Sponsored

Ford to Supply Engines for De Tomaso.......

RazzaRossa

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ron
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium PP1
Modern Coyote powered Pantera?!?!? Mid engine GT500 powered Italian sports car?!?! Something Ford would not build?

MasterCylinder

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
(sold)17 GT
Would be nice if it was put in an affordable mid engine car just like the pantera originally was.

nastang87xx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
Ford has the World's ear open with their current modular architecture. I love me a good ol' LS but it's just not interesting anymore to a lot of specialized manufacturers. LS guys are jerking themselves off countless times a day because the SSC Tuatara is "an LS engine." Wrong. Wrong wrong and wrong. It has some similar dimensions and measurements but is not related to any LS/LT architecture. If any journalists say otherwise, they haven't been paying attention to what Nelson Racing has been releasing.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Would be nice if it was put in an affordable mid engine car just like the pantera originally was.
The originals are still affordable within a price point of $75k-$100k+ depending on year, condition and if modded or not. :)

Sponsored

OP
OP
SmokinAces

SmokinAces

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eddie
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT350
While this sounds like good news, any further development on the the Coyotes engine package is most welcomed. Hoping Ford uses this opportunity to experiment with more displacement. It doesn’t need to stay at 5.0 liter in this case. Even if it only gets up to 500hp n/a, please give me more torque!! Nows your chance Ford, to make it better.

Balr14

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
BMW Z4 M40i
NA/DOHC engines are usually limited in torque because it requires a longer stroke, which means greater deck height, which means a wider engine.

OP
OP
SmokinAces

SmokinAces

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eddie
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT350
NA/DOHC engines are usually limited in torque because it requires a longer stroke, which means greater deck height, which means a wider engine.
Thnx John, did forget about wider. I thought since the new platform configuration hasn’t been finalized yet, powerplant options are open to take the S650 project to the next level. Agree with the above comments, who wouldn’t want a Pantera or Pantera like car with some new Gen Coyote engine.

3rdRGR

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Vehicle(s)
2018 Roush RS2, 2011 Nissan Murano SV
Holy crap, you better have exactly zero instances where you have to go up or down a slight grade in that baby. My Roush is slightly lowered and has a front lip spoiler and there have been many times where I've had to come out of a parking lot or driveway at a weird angle to avoid hitting. As long and low as that front end is... man! Pretty cool looking though.

17Magnetic5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 premium mustang gt black accent package
I’m sorry what is that? That has to be one of the ugliest designs I’ve seen lately. I get what they were going for and that’s a retro look but they car looks lifted and gold wheels and mirrors really?

Sponsored
OP
OP
SmokinAces

SmokinAces

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eddie
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT350
Yeah, its an acquired taste I guess. I see the semblance to the past, but really want and hope for some development in the engine department. That some of that, makes it’s way into some special edition mustang.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
If the original was about $10,000 in 1971, that's similar to about $65,000 now. If DeTomaso makes the car in Detroit they should be able to keep the prices relatively low.

A mid-engine Ford powered DeTomaso for less than $80K would be very tempting. Hopefully they won't do anything stupid like GM did with the 'vette and make it automatic transmission only.

Umm, no. Actually DOHC engines tend to make more power and more torque per cubic inch (assuming they meet modern emission regulations). That's why GM's 5.3 makes ~310 HP and 334 ft-lbs whereas Ford's 5.2 makes 526 HP and 429 ft-lbs. Also, to make an engine more capable of running higher revs it's better to have shorter stroke length to keep piston speed down.

nastang87xx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
While this sounds like good news, any further development on the the Coyotes engine package is most welcomed. Hoping Ford uses this opportunity to experiment with more displacement. It doesn’t need to stay at 5.0 liter in this case. Even if it only gets up to 500hp n/a, please give me more torque!! Nows your chance Ford, to make it better.

The current Coyote twists just as much torque with its 5L as a 6.2L LS3 and at exactly the same RPM. I think we're doing just fine.

nastang87xx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack

And interestingly enough the Coyote has an even longer stroke than the LS3 and LT2. Albeit only by like .2mm but it is longer.
Sponsored