Status
Not open for further replies.

EvilMerlin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Vehicle(s)
201 GT350 - Lead Foot Grey with Black stripes.

EvilMerlin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Vehicle(s)
Define the Police is a shitty name for a potentially good policy. It should be called Stop Sending the Police on Calls that they are not Trained or Equipped to Handle. Too often police are sent to handle such situations as: animal control (not safe/fair to the officer, or the animal) , mental health issues (because we already Defunded the Public Mental Health System), domestic violence (is an armed response the best way to deescalate?), and vagrancy (see mental health, as a disproportionate number of the homeless were released from public mental health facilities due to lack of funding). Once the burden of these very common calls is lifted, funding can be shifted to programs dedicated to handling these issues.

It's not about disbanding the police, it's about not making them do someone else's job, but rather giving the right person the job in the first place. They could go so far as to integrate some of these service into the departments. Got a potentially dangerous animal on the streets? An Animal Control Officer is sent, someone trained and specialized in safely handling the situation. There's a family living in an abandoned building? Don't chase them away with armed officers, send a department social worker. Society need a centralized system of enforcement, but we need to make major changes to how and when that enforcement is applied.
Its also about not giving police military equipment. Allowing them to wear military style uniforms.

There is NO reason a small town police department needs an MRAP.

There is no reason a patrol officer needs to be wearing full cammies and a MICH.

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
Define the Police is a shitty name for a potentially good policy. It should be called Stop Sending the Police on Calls that they are not Trained or Equipped to Handle. Too often police are sent to handle such situations as: animal control (not safe/fair to the officer, or the animal) , mental health issues (because we already Defunded the Public Mental Health System), domestic violence (is an armed response the best way to deescalate?), and vagrancy (see mental health, as a disproportionate number of the homeless were released from public mental health facilities due to lack of funding). Once the burden of these very common calls is lifted, funding can be shifted to programs dedicated to handling these issues.

It's not about disbanding the police, it's about not making them do someone else's job, but rather giving the right person the job in the first place. They could go so far as to integrate some of these service into the departments. Got a potentially dangerous animal on the streets? An Animal Control Officer is sent, someone trained and specialized in safely handling the situation. There's a family living in an abandoned building? Don't chase them away with armed officers, send a department social worker. Society need a centralized system of enforcement, but we need to make major changes to how and when that enforcement is applied.
Mik, great points across the board. But, there is still the 800lb elephant in the room. Bad cops. Regardless of what steps are taken to reform the overall system, police departments across the country have to find a way to deal with the few bad apples. This entire uprising took place due to a single police officer deciding he would be judge and jury for one man lying on the ground dying. Of course there were many other incidents that lead up to George Floyd, but he was the spark that lit the fuse.

There will be no progress until bad cops are called out and removed from service. Sounds easy to do but we know better. Some departments are already making changes and seeing progress. We need a lot more of that to happen.

Threebanger

I am legend.
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bray
Vehicle(s)
2020 Twister Orange GT350
Vehicle Showcase
The Ford Foundation is not FMC. Do your homework.

and i quote - "Other than its name, the Ford Foundation has not had any connection to the Ford Motor Company or the Ford family for over 30 years. Henry Ford II, the last family member on the board of trustees, resigned from the foundation board in 1976, encouraging foundation staff to remain open to new ideas and work to strengthen the country’s economic system.”

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
Its also about not giving police military equipment. Allowing them to wear military style uniforms.
There is no reason a patrol officer needs to be wearing full cammies and a MICH.
I respectfully disagree. It's not the level of equipment or the style of the uniforms. It's the people. It's the quality of the people. I've seen a number of pictures of police and national guard members hugging civilians.

Now there is also a big difference between a big city and a suburban police departments. Down here in Myrtle Beach our regular patrol cops wear standard uniforms and side gear (great bunch of folks too). But the SWAT team is another matter. And they should be and need to be.

Sponsored

MaskedRacerX

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
DT
Vehicle(s)
'21_JWS4XE / '21_TM3P

Yep, there's hundreds of examples of law enforcement owning extremely expensive equipment that doesn't get used - yet we've got teachers having to buy their own school supplies.

Defund was clearly a bad choice of words, it's really, "Examine funding for law enforcement in the context of their duties", which of course means no spending on ridiculous equipment, spend more on training (yes, spend more as needed), and divert funds to other services that should be performing some of the jobs LE is being asked to do. You want to get an earful, talk to a dispatcher sometime, they've heard it all.

A took a class with an instructor who was a law enforcement consultant, and he was a huge advocate for much better hiring/training, including things like requiring a 4 year degree, tons of peripheral training (meds, EMS, psychological), more requirements, mean better pay - and that results in a higher quality candidate.

Oh sorry, this thread started political, and has gone on a little longer than expected, I specifically steer clear of the political area on here as I spend significant time in that space on other sites, so I'll refrain from posting anymore :)

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
Yep, there's hundreds of examples of law enforcement owning extremely expensive equipment that doesn't get used - yet we've got teachers having to buy their own school supplies.
This is certainly true but you need to look at your state and local governments for why this is occurring. They are the ones that write the budgets and fund the purchases. It's up to the public to tell their elected officials what they want their tax dollars spent on. Guns or textbooks.

OP
OP

Fasttangturbo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Keith
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang gt
I respectfully disagree. It's not the level of equipment or the style of the uniforms. It's the people. It's the quality of the people. I've seen a number of pictures of police and national guard members hugging civilians.

Now there is also a big difference between a big city and a suburban police departments. Down here in Myrtle Beach our regular patrol cops wear standard uniforms and side gear (great bunch of folks too). But the SWAT team is another matter. And they should be and need to be.
Maybe you should have read the whole article. Henry Ford the 3rd who is manager of fords marketing department and is next in line to be chair of FMC is now on the board of the ford foundation. So they are connected. If you can’t connect the two idk what to tell you. Maybe a lobotomy? Fords ceo defends the police but says there’s racial injustice and we need police reforming, instead of actually looking up facts, cause facts do matter, and know that’s a fallacy and maybe he should say I support the police.

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
Maybe you should have read the whole article. Henry Ford the 3rd who is manager of fords marketing department and is next in line to be chair of FMC is now on the board of the ford foundation. So they are connected. If you can’t connect the two idk what to tell you. Maybe a lobotomy? Fords ceo defends the police but says there’s racial injustice and we need police reforming, instead of actually looking up facts, cause facts do matter, and know that’s a fallacy and maybe he should say I support the police.
Please go back in your cave. I was responding to a post by Evil Merlin.

Mikthehun1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'
I just saw my typo. I think I've inadvertently made the best possible slogan. Instead of 'Defund' I wrote 'Define'. "Define the Police" actually works better. Can we get some kids over here to put it on TikTok or whatever?

Sponsored

EvilMerlin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Vehicle(s)

Having spent over 20 year in the military, uniforms very much are a part of it, or rather can be. The Rambo Condition is real and I've seen the impact on cops before.

Quality for sure is the prevalent factor, but when you have the Thin Blue Line and corrupt Police Unions protecting even the most evil fucker, well this is what happens. Far too many good cops did as their conscience told them and they then ended up without a job because of that stupid Thin Blue Line. All for reporting criminal behaviour inside the force.

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
I just saw my typo. I think I've inadvertently made the best possible slogan. Instead of 'Defund' I wrote 'Define'. "Define the Police" actually works better. Can we get some kids over here to put it on TikTok or whatever?
“Mik for President “ :clap:

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
Having spent over 20 year in the military, uniforms very much are a part of it, or rather can be. The Rambo Condition is real and I've seen the impact on cops before.

Quality for sure is the prevalent factor, but when you have the Thin Blue Line and corrupt Police Unions protecting even the most evil fucker, well this is what happens. Far too many good cops did as their conscience told them and they then ended up without a job because of that stupid Thin Blue Line. All for reporting criminal behaviour inside the force.
I understand your point on the uniforms. Appearances do count. I certainly agree with your second comment. You do not want a good cop to go down when it isn’t warranted but the bad ones have to go.

ugstang17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
none
The Ford Foundation is not FMC. Do your homework.

and i quote - "Other than its name, the Ford Foundation has not had any connection to the Ford Motor Company or the Ford family for over 30 years. Henry Ford II, the last family member on the board of trustees, resigned from the foundation board in 1976, encouraging foundation staff to remain open to new ideas and work to strengthen the country’s economic system.”
Guess you did not take time to read response number 2 in this thread. Point already been made.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.