Sponsored

Ford Trademarks "Mustang Mach-E" Name (and new Pony Badge)

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Heard again from the dealer who was at the behind the curtains viewing of the electric SUV and he confirmed it actually had the pony badge at the front and even pony logos on the center caps :/

Are you certain that this “Dealer” isn’t discussing the new Ford Bronco - of which had a private Dealer invite only less than 1 month ago?

Wouldn’t surprise me if he’s referring to the original Bronco horse logo... especially on an “suv”.
Sponsored

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
The Mustang image is more vulnerable than a Lamborghini or Porsche, so yes Ford is playing with fire when it comes to branding.
Of course they'd be playing with fire. Mustang is a model, not a make, and as such has had a relatively specific mission (which isn't about passenger and cargo-carrying utility or pretensions of off-road capability). SUV-izing the Mustang name would better compare to Porsche doing a new SUV and hanging the 911 moniker on it, or Lamborghini resurrecting the Miura name to "enhance" (I can't believe I typed that) their SUV positioning.

Norm

martinjlm

Retired from GM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
At 28 you're too young to fully understand what it means when the car mfrs stop building what you want and replace that with products you don't want. You may not even realize what it is that you really do want, as opposed to what you'll merely accept.

Diluting the Mustang name with any SUV DNA would be but a small step on the Mustangs way toward mediocrity as a 'fun car'.

Norm
My favorite Ford (and Mercury) brands were Mustang, Cougar, and Thunderbird. Ford has already effed up two of those names. I remember being seriously pissed off as a teenager when the Cougar went from being a cool low coupe with split grill and hidden headlights to a bloated squared off boulevard sofa on wheels. This was, of course, after they had done the same thing to the Thunderbird, which started out as Ford’s answer to Corvette.

Same thing now, EV is the futuristic way in most buyers minds, crossovers are hot and trendy, but for some reason, Ford isn't confident enough in this crossover to branch out with a new name, so they think they can lean on Mustang branding and loyalists to help them out. It's funny how history repeats itself. Hopefully it keeps on repeating itself and they call this EV the Probe instead lol.
That would really not be a bad idea at all

9secondko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 cobra
They could call it baby stallion and I’d still buy it. I think some of the comments saying fans will leave ford over name changes etc are exaggerated greatly.

The newer generation this is going to be a hit and I’m 28, so I am probably one of them and badging and naming schemes mean nothing to me.

Give me a nice car or suv or whatever it is and I’ll buy it, whatever ford does to it, history means nothing to me tbh nor traditions.

This is actually a case in point why Ford should NOT give it mustangesque branding. People will buy it no matter what.

Therefore, no reason to tick off an entire culture.

People like this guy who don’t care about the Mustang will buy it anyway and people who do care about the Mustang are more likely to add it to their stable. It’s a win-win.

It seems Mullaly was the last guy at Fords helm who really understood purpose.

The leadership since then have all tried to “be radical” in hopes of making a name for themselves rather than what’s best for Ford and it’s customers.

Pro tip: do what’s best for your customers and they will buy it, the company will be healthy, and you’ll get all the accolades. It’s a win-win all the way around.

Bastardizing the most popular brand you have in Order to sprinkle it’s cremated ashes onto a completely different vehicle segment in hopes it brings good luck? That’s a loser play.

Bullitt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang Bullitt
This is actually a case in point why Ford should NOT give it mustangesque branding. People will buy it no matter what.

Therefore, no reason to tick off an entire culture.

People like this guy who don’t care about the Mustang will buy it anyway and people who do care about the Mustang are more likely to add it to their stable. It’s a win-win.

It seems Mullaly was the last guy at Fords helm who really understood purpose.

The leadership since then have all tried to “be radical” in hopes of making a name for themselves rather than what’s best for Ford and it’s customers.

Pro tip: do what’s best for your customers and they will buy it, the company will be healthy, and you’ll get all the accolades. It’s a win-win all the way around.

Bastardizing the most popular brand you have in Order to sprinkle it’s cremated ashes onto a completely different vehicle segment in hopes it brings good luck? That’s a loser play.
The problem is Hackett seems to only care about the stock price. So he kills all the low profit stuff (except for Mustang), even though they still sell hundreds of thousands of them, and uses whatever means necessary to boost sales, even if he drags a name through the mud. As long as the shareholders are happy. But hey, that's what they hired him for, and he's delivering as promised it seems. Mullaly was great, but Mark Fields was cool in my eyes too. It's hard to imagine Hackett letting a skunkworks team build a supercar like the GT in the Ford basement like Fields did. (I know it probably started under Mullaly, but still).

