Sponsored

Ford to build FPC VOODOO till 2020

thePill

Camaro5's Most Wanted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550
I agree and can see where he was initially coming from, but even after the FP confirmation, he still comes in and says "It is a FPC and will be called the GT350R-C GT4" lol like come on man, I think Ford knows the name to their own race car, and they just said it was called the Mustang GT4 :p

Since it is a CPC 5.2 motor, I wonder do they have to homologate that and sell in production cars as well? I wonder if we could see a Mach 1 "option box" for the 5.0 in 2018, similar to the 1LE option for the Camaro SS!?!?
They do and here is the kicker...

The actual Flat Plane Crank, GT350 will continue to be an OEM vehicle. The middle ground...

This GT4, if it has a FPC 5.2 is the showcase for the next GT. At one time, the 2005 Mustang GTR was suppose to be the GT350 Prep'd GT.

The GT350R-C will be racing next season as well. I'm not sure if Ford's new Mustang GTR is coming, it could be a Mustang GT4 now.

The Voodoo will continue at least at the OEM level. Cost and complexity is the only reason a Global turn key wouldn't use the Voodoo. That an the engine builders can't keep up. If an actual engine builder came forward on Twitter about it continuing, it most likely will.

We are still missing thePill's MGTR... but if they are engineering a new CPC based on a Voodoo, I can see them changing the name to MGT4. It will fall between a GTPP and GT350.

The only reason I can see them going with a CPC GT4 is because the engine plant nor the contract included turn key race car engines.

If a 5.2 CPC is coming, it will not be a Mach 1... it needs to carry the GT4 logo and a GT350R GT4 isn't appropriate if it's not a FPC. That doesn't mean the a 2018 GT350 isn't coming. As the thread states, the actual engine builders got confirmation and one of them took to Twitter. That is the main reason I took to the Internet to discuss the 2018-2020 GT350...

One possibility here

The engine plant continues to make the FPC Voodoo for the GT350 until 2020. This is pretty much an absolute due to the engine builders confirmation. Yes, when someone at Ford comes forward with that Intel, it is true. Instead of a GT350 prep'd Mustang GTR coming, Ford could release a MGT4 instead. This would obviously signify that the name has been changed to reflect the GT4 class and the Mustang competing.

Regardless, A Mustang GT4 with a CPC 5.2 WILL NEED TO BE PRODUCED. Just as AMG, BMW and Porsche MUST DO for GT4. It actually must carry the name "GT4" because it is FIA rules. Romero is definitely making the Voodoo for 2018-'20 and since there is no class currently running a Voodoo except the GT350R-C, that means Ford will continue to produce them.

Ford has room for a Mustang GTR and that has always been openly discussed. Just as I never thought a GT350 would get its own engine, I'm surprised the GTR/GT4 will get its own race bred engine. As for the GT350R-C...it looks like it will continue to be allowed in IMSA as is. In fact, a the Mustang will have an overlap of a GT350R-C and a GT4.
Sponsored

Zitrosounds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Harold
Vehicle(s)
16 GT350R/16 GT350TP/15 GT-PP/12 GT-PP
My only thought is this.
If the voodoo flatplane is that great, why wouldn't ford continue using it in the GT4? and they can't say it's because of homologate because the 5.2 cross plane isn't either.
Reliabilty. Thats what I would say. And not becuase I and a few others have had engine failures but becuase it is an unknown for Ford.

thePill

Camaro5's Most Wanted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550
My only thought is this.
If the voodoo flatplane is that great, why wouldn't ford continue using it in the GT4? and they can't say it's because of homologate because the 5.2 cross plane isn't either.
Cost and complexity to the teams and it is possible that Romero cannot support OEM, FIA, SCCA and IMSA.

Ford has used a 5.2/5.3 in FIA long before the S550. Probably where the heads were tested.

The Voodoo is great... not even the GT4 can compete. It will continue as an OEM car until the contract is up.

5.0 435

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
.07 Shelby SGT #0016 ...18 GT PP1 manual
Reliabilty. Thats what I would say. And not becuase I and a few others have had engine failures but becuase it is an unknown for Ford.
They had no DNF regarding the engine in all the races they ran in 2016.

Sponsored

Zitrosounds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Harold
Vehicle(s)
:lol: OmG!!! Read the thread hahahahahahahaja!!!! Not just parts of it. !:headbonk::frusty::crazy::shrug:

Zitrosounds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Harold
Vehicle(s)
They had no DNF regarding the engine in all the races they ran in 2016.
Again, Ford has no data, specifically long term data.

