Sponsored

Ford... What is your problem? GT500 owners, you need to read these quality control issues...

Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
OP
Tomster

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
These are just some of my issues most paint related except for the driver side seat with the scuff mark
That just plain sucks. There is no reason for any of this. There should be a team that goes over every single one of these high end mustangs and not let this stuff get out the door.
Sponsored

jMB350R

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350R, 2020 GT500 CFTP, 2020 Lincoln Aviator
Well just received response from Ford about the Driver Side Seat Scuff marks. According to Ford Warranty Dept this is NOT a warranty item. The reasoning is crazy, according to the document since it was never documented at the factory or dealer delivery this not a warranty item. This is in spite of me making the salesman document and photo even before I ever sat in the car. I am hoping the owner of the dealership can help.

OP
OP
Tomster

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
Well just received response from Ford about the Driver Side Seat Scuff marks. According to Ford Warranty Dept this is NOT a warranty item. The reasoning is crazy, according to the document since it was never documented at the factory or dealer delivery this not a warranty item. This is in spite of me making the salesman document and photo even before I ever sat in the car. I am hoping the owner of the dealership can help.
Wow, just wow. If Ford won't cover it, then it is the liability of the dealership. The have to pony up and pay for it.

WD Pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lime GT
Vehicle Showcase
These are just some of my issues most paint related except for the driver side seat with the scuff mark
Watching with interest - I have a similar issue (but no where near as bad) on a GT Recaro ...

WD :like:

kcobra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT500, Base w/tech, black roof, vinyl stripes
These are my $10,000 painted stripes lol. Looks like a template was used. This is the area just below the bumper and above the splitter.

E1C8DCC5-23C7-40AE-8040-488A05E5D8CD.jpeg
You should see the shit that got by quality control on my 21! If FORD thinks it's ok to send customers shit with an $80k price tag, it will be a cold day in hell before I buy another. I have owned 13 Mustangs in my lifetime and my 21 has the most factory blemishes I have ever noticed. Totally disgusted with the fit, finish. Car performs awesome....thank god!

Sponsored

morjo02

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Shelby
Today, I got to spend some (not so) quality time with my car after it has been in and out of the shop ever since I bought it. One of the main reasons it has been in the body shop is due to manufacturing defects both by Ford and Penske. Some of the things needed to be done so far are panel alignments (door/fender, hood/fender, wing hole mount anti corrosion, and clear coat defects on rear bumper.

So, I took delivery of my car back in late August. The car went immediately to PPF. It was there for about a week. That process had to stop due to the defects found above. The car then went to my dealerships body shop to correct the manufacturing defects. After 3 weeks in the body shop, the Xpel process was finished.

Today, I finally got to spend some time with the car and it is absolutely appalling what I found.... Where do I start?

I looked into the cold air intake from the outside of the car. If you are facing the front of the car, it is on the right hand side. I saw an obstruction that didn't look right. I removed the cold air intake box and to my horror, I found that a wiring harness was incorrectly run through the cold air intake and on top of a radiator component. It was routed incorrectly through the air barrier on the side of the radiator and would have been subjected to immense heat over time and certainly would have led to failure over time. There is no easy fix for this. To correctly reroute the harness to where it is supposed to be, the whole front end has to be removed. The wiring harness would have to be relocated and then all put together. Please reference photos. Have a look into your cold air intake plenum and if you see any kind of obstruction, you probably had the same lazy POS put your car together as well. This over time will fail. You need to get this fixed.

harness routing.jpg

routing3.jpg

This is how the wiring harness was supposed to be run. Thank you @Epiphany
correct routing2.jpg

Next up is my oil pressure sensor..... This sensor sits just a few inches from a header that gets cherry red hot. There is a reason that it is supposed to be wrapped and insulated with heat protection. Hey, look at that.... my wiring is exposed to the heat from the header. The GT350 oil pressure sensor has been problematic over the years. They have been known to come loose and spew oil all over the header and smoke or cause fire. I guess Ford hasn't learned its lesson. This is important and all GT500 owners need to make sure that their wires are insulated in the silver wrapped insulation. One of my students cars caught on fire because of a brake fluid drizzle onto the very header in question.

oil pressure sensor.jpg

And last but not least is the supercharger cooling line that we all have heard about. This time there is a new twist on the story. My line had a kink. This kink probably would have caused failure or protection mode from a lack of coolant. Hey, you ding dongs working the line who just don't care, why don't you start caring? This topic has been known for a while. I could understand a few early on mistakes. This has been going on for a while.

supercharger routing6.jpg

supercharger routing7.jpg

Again, I said this a while ago..... Ford has lost its way. People on the line don't care. Management doesn't care. Case in point. Parts for this car are horrendous. Hood pin latches with an MSRP of $700 each. Carbon fiber wing costing $26,000, Splitter over $1,000. You give us defective cars and then want to gouge the daylights out of us for spare parts. On top of that we have defective brake components, and you choose not to do an immediate recall? This is a track car that depends on these brakes and you want to wait until November?

Shame on you Ford. Every worker who puts out this crap product ought to be embarrassed. For all the crap I have been through, Ford owes me an apology. Yet Jim Owens, who has my email address, sits in silence. Call me Jim, anytime. I'm tempted to call you, but I don't know what good it will do.