Sponsored

Nuked

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Triple Yellow GTPP w/Recaros
Vehicle Showcase
The problem is Hackett seems to only care about the stock price. So he kills all the low profit stuff (except for Mustang), even though they still sell hundreds of thousands of them, and uses whatever means necessary to boost sales, even if he drags a name through the mud. As long as the shareholders are happy. But hey, that's what they hired him for, and he's delivering as promised it seems. Mullaly was great, but Mark Fields was cool in my eyes too. It's hard to imagine Hackett letting a skunkworks team build a supercar like the GT in the Ford basement like Fields did. (I know it probably started under Mullaly, but still).
Your exactly right. Hackett was brought in solely to increase stock prices. He doesn't give two hoots about the Mustang name going on an SUV if it increases sales of said SUV. In all actuality it will likely help sales by using the Mustang name. You have millenials that may think a Mustang is cool but not practical. Now they will have an option of a practical Mustang that is also Green Friendly.

martinjlm

Retired from GM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your exactly right. Hackett was brought in solely to increase stock prices. He doesn't give two hoots about the Mustang name going on an SUV if it increases sales of said SUV. In all actuality it will likely help sales by using the Mustang name. You have millenials that may think a Mustang is cool but not practical. Now they will have an option of a practical Mustang that is also Green Friendly.
As CEO it really isn't Hackett's place to come in with a position on any brand name. It is the responsibility of the Executive Chief Engineer for Mustang and the Brand Marketing Director for Mustang to make him aware of the importance of each brand and of the consequences of doing something stupid with them. It is their responsibility to guide him on the future trajectory of the brand as well as strategies (both marketing and product content / capability) to keep it strong. If the Mustang brand gets tarnished, it is likely because the people in charge of protecting and strengthening the name were not effective in staking their position with Hackett. Hackett's job is to take all inputs and suggestions and then make decisions based on the options put in front of him. He doesn't create the options. He chooses from among them based on the strength of the business case. If the people putting stupid options in front of him are more persuasive or have better data than the ones responsible for upkeeping the brand, then shame on them. And some shame on Hackett for not being able to adequately interpret and separate the wheat from the chaff.

Nuked

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
As CEO it really isn't Hackett's place to come in with a position on any brand name. It is the responsibility of the Executive Chief Engineer for Mustang and the Brand Marketing Director for Mustang to make him aware of the importance of each brand and of the consequences of doing something stupid with them. It is their responsibility to guide him on the future trajectory of the brand as well as strategies (both marketing and product content / capability) to keep it strong. If the Mustang brand gets tarnished, it is likely because the people in charge of protecting and strengthening the name were not effective in staking their position with Hackett. Hackett's job is to take all inputs and suggestion and then make decision based on the options put in front of him. If the people putting stupid options in front of him are more persuasive or have better data than the ones responsible for upkeeping the brand, then shame on them. And some shame on Hackett for not being able to adequately interpret and separate the wheat from the chaff.
Sure, but as CEO he can push whatever agenda he wants. If he thinks using the Mustang name will lead to more sales, revenue and ultimately higher share prices he is going to do it.

Bullitt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang Bullitt
As CEO it really isn't Hackett's place to come in with a position on any brand name. It is the responsibility of the Executive Chief Engineer for Mustang and the Brand Marketing Director for Mustang to make him aware of the importance of each brand and of the consequences of doing something stupid with them. It is their responsibility to guide him on the future trajectory of the brand as well as strategies (both marketing and product content / capability) to keep it strong. If the Mustang brand gets tarnished, it is likely because the people in charge of protecting and strengthening the name were not effective in staking their position with Hackett. Hackett's job is to take all inputs and suggestions and then make decisions based on the options put in front of him. He doesn't create the options. He chooses from among them based on the strength of the business case. If the people putting stupid options in front of him are more persuasive or have better data than the ones responsible for upkeeping the brand, then shame on them. And some shame on Hackett for not being able to adequately interpret and separate the wheat from the chaff.
Hackett himself has claimed to be a Mustang fan and mentioned in a press conference a year or two ago that he daily drives a GT350 (at least back then). If he was opposed to this Mustang Mach-E name he could certainly shoot it down.

I'm still really really hoping this is just a red herring to throw everyone off with the Mustang badging on the SUV at the dealer meeting, and that this Mach-E name ends up going on the Hybrid Mustang where it would make a lot more sense.

martinjlm

Retired from GM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sure, but as CEO he can push whatever agenda he wants. If he thinks using the Mustang name will lead to more sales, revenue and ultimately higher share prices he is going to do it.
True. But somebody has to bring him the data suggesting this to be true. And the "guardians" of the brand have to be there to position him that it doesn't make sense. When I was at GM there were people suggesting that when Pontiac got axed, the Pontiac G8 should be re-purposed to be a Chevrolet Chevelle. A lot of people behind that idea. There were others who thought it should be called Chevrolet SS. Obvious who won that battle. Neither name was the CEO's idea, but the people who were backing SS did a better job of positioning the leadership team and the CEO than the people pushing the Chevelle name. I expect similar discussions happen in Dearborn all the time.

