alexm050

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Hey Guys,

Really looking for a recommendation here.
I have the Ford performance track handling package installed on my 2016 GT. I use this car as a daily driver and drive aggressively.
The handling on the car feels worse then the car was stock. Basically high speeds on the freeway don’t really feel stable and even turning feels like the car losing grip so easily. I think the car just feels too stiff and it’s hurting the handling.
the tires setup is 255/35r/19 all around.
Maybe increasing the tire width will be better for this suspension setup?

appreciate any feedback
Sponsored

givemeadollar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2019 LFP 800
ditch the springs and get bmr sp083, steeda camber plates, j&m rear shock mounts and a good alignment by a performance shop.

givemeadollar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2019 LFP 800
I run 275/35/19 nitto nt05 on a 19x10 wheel for the fronts and I run 305/45/17 nitto nt555rII on a 17x10 wheel on the rear or a 305/35/19 nitto 555rII on a 19x11 rear wheel

Alignment is set to pp2 oem specs for street driving.

OP
OP
alexm050

alexm050

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
I’ve got Mickey Thompson Street Comps. Had the alignment done to factory specs, but never felt to confident in the shops ability.

Maybe camber plates and a new alignment wouldn’t hurt here. Any type of camber plates needed in the rear or will just the front plates be fine?

Sponsored

givemeadollar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2019 LFP 800
I’ve got Mickey Thompson Street Comps. Had the alignment done to factory specs, but never felt to confident in the shops ability.

Maybe camber plates and a new alignment wouldn’t hurt here. Any type of camber plates needed in the rear or will just the front plates be fine?
If you are running the track pack springs those have to go. They are worse than the oem ones you took off... Nothing else you do will matter if you have shitty springs.

OP
OP
alexm050

alexm050

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
If you are running the track pack springs those have to go. They are worse than the oem ones you took off... Nothing else you do will matter if you have shitty springs.
If I were to get the BMR springs can I run them with the rest of FP Track kit components that I already have installed?Struts, sway bars, shocks, etc.

1 old racer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Will
Vehicle(s)
2018 Royal Crimson GT PP1 prem., and others
Vehicle Showcase
Something to consider. If the car feels unsettled going over dips and bumps after the alignment, it will be your need for a bump steer kit. I used steeda, but there are others. Lowered Mustangs are sensitive to too this and they are pretty easy to install. But you will have to have the toe adjusted when you finish installing them.

luc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT with PP
Do you track your car?
Your negative comments regarding the track handling package do not correlate with mine and quite a few other friends experience with this package on a race track

Sponsored

bmrylnd5

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
@sugoispec
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT/CS

When you say factory specs, do you mean normal Ford specs for the GT, or FRPP's recommendation?

Last edited:

Alponcho

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT Premium
Installed one of these kits on my son’s 19 GT premium last Dec...handles much better now. He runs good summer tires (MPS4S in 285 30 20 and 305 30 20) and went with the FP performance alignment specs (still pretty conservative).

saleen367

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1 - N3451 2015 Focus Titanium
Start with the simple things first.

Did the problems start after installing the FPP kit? If so, recheck your work. Look for lose nuts, etc.

If that checks out, what setting did you install the front and rear sway bar? << this will make a huge difference and I can't help but thing you installed the rear bar on the stiffest setting. If so, move it to the softest setting available. These car won't tolerate a lot of rear bar, especially with a 255 tire.

If that checks out, take the car back to an alignment shop to see if anything has moved. If it has, realign and move on.

If alignment checks out, my first thought was your pushing the limits of those tires. A 255 is a pretty sad tire to be aggressively driven, especially during heavy cornering and cold temperatures.

Roadway 5.0

Strassejager
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2016GT PP 6MT
Vehicle Showcase
The Ford Performance Track Kit is very good for those who want a bit more of an aggressive street setup.

Basically high speeds on the freeway don’t really feel stable
High performance summer tires driven in a New Jersey winter is likely the main cause. Also, go to a trusted alignment center and ensure you have 0.00 to 0.05 toe-in on each front wheel, and 0.10-0.12 toe-in on each rear wheel. Check that your rear sta-bar is on full soft.

...and even turning feels like the car losing grip so easily.
Tires and alignment again.

...I think the car just feels too stiff and it’s hurting the handling.
High performance summer tires under 45F degrees turn to stone. The springs you have are a bit on the stiff side, but look at tires first.

...the tires setup is 255/35r/19 all around.
This is a relatively short sidewall tire for a 19”...another root cause of poor ride quality. A 255/40/19 is factory spec (2016GT PP front).

Maybe increasing the tire width will be better for this suspension setup?
Getting a proper winter tire is not only a good performance choice, but a safer choice. A wider tire will increase dry grip, a somewhat thinner tire helps cut through snow. A taller sidewall, to a reasonable extent, helps ride quality.

I suggest you get proper tires and an alignment before jumping into new parts. The Ford Track Kit is great if done right. If you still have problems, look into a roll-center/bumpsteer kit and softer springs.
Sponsored