Sponsored

Ford to revive Thunderbird as Corvette rival

Interceptor

Daily Driver
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 California Special A10
When Thunderbird was reintroduced in 2002 they sold well, ever year later less and less.
First year always sells best. With shortage of vehicles, Bronco may be different.
Sponsored

Balr14

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
BMW Z4 M40i
I will never understand why car manufacturers screw up vehicle concepts so bad. You would think they would have enough smart people to get it right. Ford brings back the T-bird with a pathetic 3.9 V8, Plymouth puts a V6 in the Prowler and puts hideous bumpers on it and GM does a cool SSR roadster pickup on a two ton truck chassis.

Interceptor

Daily Driver
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I will never understand why car manufacturers screw up vehicle concepts so bad. You would think they would have enough smart people to get it right. Ford brings back the T-bird with a pathetic 3.9 V8, Plymouth puts a V6 in the Prowler and puts hideous bumpers on it and GM does a cool SSR roadster pickup on a two ton truck chassis.
The Retro Thunderbird has close to the same performance as a Mustang GT year for year. It was far from pathetic when compared to vehicles of same time period. The Retro bird was not suppose to be a hot rod. Designed for a weekend cruiser for the wealthy in comfort. As in independent rear and soft springs.

People called the Thunderbird weak because of the engine 3.9 size, back then everybody thought " no replacement for displacement".

That little engine puts out 280 hp and has a 140 mph computer cut off. They were not the faster car, but far from slowest.

The Retro bird is like most of cars you mentioned, you like them, or don't like them. But don't blame the mechanics of vehicles. Non of the vehicles you mentioned were designed for the gearhead, they were designed for people with disposable cash.

Balr14

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
BMW Z4 M40i
The Retro Thunderbird has close to the same performance as a Mustang GT year for year. It was far from pathetic when compared to vehicles of same time period. The Retro bird was not suppose to be a hot rod. Designed for a weekend cruiser for the wealthy in comfort. As in independent rear and soft springs.

People called the Thunderbird weak because of the engine 3.9 size, back then everybody thought " no replacement for displacement".

That little engine puts out 280 hp and has a 140 mph computer cut off. They were not the faster car, but far from slowest.

The Retro bird is like most of cars you mentioned, you like them, or don't like them. But don't blame the mechanics of vehicles. Non of the vehicles you mentioned were designed for the gearhead, they were designed for people with disposable cash.
None of those vehicles lasted very long, they didn't sell because nobody wanted them. My sister had one of those T-birds... it was a dog, lots of weight and no torque. The wealthy looking for weekend cruisers buy Mercedes.

Interceptor

Daily Driver
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sorry I must disagree with you, I currently own one, so does another member of my family. They are not dogs. They will hold their own from cars built in the same time period. It has become one of my favorite used vehicles purchased. I agree alot of people don't like the looks, but I do.
20220315_135805.jpg

Maybe you've been spoiled by current Mustang GT performance.

Sponsored

Balr14

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
BMW Z4 M40i
Sorry I must disagree with you, I currently own one, so does another member of my family. They are not dogs. They will hold their own from cars built in the same time period. It has become one of my favorite used vehicles purchased. I agree alot of people don't like the looks, but I do.
20220315_135805.jpg

Maybe you've been spoiled by current Mustang GT performance.
I thought they looked great! I just wanted about 500lbs less weight and another 200hp.

LSchicago

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lloyd
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT/A 301A 5.0
I thought they looked great! I just wanted about 500lbs less weight and another 200hp.
I always wondered how they would be with a Coyote.

Jimmy Dean

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Al
Vehicle(s)
71 mach 1, 82 Bronco, 86 Bronco (dd),
Don't we all, a manual transmission would be great too
There was a stick option in..,,05?

also, there’s a supercharger bolt on.

for looks, it needs the aftermarket fins and new wheels, then it looks pretty good.

Earlsays

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 MUSTANG GT
There was a stick option in..,,05?

also, there’s a supercharger bolt on.

for looks, it needs the aftermarket fins and new wheels, then it looks pretty good.
Lincoln LS with a V6 was available with a manual transmission - V8 was automatic only....retro bird was V8 only, auto only. Those birds coulda been something special.

Jimmy Dean

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Al
Vehicle(s)
71 mach 1, 82 Bronco, 86 Bronco (dd),
Lincoln LS with a V6 was available with a manual transmission - V8 was automatic only....retro bird was V8 only, auto only. Those birds coulda been something special.
Yes. And they’re fun to drive
Sponsored