Sponsored

jake_zx2

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kona Blue 2018 GT
Vehicle Showcase
True. But somebody has to bring him the data suggesting this to be true. And the "guardians" of the brand have to be there to position him that it doesn't make sense. When I was at GM there were people suggesting that when Pontiac got axed, the Pontiac G8 should be re-purposed to be a Chevrolet Chevelle. A lot of people behind that idea. There were others who thought it should be called Chevrolet SS. Obvious who won that battle. Neither name was the CEO's idea, but the people who were backing SS did a better job of positioning the leadership team and the CEO than the people pushing the Chevelle name. I expect similar discussions happen in Dearborn all the time.
And it's a shame that that's the team that won... perhaps if it had been named "Chevelle", it could've had more publicity and sold a bit better. I know they weren't planning on selling a lot of them, but maybe it could've made a business case to keep Holden around?

Ericc B

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Various Mustang GTs
Are you certain that this “Dealer” isn’t discussing the new Ford Bronco - of which had a private Dealer invite only less than 1 month ago?
Yes I'm sure he isn't. The event was the Ford Europe presentation that was held in Amsterdam last week and the dealer is also an official Shelby dealer. They can tell a Bronco logo from a Mustang logo with the lights out.

Nuked

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I think it is kind of silly personally to call anything a Mustang other than a Mustang (2dr coupe/conv. RWD etc) Why not call it a Torino, Ranchero or Maverick? Those are just a few names off the top of my head. Whatever happens, happens. The whole SUV/Truck emphasis and abandoning the sedan/compact car segment will likely bite them in the ass in the long run.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
The Ford of Europe event confirmed that the often-teased ‘Mustang-inspired’ electric crossover will be more than a North American market. The vehicle, Ford said Tuesday, will be able to travel 600 kilometers, or 370 miles, on a single charge when it comes to market in 2020, an estimate based on European fuel consumption and emissions standard known as WLTP.

The WLTP, or World Harmonised Light Vehicle Test Procedure, is a new standard that is supposed to make European fuel economy labels more realistic. (In the past, ranges in Europe were wildly overstated compared to the more conservative EPA estimates. Vehicles in the U.S. use EPA estimates.

Ford has said it’s targeting a 300-mile range for its electric crossover in the United States.

The operational piece of Ford of Europe’s strategy, which does include a couple of all-electric vehicles in the mix, namely the Mustang-eseque SUV, will be largely led by Stuart Rowley.

Rowley, who took over as vice present and president of the regional outfit on April 1, will be responsible for all operational leadership of the business unit, including acceleration of the European transformation strategy. He reports to Jim Farley, president of Ford Global Markets.
For those that remember the Mustang letter writing campaign back in 1987, Mustang Enthusiasts pounded FoMoCo with hundreds of thousands of letters exclaiming dissatisfaction in the direction Ford was taking the Mustang - that letter writing campaign changed Ford’s strategy and saved the Mustang from being eliminated by a Probe. If you’re too young to know what happened, just google “1987 Ford Mustang letter writing campaign” and there’s a ton of available info.

So if you’re in total disgust of the new direction of what will become of the iconic Mustang, it’s history and it’s name - direct your thoughts and feelings towards Ford Corporate and the 2 names in the above article ... you never know, maybe history could repeat itself.

Unless you’re going to enjoy what this turns out to be:
2137ED05-726A-4E4F-916A-E4138D6212E4.jpeg

LMAO - Unveiled
05B9F2AA-508A-4DCE-9AA4-A70EC273D16A.jpeg

Last edited:

martinjlm

Retired from GM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford is investing $500 Million in Rivian. Rivian will build skateboards for Ford at the Normal, Illinois plant. Ford will complete a vehicle on the Rivian skateboard. Rivian's capacity in Normal is 250,000 units a year. No real discussion on how much of that will go to Ford.

https://www.freep.com/story/money/cars/2019/04/24/ford-rivian-investment/3559641002/

I think most people assume that since Rivian will build trucks and SUVs that this will be the under-pinning of the electric F-150. I was on the media call for this and Jim Hackett stated that the product to be built on the skateboard will be "incremental" to Ford's existing plans. Since I'm pretty sure the electric F-150 was already in the plan, I will take that to mean the skateboard will be used for something else. Also, it is in Rivian's best interest that Ford NOT use their skateboard to compete with Rivian's own RT1. So, my analysis is that it could be a lux sedan to compete with Model S / Porsche Taycan.
Sponsored