I am in complete disbelief that I spent over $100,000 for a mustang and this is what I got. Detroit, you seem to have forgotten the late 70's when you crammed crap down people's throats. What was the old saying? You don't want a car built on a Monday or Friday? Well in this case I guess you don't want a car built on any day of the week.

People, take the time to check out the items highlighted above. This is serious business, not cosmetic trivial stuff.
thank you and does anyone know if these issues have been addressed with the 2021 and soon 2022 GT500s ???

Dave2013M3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Mustang GT Base PP1 6MT Rapid Red
To be honest this is my main issue not just with the GT500, although I feel its exacerbated by the amount of money paid for these cars. This car is built on the same assembly line as the rental Mustangs. Unless this is addressed Mustang wide it will never be addressed just for the GT500. I love the GT500, its an awesome car. I start to shell out 100K for a car I want it to be screwed together properly. We are talking BMW and near Porsche prices for a Mustang. Owners of these cars are expecting near the same build quality and materials used to build BMWs and PCars. I don't blame them, but it isn't happening until its addressed to the whole Mustang line.

blitzburgh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 BMW M2C
Makes me glad I got a M2. I hope you get it all sorted. The GT 500 is a beautiful car.

morjo02

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Shelby
This is really disappointing and scary at same time. That makes me to think if I choose the right Brand. Ford needs to care more about clients like Tom, or us. Clients that care about their money, their investment. How can Ford sale those cars like this. They need to see who is the responsible for this and take action. My car (I love it but) has a lot of issues too. See pictures and you will see. And now, what I can do? Nothing, because they already end the GT350R production . So, I guess I need to live with that. And I don’t have Tom knowledge, maybe my engine bay has a lot of craziness inside!
Paint also has an small factory defect, and the clear has some of them too.
‍
089F65C9-CD68-48E5-A0F3-775DD9F9D6C3.jpeg

9107881E-D999-4042-A4CC-A22CD7CB2617.jpeg
?hash=9e3477db56bb5812603e17a59c6afbc2.jpg

0A371283-A7E4-4D1E-BBFB-D3FDA019AEE0.jpeg

33952E97-FBDD-4278-97CB-396739C173E9.jpeg

BD54697C-6D3E-45D5-8AAA-B01DE6A054FF.jpeg
OMG !!!

Sponsored

morjo02

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Shelby
So here are the photos.....

Once I got everything apart, I found another lack of attention to detail... The harness is supposed to be pushed into the support. Not a big deal, just a lack of attention to detail.
loose harness.jpg

So here it is, the front end off the car. Not a big deal in terms of complexity, but it is a time consuming process. See description above for the process.
front end removed2.jpg

This is how the harness was routed. Right up against a substantial heat source with no reguard for the correct routing. This routing caused two problems.... First the harness was subjected to more heat than it was supposed to be. Second, the cold air intake was obstructed and the two ducts could not connect properly. When it was assembled, they just pushed harder until it finally fit in there.
defective routing3.jpg

Another issue with this ad hock wiring is that the harness no longer had support and was free to chaff against other components.
defective routing2.jpg

A comparison of how it was run vs how it should have been run.
defective routing.jpg

The wiring harness in the correct position!! I took my time to clean up the gunk and grime from it sitting so long out in the elements.
corrected routing.jpg

Stay safe out there, and take a few moments to go over your brand new car and make sure everything is where it is supposed to be.,
OMG !!!

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Attached is what is and is not warrantable per Ford regarding leather or cloth upholstery.

Now if you have pics AND can get the Salesman to document in writing that the blemish to the leather surface was like that upon taking delivery of the vehicle - that should the key to getting a warranty claim authorized for replacement.

I can't find it at the moment, I have it somewhere it's another doc - but when an owner takes delivery of a brand new vehicle, they have something like 7 days from that delivery date to report any claims to Ford that were not picked up or noted at the time of initial inspection and taking delivery.

You can also call the Ford 800# and refute the warranty denial by providing them facts. If you have the facts as you stated, you should be granted a Warranty repair.

Attachments

Last edited:
OP
OP
Tomster

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
thank you and does anyone know if these issues have been addressed with the 2021 and soon 2022 GT500s ???
I am not sure. I know for a fact that Ford tried to get the lazy asses on the line to pay more attention to the kinked supercharger hose, but it fell on deaf ears.

The UAW is crap. Ford and management really want to provide a quality product but the line workers don't give a rats ass.

dpAtlanta

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350 (#K2503), 2017 Cayman
The UAW is crap. Ford and management really want to provide a quality product but the line workers don't give a rats ass.
I was born & raised in Detroit... all of my family works for the big three. The unions are to blame.
Unions were needed in the beginning of the 20th century, but they have ruined the mentality of the line workers today. They don't care about their quality of work or the customers end product.
Union mentality is horrible... I get the behind the scenes viewpoints.

OP
OP
Tomster

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
I was born & raised in Detroit.
So was my wife. The whole side of her family is from DTW. All have been Ford family and some have worked for Ford. I'm afraid to say that you are correct on all counts. Its a shame.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.