Voodooo

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
Carroll Shelbys Soul Lives Under My GT350 Hood
Why are some people still debating the FPC vs CPC GT4? multimatic already said CPC. I don't believe any magazine or web articles. I also don't believe what the guys that answer the phones at Ford performance say. Like I said in my last few Post, I know I might get booed for saying that, but I've called those guys on so many other things in the past year since the GT350 came out and they literally know nothing. Why would anybody think they know about the GT4. I'm not disrespecting the people at ford performance, I'm just not agreeing with them. Christ it's been almost a year and still no trans coolers, all the "rumors" of the 92 & 100mm throttle body, track key, springs, etc. sorry but it doesn't take a year to design a throttle body, springs etc. Some have lost engines, some have other issues. Ford performance isn't a good source for info. I have called them months ago before taking all the suspension out of my GT350 to see if the rear IRS cradle was the same as non GT350's because I was going to just buy the Ford performance IRS cradle with the bushings already in it because it was nearly as much as just the bushings alone with my discount. They had no idea on the cradle, no idea on springs, no idea on rear sway bars or end links, etc. I had to do all the part number look ups myself and researched everything on my own.
When I received my gt350 last year and decided I wanted to prototype the ARH long tubes I also wanted to try the cobra jet intake. Ford Performance said the cobra jet intake ports wouldn't work on the 5.2 heads! REALLY? well not long after they released the 5.2 cross plane with the Cj intake!!
The only reason why the Cj intake doesn't fit is because of hood clearance. You can not lower the engine enough because the oil pan to cross member clearance in about 5/8" stock. The intake is 3" taller and when mounted it hits the hood and keeps the hood from latching shut by over 1". Sorry. But I can't agree with FP on the 5.2 GT4 crank rumors. But like I said, I don't care if it's a cross or flat plane crank! That car is BADASS!!!

thePill

Camaro5's Most Wanted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550
According to Ford and Dave P. the GT350 is the GT4's production sibling. Unless they made Ford change the engine like Corvette. That is the only way around homologation is if the governing body mandates those changes.

Other than that, Multimatic, Dean Martin, Ford or Roush Yates have not confirmed a new engine. It would be worth its own write up if it carried its own version of a Coyote/Voodoo hybrid for sure. Because if the changes weren't mandated by FIA then we can expect an OEM version of a hyped up GT350 based GT called a GT4.

Sponsored

thePill

Camaro5's Most Wanted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550
I would like to see it in writing from ford. The ford site doesn't say which engine. I'll see the car @ Daytona this coming January @ the continental IMSA race. For those of you who haven't been in the pits or infield @ Daytona it's just amazing seeing all the new race cars year after year. It's a packed house for sure.
According to Dave, the GT350 is the GT4's Production Sibling. While regulation may have forced them into a CPC, in order to homologate, the GT350 looks like it will continue.

Maybe they make an MGT4 instead of an MGTR and it's a CPC version of the GT350. However, it appears that the current OEM version of the GT350 was close enough to the race car to qualify.

The 5.2 CPC will probably be stretched to 5.4 and become Ecoboost for the GT500. With all the trucks incoming, the GT500 needed a base engine to share cost.

If a 5.2 GT4 takes the GT350's spot, it will be about $10,000 cheaper just due to the engine.

The future could be:

GT 5.0 CPC $35,000
GT4 5.2 CPC and a GT package $45,000
GT350 5.2 FPC $57,000
GT500 EB5.4 $65,000

It is a absolute fact, Ford will continue to build the Flat Plane Crank Voodoo for the GT350 until 2020. The only this that has changed is the GT4 car has used the 575hp Aluminator which is much cheaper AND, the 5.2 is probably the basis for the GT500 because it won't take a FPC.

FPCV8YO

Rode Hard & Put Away Wet
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 350Z GT Roadster
My only thought is this.
I wondered this as well. Could it be that the governing organization penalizes the FPC more than the CPC?

thePill

Camaro5's Most Wanted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550
I wondered this as well. Could it be that the governing organization penalizes the FPC more than the CPC?
FIA regulations also hindered the LS7, LSA, LS9, LT4 and the ATS-V's TTV6.

Most use a 5.5 liter version.

thePill

Camaro5's Most Wanted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550
Dave P has related the GT4 to the GT350 as production siblings. If we see changes to the formula and no OEM GT4 then the changes were mandated by FIA.

If we see an OEM GT4 to homologate the car in FIA, then the Voodoo was non-compliant.

Option #1 would still see a Voodoo based 5.2 sold as its production model. Option #2 would require them to sell a new Mustang GT4 with a CPC 5.2.

It will be strange because both GT350R-C and Mustang GT4 will compete in IMSA GT4 next year. Not the first time 2 Mustang's were sanctioned in the same class. Boss 302R and S with the FR500.

The old GT4 Mustang used a RoushYates 5.3 w/ sequential.

Something I forgot to write about... 5.5 is as large as you can go in FIA. The LT1 won't be able to use the 6.2.

Trackaholic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 350Z, 2016 GT350, 2018 Pacifica Hybrid
:headbonk:I just got of the phone with the POTUS and he assured me that the GT4 has a CPC ; )
Thanks Obama

I wonder where HRC and Trump stand on this critical issue.

I seem to recall some early exhaust issues with the GT350R-C, so perhaps they are going to a CPC not because of engine reliability, but because of how the vibrations affect the rest of the vehicle.

-T
Sponsored