the silver wrapped insulation. One of my students cars caught on fire because of a brake fluid drizzle onto the very header in question.

oil pressure sensor.jpg

And last but not least is the supercharger cooling line that we all have heard about. This time there is a new twist on the story. My line had a kink. This kink probably would have caused failure or protection mode from a lack of coolant. Hey, you ding dongs working the line who just don't care, why don't you start caring? This topic has been known for a while. I could understand a few early on mistakes. This has been going on for a while.

supercharger routing6.jpg

supercharger routing7.jpg

Again, I said this a while ago..... Ford has lost its way. People on the line don't care. Management doesn't care. Case in point. Parts for this car are horrendous. Hood pin latches with an MSRP of $700 each. Carbon fiber wing costing $26,000, Splitter over $1,000. You give us defective cars and then want to gouge the daylights out of us for spare parts. On top of that we have defective brake components, and you choose not to do an immediate recall? This is a track car that depends on these brakes and you want to wait until November?

Shame on you Ford. Every worker who puts out this crap product ought to be embarrassed. For all the crap I have been through, Ford owes me an apology. Yet Jim Owens, who has my email address, sits in silence. Call me Jim, anytime. I'm tempted to call you, but I don't know what good it will do.

I am in complete disbelief that I spent over $100,000 for a mustang and this is what I got. Detroit, you seem to have forgotten the late 70's when you crammed crap down people's throats. What was the old saying? You don't want a car built on a Monday or Friday? Well in this case I guess you don't want a car built on any day of the week.

People, take the time to check out the items highlighted above. This is serious business, not cosmetic trivial stuff.
Terrible luck, Tomster. Sorry to see it. It's great that you are holding them accountable.

OP
OP
Tomster

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
Terrible luck, Tomster. Sorry to see it. It's great that you are holding them accountable.
Its good that I had the common sense to double check their work.

Hyundai and Kia are assembled better than this.

jwt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Mustang Bullitt
This is what QC is meant to catch, by rejecting and inflicting pain on the line as well as prevent in the future. And if the same workers keep making the same mistakes, reeducation followed by managers ass being kicked followed by performance remediation and finally dismissal.

To have all these on one car my gut instinct would be to assume QC got skipped and I'd be asking the QC group some hard questions, bumping sample rates up for a period of time to ensure nothing else is going on and setting some tough metrics for the team. Then a review after a suitable period of time to see if things are better or someone is getting fired.

Inthehighdesert

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Charlie
Vehicle(s)
2020 HE GT350R, 2022 HE Gt500 Cftp
Don’t kid yourself. A good friend’s son is a tech at the local Porsche dealer. They have the same issues on some of there cars as well. They can be slow as hell to on the customer service side as well

Wow. My R is in need of a new trans, clutch, and motor https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/th...ays-not-warranty-for-clutch-in-pieces.148866/ and I just started entertaining the idea of selling it for a 500 with carbon track pack and seeing if a a** Ford dealer out there might be willing to part with one under $100k and not a ridiculous ADM, and see the issues continue with the 500.

Guess I need to find another $50k in the couch and get a GT3. At least Porsche would honor their warranty and not fight you for 6 weeks with crap dealers who treat you like another $30k focus customer and don't even give a loaner car.

AngelDeath

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
'20 Shelby GT500 Rapid Red / '01 Metallic Red C5 / '17 White Overland
Well as you can see I have the same issue with the heat shield around the wires missing and to top off my heat shield is resting on the header no less. I'll bring this up to my service manager next week, or by the end of the month, definitely before it goes to Ceramic coating.

@Tomster is there enough slack to pull that down, or will they have to wrap are foil tape around it? Good thing the wiring by the intake was routed correctly on mine.

2020-10-13 16.29.36.jpg

Sponsored

Warpath

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford GT500, 2021 Jeep Trackhawk
Don’t kid yourself. A good friend’s son is a tech at the local Porsche dealer. They have the same issues on some of there cars as well. They can be slow as hell to on the customer service side as well
A German car with issues.....unheard of. :wink:

OP
OP
Tomster

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
Well as you can see I have the same issue with the heat shield around the wires missing and to top off my heat shield is resting on the header no less. I'll bring this up to my service manager next week, or by the end of the month, definitely before it goes to Ceramic coating.

@Tomster is there enough slack to pull that down, or will they have to wrap are foil tape around it? Good thing the wiring by the intake was routed correctly on mine.

2020-10-13 16.29.36.jpg
Here is what I wrote up for Earl. I believe there may be. after examining the harness after my fix, I saw that there was more length to work with. I was able to work the insulation down further, but not all the way. I used some aluminum tape to act as a heat shield. I wouldn't trust my dealership to fix it. No way..... Remove the cold air intake box and you will have lots of room to work.

Earl,

What I did to fix the exposed wire issue was to pull the heat insulator cap over the sensor off. Work it up the harness to get it out of the way. Disconnect the harness from the sensor.. Pull gently on the silver insulation harness jacket..... it will give a bit and work its way back closer towards the connector. Use some aluminum foil tape (3M tape) to hold the insulation to where you set it to.

Reconnect the connector to the sensor. Replace the heat insulator cap over the sensor. If needed, use a piece of heat shield tape to further insulate from the heat.

_M_

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A Mustang
Here is what I wrote up for Earl. I believe there may be. after examining the harness after my fix, I saw that there was more length to work with. I was able to work the insulation down further, but not all the way. I used some aluminum tape to act as a heat shield. I wouldn't trust my dealership to fix it. No way..... Remove the cold air intake box and you will have lots of room to work.

Did you take an after pic? I'm curious if anyone has found anything differently in their car?

OP
OP
Tomster

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
Did you take an after pic? I'm curious if anyone has found anything differently in their car?
No, I didn't. It was late in the day and time to wrap things up. What would you want to see?

Stage_3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Roush Stage 3
Wow, that's terrible. Especially on their "halo" car.
Sorry to hear of these issues. Good luck guys.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.