Ford to revive Thunderbird as Corvette rival

stars_fan

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
21 GT PP1, 20 Tesla M3P & 21 Ducati SFV4S
That all happened in 50s, Thunderbird was the first Corvette a come lately is a me too.

The Corvette is overrated, must own one to understand.
You know there is this thing called google where you can look things up. The Thunderbird was a me too copy of the Corvette
Sponsored

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
You know there is this thing called google where you can look things up. The Thunderbird was a me too copy of the Corvette
For the first three years it was. Beyond that it morphed into a personal luxury monstrosity, but actually sold well.

Balr14

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
BMW Z4 M40i
I have owned first gen Corvettes and T-birds and my brother and I used to restore old Vettes before parts got too expensive. The first Vette I drove was a 54 with the 6 cylinder engine. It felt like driving a Bel Air. But, by 1957 they were a pretty respectable sports car. My favorites were the 59 and 62. I had a 55 T-bird and it was probably superior to the same year Vette in a number of respects, except the engine. But, it felt like driving a small Ford sedan that handled a little better. By 1957 the T-bird had not progressed. The engine was better, but the ride got softer and the body roll was excessive. It no longer competed with the Vette.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
For the first three years it was. Beyond that it morphed into a personal luxury monstrosity, but actually sold well.
I had a relative that owned a late 80s XR7 Cougar with the supercharged V6. I liked that car. Yes it was a personal luxury vehicle, but it wasn't bad at all.

Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
GT PP2 RaceRed Roush> Steeda> preformance
Vehicle Showcase
Makes no sense. Corvette is poor man's Ferrari and tacky as hell like a rice Lego kit.

Not everyone wants to look like they can't afford an proper mid engine car LOL. Yes I know is a great car, dynamically.

Ford would do far better to put a Bentley grade interior in the Mustang so folks who can't afford the BMW 8 or S vert, have an option for a luxury GT vert that can run with the best of them.

There are no shortages of cowhides, processing or upholstery vendors and it's easy to set them up in the US prison enterprise worst case, or in LatAM anywhere.

That certainly describes what the vett has morphed into, they are ugly as sin.

And always thought of the Mustang as just a Ford falcon with a sort of sporty body.

The Mustang changed that with the current body style. The Mustang was refined the corvette unrecognizable, GM cannot make up its mind what the DNA of that rag should be.

Sponsored

jacknifetoaswan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red Mustang GT Premium Performance Pack
Hello; one thing about the latest Mustangs to me has been they are large for the type. I get the platform is used to make other Ford models.
I have thought for years that same platform could be made into a nice midsized sedan. A four door sedan with Mustang running gear would be worth a good look. I was not thinking to have it called a Mustang however. Chevy made an SS Sedan back in 2017 based on the Holden chassis. That was a bit too big but the same sort of concept.
I would want a V8 and a manual trans or the concept would be a waste to me.
The S550 platform is NOT used to make other models, it's bespoke to Mustang. The Pontiac GTO/Holden Monaro (2 door) was based on the VX-series Holden Commodore, which was badge engineered into the Pontiac G8 (VE-series) and Chevy SS (VF-series). The base platform, Zeta, was also used for the Camaro from 2011-2017.

The fact of the matter is that, minus the niche vehicles like the Mazda MX5/Fiat 124, there isn't a market for small runabouts, and federal regulations have required that vehicles get larger, due to safety standards. Consumers also want more and more tech, which has a weight penalty. Plus, us Americans aren't exactly small people.

JR

detamble13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Camaro SS LS3
The base platform, Zeta, was also used for the Camaro from 2011-2017.

The fact of the matter is that, minus the niche vehicles like the Mazda MX5/Fiat 124, there isn't a market for small runabouts, and federal regulations have required that vehicles get larger, due to safety standards. Consumers also want more and more tech, which has a weight penalty. Plus, us Americans aren't exactly small people.

JR
Zeta was 2010 - 2015, Alpha 2016 - present.
Unfortunately you're correct about the market for small cars and if Ford does bring back the T-Bird nameplate I'd be interested how they position it. Hopefully not as another version of the Ford Hand Job (Mach E).
Ford currently does not have a Corvette competitor in the same way GM doesn't have a GT equivalent, until the ZR1 arrives. And as long as it's available to those who can afford one and doesn't require you having a social media influence it should be the better car.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
Leg room is unbelievable making lots of room for rear passengers.
5'11 and I sit reasonably well forward and "bolt upright" compared to many who drive while laying down. And only 12yr old could potentially sit behind me.

LSchicago

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lloyd
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT/A 301A 5.0
Not really. The first Tbird prototype was shown one month after the first Vette was shown. It was Ford's second attempt at a sports car. Corvette just beat them to market by about a year (or 2 model years)

sk47

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Silverado & Nissan Sentra SE
Hello; A while back i paused looking for a new Mustang. I have been looking at the mid to late 1990' versions. 1995 and newer mostly. I find that series to be smaller than the current models in apparent size. The size of the newer models just seems large to me.

Note- I did some checking and found wickepidia information about the current mustang platform. If I did read the chart correctly the mustang and the GT share a platform.

Sponsored

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
The more I think about this, the more I like it. Some of those old men who buy Corvettes to drive to C&C would probably consider something more comfortable and easier to get in and out of. There are definitely a lot of Corvette buyers who aren't using it as a performance car.

Interceptor

Daily Driver
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 California Special A10
The more I think about this, the more I like it. Some of those old men who buy Corvettes to drive to C&C would probably consider something more comfortable and easier to get in and out of. There are definitely a lot of Corvette buyers who aren't using it as a performance car.
Those people will never want a car for its attributes, only for the status.
The only reason Ford would reintroduce the Thunderbird... if they let the Mustang morf into a grocery getter.

Thunderbird could be a Halo car for them. Well over 90k.

dirtwarrior

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2015 3.7 mustang
That retro look will never sell well

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Those people will never want a car for its attributes, only for the status.
The only reason Ford would reintroduce the Thunderbird... if they let the Mustang morf into a grocery getter.

Thunderbird could be a Halo car for them. Well over 90k.
I agree that it would be for status, but status can mean that a car is expensive and luxurious rather than being performance related. The base Corvette with all season tires isn't a great performer, but it does look good and it's somewhat expensive.

People buy lots of cars like that - Mercedes, Audi, Volvo, etc.