Sponsored

Ford to Supply Engines for De Tomaso.......

MasterCylinder

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
(sold)17 GT
If the original was about $10,000 in 1971, that's similar to about $65,000 now. If DeTomaso makes the car in Detroit they should be able to keep the prices relatively low.

A mid-engine Ford powered DeTomaso for less than $80K would be very tempting. Hopefully they won't do anything stupid like GM did with the 'vette and make it automatic transmission only.

Exactly! DeTomaso designed, Ford powered/badged, and at a good price point could definitely take on the new Vette.

The only hiccup I could see is Ford executives comparing it to the Ford GT.
Sponsored

17Magnetic5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 premium mustang gt black accent package
Umm, no. Actually DOHC engines tend to make more power and more torque per cubic inch (assuming they meet modern emission regulations). That's why GM's 5.3 makes ~310 HP and 334 ft-lbs whereas Ford's 5.2 makes 526 HP and 429 ft-lbs. Also, to make an engine more capable of running higher revs it's better to have shorter stroke length to keep piston speed down.
that’s true but the 5.0 dohc is also a bit bigger than a pushrod 6.2 which is where the limitations start to show up in terms of power. Sure Ford could do a 6.2 dohc and make crazy power but the mustang would have to get even bigger so it would fit.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
that’s true but the 5.0 dohc is also a bit bigger than a pushrod 6.2 which is where the limitations start to show up in terms of power. Sure Ford could do a 6.2 dohc and make crazy power but the mustang would have to get even bigger so it would fit.
A DOHC engine has larger cylinder heads - yes that is obvious.

A Coyote engine would have to get 2 inches longer and 0.35" taller deck to get to 7 liters (427 cubic inches). My point being a relatively small change in engine size can get you a LOT more cubic inches. To me 2 inches longer and 0.35" higher deck would totally be worth it for 40% more displacement and power.

I'd be surprised if you actually had to make the Mustang larger to fit it. You could fit a 427 DOHC engine in the existing Mustang engine bay. And some minor mods to the head and sheet metal design could probably allow the Mustang to shrink but still get a 7 liter DOHC engine.

Now that would be awesome if Ford would step up and do that.

OP
OP
SmokinAces

SmokinAces

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eddie
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT350
Hey Hack, love the sound of increased displacement, but now the issue is weight. How Much more weight would you speculate? Disregard, a lot of great info in the General Section about future engine projects.
Sponsored

Last edited: